Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extreme battery loss on Model 3 (˜10% per day) since 2023.20.4.1. Contacted service and told this is normal (more info below)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Another thread about the same issue, resolved for one owner after RCM replaced.

Still having the issue on 2023.26.1 unfortunately but now I lost the ability to use autosteer and have no visualizations once again either. Not sure WTF they are doing. The SA ghosted me as well. Told me make a device appointment in the app but I don’t have the option to. I can only submit reports and no one gets back to me.
You can't request a service appt at all? For anything? Or are you just saying it won't let you make a follow up appt for this issue?

Yea, if you report a battery problem it doesn't schedule an appointment. They run a diagnostic in the background then decide when to reach out to you.
Just make an appointment in a different category. They probably do the automated test to filter out people that are unaware of the standard sleep patterns of Tesla (Sentry, Summon standby, Cabin overheat can keep car awake).

The SA is not tasked with handling service issues, you are supposed to contact service.

Just confirming that my RCM was replaced yesterday and after driving home the car went to sleep immediately and has been sleeping all night (11 hours and counting!). I would love to know if the issue was that the software update actually damaged the RCM or whether the RCM always had an issue and the software update just exposed it. Anyway, for my car this this issue is now resolved.

Reactions: bloke79
Just confirming that my RCM was replaced yesterday and after driving home the car went to sleep immediately and has been sleeping all night (11 hours and counting!). I would love to know if the issue was that the software update actually damaged the RCM or whether the RCM always had an issue and the software update just exposed it. Anyway, for my car this this issue is now resolved.
Great to hear, would you mind sharing your invoice number? I’d like to attach it to my service appointment so I can provide more evidence.

If that is the case, they should need to recall the vehicles to get them fixed. It would have been so much easier if they did that.

So far it's a fairly rare issue and also Tesla will likely argue it's not a safety issue, so not recall worthy (perhaps TSB).
I'm curious though, is TSB "free" for car owners?

Seems like this is new grey zone for EVs where a software update caused my car to start draining excess power, or "perform out of spec", according to Tesla's own website anyway.

In this case, a software update caused a hardware replacement. If I'm outside of warranty, that would be a cost to consumers then?

TSBs are free under warranty, but not free out of warranty. The difference with a recall is that recalls are free even if car is out of warranty.

Also generally recalls are required, so automakers have to send out letters to owners to take their cars in to be done. TSBs are generally only done when owners complain, although some are done proactively (when car is in for something else).

Reactions: MP3Mike
Update, I also had the RCM replaced. Problem was fixed immediately. Couple days later and the car is still sleeping correctly and the battery drain is gone.

I’d suggest for anyone trying to get an appointment is once you get talking to virtual service in the chat provide hard evidence from the energy app in car. For me I showed 2 photos of the energy consumption over 12 hours. It was clearly losing 7-8% in “Vehicle Standby”.

My cruise and parking assist stopped working too. That seems to get their attention more than just random battery drain.

Keep pushing service, it’s not normal. And stress when you drop it off they need to drive it before saying it’s fixed. They tried to get rid of me with resetting the high voltage twice. I insisted they drive it.

The techs were aware of the problem. They referenced an internal article. I suspect Tesla is very aware of the problem. I was told I got the last RCM in the country and that other SCs now have a one month wait for the part.

For me it all went wrong at 2023.12.4.1. I’d love to know if that update somehow damaged the RCM or if it only added firmware that is causing this problem. If it’s not physically damaged Tesla has a huge incentive to re-flash firmware on it in a later software update to fix it, if they can.

Anyone tried 2023.20.6 that just came out?

I suspect this is a problem for all mid 2022 model 3 and Ys onwards that installed 2023.20.4.1 (installed mid June) as apparently that’s when a new version of the RCM module was used. See this YouTube video for details.

Reactions: lunaj23
Update, I also had the RCM replaced. Problem was fixed immediately. Couple days later and the car is still sleeping correctly and the battery drain is gone.

I’d suggest for anyone trying to get an appointment is once you get talking to virtual service in the chat provide hard evidence from the energy app in car. For me I showed 2 photos of the energy consumption over 12 hours. It was clearly losing 7-8% in “Vehicle Standby”.

My cruise and parking assist stopped working too. That seems to get their attention more than just random battery drain.

Keep pushing service, it’s not normal. And stress when you drop it off they need to drive it before saying it’s fixed. They tried to get rid of me with resetting the high voltage twice. I insisted they drive it.

The techs were aware of the problem. They referenced an internal article. I suspect Tesla is very aware of the problem. I was told I got the last RCM in the country and that other SCs now have a one month wait for the part.

For me it all went wrong at 2023.12.4.1. I’d love to know if that update somehow damaged the RCM or if it only added firmware that is causing this problem. If it’s not physically damaged Tesla has a huge incentive to re-flash firmware on it in a later software update to fix it, if they can.

Anyone tried 2023.20.6 that just came out?

I suspect this is a problem for all mid 2022 model 3 and Ys onwards that installed 2023.20.4.1 (installed mid June) as apparently that’s when a new version of the RCM module was used. See this YouTube video for details.
2023.26.6 is not available for me yet, currently on 2023.20.9. If it is available before my service appointment, I’ll install and let you all know if it resolved the issue. Or if any new issues arise lol

Reactions: greg1
Just got message from Tesla service that they replaced my RCM module. They were able to confirm that it was the unit responsible for constantly pinging the car and keeping it awake. I can see through the Tessie app that my car did indeed go to sleep finally last night. They confirmed the fix and I'm going to pick up the car today. Will monitor to see if it did indeed fix the issue, but glad that they were able to outright say that they identified the RCM module as the culprit in their diagnostics.

Reactions: kevin_camera
Just got message from Tesla service that they replaced my RCM module. They were able to confirm that it was the unit responsible for constantly pinging the car and keeping it awake. I can see through the Tessie app that my car did indeed go to sleep finally last night. They confirmed the fix and I'm going to pick up the car today. Will monitor to see if it did indeed fix the issue, but glad that they were able to outright say that they identified the RCM module as the culprit in their diagnostics.
Could you please share your invoice number? I have my appointment later today.

Dropping off the car later today, but for the last two days my auto pilot, cruise control, visualization, parking assist, live camera view all hasn’t been working for the last few days. I believe others started to have these same issues.

Dropping off the car later today, but for the last two days my auto pilot, cruise control, visualization, parking assist, live camera view all hasn’t been working for the last few days. I believe others started to have these same issues.
Can confirm that the tech who replaced my RCM reported that it likely caused autopilot module to get overloaded and not work. They suspect it to be the same issue. Just got home and was able to see the vehicle go to sleep.

1691629398354.png

Mines booked in for a replacement part (I’m assuming the RCM) later this month too.

Also, seems my car is collecting errors. Radio module has now died. Any one else getting this error, or unrelated?

Attachments

• IMG_2897.jpeg
    IMG_2897.jpeg
    630.5 KB · Views: 79