Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extremely loud air conditioning and while charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I gotta think this isn't normal. I've never heard a car this loud before. And it's not like it's always been this loud, it started a few months ago.
Yes, something has gone wrong with the compressor in the A/C.

You need to get it checked out and fixed ASAP. It may be leaking refrigerant, and the refrigerant causes ozone depletion and global warming (though not as bad as the old Freon, it still does).

Appointment made!

Interesting development on this. My service appointment was set for tomorrow, August 1. Today, a Tesla service guy called and said they had reviewed [something I later realized meant they had downloaded and reviewed the logs in my car] and decided to proactively order me some parts -- two sensors and something else. (I was driving when he called and did not catch everything he said.) The parts won't be in until Friday or Saturday, so would I like to slide my appointment out to next week after the parts arrive? i said yes, and we set the date for next week.
How about that for proactive service? Looking at the log data in advance, ordering parts in advance, and calling me to help me avoid wasting time! It could still be true that they won't find anything wrong, but I appreciate the approach.
Meanwhile, today was 93-95F and I did a fair amount of driving around this morning. The AC seemed fine, and we were comfortable. So, it could be an intermittent problem. That could make diagnosis difficult.

Reactions: Joe F
Then you've not heard mine. It was what, 100 yesterday in Philly? My S sounded like a jet taking off when parked in a heat soaked parking log for an hour yesterday when I got back in the car. Supercharging on hot day after a highway run, even louder. Normal.

Same; it always amazes me how loud that battery cooling fan is when it's hot as stink and you plug into the supercharger for a few minutes; can hear it several hundred feet away still when you walk away from the car.

Reactions: Ciaopec
Glad to know I’m not the only one with a Tesla that sounds like a Falcon Heavy launch. Most people think of electric cars as silent (or at least just emitting that gentle wooshing sound that KITT made in Knight Rider). It’s kind of embarrassing walking up to my pre-cooling car in a busy parking lot, with everyone staring to see if it’s about to lift off! :p

My cousin's M3 (actual M3 by BMW, not a Model 3 by Tesla) is remarkably loud with its cooling as well. So much so, you can barely hear the engine over the fans and compressors. I mentioned it to him, and he said people complained about the previous models not being as track-ready as they should be, so they beefed up the cooling abilities of the newer models.

I even talked to the SC when I first had my car spool up cooling in hot weather, because it was so damn loud, they told me it was normal (as it is)- but making noise while failing to cool down the car certainly isn't! It's amazing when our cars are totally silent, but there's just no replacement for moving lots of air!

My experience is a little different from everyone in this post. Initially back in 2015 when I got the car I noticed when we supercharged the car exhibited loud AC noise. I understood the mechanics behind it and did not think twice. After 4 years of ownership with 75,000+ miles the AC compressor failed while supercharging my car. I believed the AC compressor was wearing out slowly over the past months as I noticed it when I supercharged it was louder then it was initially. Even the past few months at home charging via level 2 I can hear the difference. There were no other noises besides just sounded it was working harder. Unfortunately my car failed at Baker supercharger and that day it was 106F. We were stranded out there for a little while due to remote location. The experience was not pleasant where the family had to ride with the tow truck in to Vegas, but we got there. My recommendation is to monitor it closely.

It is a horrible experience when you are on a road trip and the whole car seize up because of the AC compressor.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
My experience is a little different from everyone in this post. Initially back in 2015 when I got the car I noticed when we supercharged the car exhibited loud AC noise. I understood the mechanics behind it and did not think twice. After 4 years of ownership with 75,000+ miles the AC compressor failed while supercharging my car. I believed the AC compressor was wearing out slowly over the past months as I noticed it when I supercharged it was louder then it was initially. Even the past few months at home charging via level 2 I can hear the difference. There were no other noises besides just sounded it was working harder. Unfortunately my car failed at Baker supercharger and that day it was 106F. We were stranded out there for a little while due to remote location. The experience was not pleasant where the family had to ride with the tow truck in to Vegas, but we got there. My recommendation is to monitor it closely.

It is a horrible experience when you are on a road trip and the whole car seize up because of the AC compressor.

One would think that there would be some internal "tell" that Tesla could monitor and predict AC compressor failures, such as higher current loads for "x" output, etc., and give the driver advance notice?

There must be something?

Glad you finally made it, but what an adventure.

Wait -- Why does the "whole car seize up?" Is it because the battery then cannot be cooled? Or are there other associated failures -- I have read about electrical failures happening in conjunction with AC failure. Curious if there is a definitive reason the car can't be used. Thanks.

@TSLA Pilot- Unfortunately there were no advanced notices i received with this issue. The compressor exhibit loud noise about Feb-Mar of this year. To top it off I took the car for a regular service about a month (May) before my trip (June) to Vegas and Tesla crew didn't pick that problem up during service. I am not going into the experience with Tesla Service that is whole separate conversation.

@David29- You are correct about without AC compressor the car will not be able manage the temperature of the battery and that puts the car into inoperable mode. Second, due to the fact there is an issue with the AC compressor. Eventually, the 12V battery was completely drained due to the inefficiency of the AC compressor (working extra hard to maintain proper temperature while supercharging). Dead 12V makes the car inoperable as well. My 12V battery is fairly new as I replaced it in Jan of this year. When the car was in the Service Center they mentioned about possibility of electrical component failures with their experience. It took them half of a day to pull log from the car, and it was identified it was just the AC compressor failed. In the end the AC compressor and 12V battery was replaced to get the car back on the road. Thanks

Hope this helps.

• Informative
Reactions: erik_k and David29
In the end the AC compressor and 12V battery was replaced to get the car back on the road. Thanks

Hope this helps.

Did they ONLY replace the AC compressor (beside your 12V battery)? I had almost the entire system replaced because it “comes as a set”. Which cost me a little over $ 3,500 even though ONlY the AC compressor was defect.
How much was the replacement of the compressor?

@Helmuth I am not sure if it was a set or just the compressor. Out of my work order indicated "Compressor, A/C Electric- HVCC(1028398-00-J) and two different O rings. Also, they recharged the EVAC as well in the work order. My extended warranty I purchased covered the cost of the work. I don't have the cost of the parts in my order.

Interesting development on this. My service appointment was set for tomorrow, August 1. Today, a Tesla service guy called and said they had reviewed [something I later realized meant they had downloaded and reviewed the logs in my car] and decided to proactively order me some parts -- two sensors and something else. (I was driving when he called and did not catch everything he said.) The parts won't be in until Friday or Saturday, so would I like to slide my appointment out to next week after the parts arrive? i said yes, and we set the date for next week.
How about that for proactive service? Looking at the log data in advance, ordering parts in advance, and calling me to help me avoid wasting time! It could still be true that they won't find anything wrong, but I appreciate the approach.
Meanwhile, today was 93-95F and I did a fair amount of driving around this morning. The AC seemed fine, and we were comfortable. So, it could be an intermittent problem. That could make diagnosis difficult.

My car is at the Service Center today. I was given a loaner (via Enterprise), a 2018 Model S 75D. What a difference in the AC from my car to the loaner! Much more air flow, especially, and faster cool-down. So that confirms to me that something is wrong. I hope they are able to fix it....

My car is at the Service Center today. I was given a loaner (via Enterprise), a 2018 Model S 75D. What a difference in the AC from my car to the loaner! Much more air flow, especially, and faster cool-down. So that confirms to me that something is wrong. I hope they are able to fix it....

In case anyone is interested -- The Service Center found that an actuator had failed and needed replacement. This actuator controls one of the louvers or doors in the grill that allow air in for cooling. (See photo of the louvers in one of the posts in this thread, about half-way back...) I have read that this is not an uncommon failure. They also replaced a couple of sensors. Not sure if the sensors had failed but they had told me in advance that the logs indicated I needed the sensors. I only made a short trip home after I picked up the car, but the difference was immediately noticeable so hopefully the system is now back to how it should be.

The ones under the headlights should open "when needed". Can you tell if the fans are on behind the louvers? It seams like I could feel air trying to be pulled through.

I just went out ad turned on the AC in my car sitting in the sun. The AC and fans spooled up pretty quickly. The louvers opened after about 30-45 seconds

The actuator that opens one or both of these louvers is what had failed on my car. Now fixed.