Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EZpass

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Max*

Charging
Apr 8, 2015
NoVa
I read on the other forum that the Model 3 likely has a coated windshield, and the manual says to place the EZpass transponder to the right of the mirror.

How well does it work? We have FLEX (can change from HOV to nonHOV with a switch), so I need the transponder to register pretty much every time.

I’ve tried pretty much every spot on my windshield and have never gotten it to consistently work. I make sure my license plate info is up to date on the EZpass site and sometimes I roll down the window and hold it out. Some have gotten success but mounting it to the front bumper....but that’s a just no for me.

• Informative
Reactions: Max*
I have it bumper mounted on the S, half the time it doesn't register (it goes through my plate), but with FLEX I need to be physically able to flip a switch.

Sigh, my wife won't like this. Thanks for that info.

Your best bet is to test it at some of the toll booths on the Dulles Toll Road since they show you when it reads and the gates won't let you go if it doesn't read, thus avoiding a toll. You can play around with this and find a place on your vehicle that works. On a lot of Model Ses, the transponder will only work in the rear window, which is a pain in the butt if you're switching back and forth between normal and flex modes (rear passenger has to make the changes). The Model X seems to work fine at the very top edge of the windshield.

Experimenting on the 495 and 95 express lanes is dangerous because Transurban won't bill your account even if your license plate is on file and they'll happily send you a bill that includes a pretty stiff fine. You can appeal the fine, but only once... any subsequent violations are tough luck. I know from experience, unfortunately.

• Informative
If there's a location on the 3 which will consistently work on the 495 HOT lanes, we're golden.

When my wife drives the kids, it's 3 of them. When she's alone, she sometimes uses it.

We're still waiting to configure, trying to get all the info before making a decision. While this isn't a deal breaker, it's a big headache.

And I know I can call to activate flex on the bumper transponder, I do on the S. She won't on the 3...

If there's a location on the 3 which will consistently work on the 495 HOT lanes, we're golden.

When my wife drives the kids, it's 3 of them. When she's alone, she sometimes uses it.

We're still waiting to configure, trying to get all the info before making a decision. While this isn't a deal breaker, it's a big headache.

And I know I can call to activate flex on the bumper transponder, I do on the S. She won't on the 3...

I didn't know you could call to have your bumper transponder switched between regular and FLEX modes. It's kind of a pain in the neck, but at least it's an option.

I'm sure that the transponder will work somewhere on a Model 3. It's just figuring out where that magic location is.

I didn't know you could call to have your bumper transponder switched between regular and FLEX modes. It's kind of a pain in the neck, but at least it's an option.

I'm sure that the transponder will work somewhere on a Model 3. It's just figuring out where that magic location is.
Thanks.

You call them 30 minutes in advance, and they switch it. They can turn it on up to 7 days consecutively. Have to call during business hours, though.

The FLEX pass works well on the HOT Lanes, Dulles Toll Road and so far anywhere EZ-Pass is accepted that I have tried by putting it to the right of the mirror. Unlike the S, there is not a special spot you need to place it in order for it to work. It’s just a regular windshield like any other car.

I have had it mounted to the right of my mirror until this weekend when I took it down to spray paint it black to hide better behind the windshield and needed some new fasteners before reattaching it. Today, I held it up to the left of the mirror while driving on the Dulles Toll Road and got an early read at every toll booth. In my one month experience, there is no issue regardless of where on the windshield you want to put it.

I had plenty of problems finding the perfect spot for the EZ Pass on the refresh Model S windshield, but not issues at all with the Model 3. I haven't gotten the replacement velcro to attach it to the windshield (also thinking about returning one so I get the newer, smaller units for the Model 3 instead of the bulkier square ones I have). We've been holding it up while going through the tolls - tried it to the right of the rearview mirror, below rearview mirror, works every time. So far only PA Turnpike, but when we got the S we had trouble just about everywhere until we found the right spot (to the right of the rear view mirror, rotated 90 degrees for us).

• Informative
I will not be using the toll road transponder on a daily basis, maybe 4 times a month. I don't like to see it permanently in my line of sight and I wonder if it could be mounted with a suction cup or some other temporary means on the model 3 windshield. If mounted with velcro, you still have the ugly velcro strips when I remove it. Any experience with that?

I ended up swapping my transponders out for exterior transponders. They mount over the license plate using the existing screws. It's a couple bucks more than the interior transponder but well worth not having to see it and deal with reception issues.

Anybody with experience with the I-Pass in Illinois? I-Pass is pretty much an EZPass with a different name. We can use it anywhere EZPass is accepted.

I had I-Pass for nearly a decade before switching to EZPass because of the FLEX transponders for HOV in Virginia. I-Pass is far superior to EZPass in terms of customer service and accounting. If you don't need FLEX, stick with I-Pass.

I put mine on the sunroof. Works fine for Washington state.

Attachments

• MVIMG_20180211_163010.jpg
    MVIMG_20180211_163010.jpg
    487.2 KB · Views: 112
  • Informative
I ended up swapping my transponders out for exterior transponders. They mount over the license plate using the existing screws. It's a couple bucks more than the interior transponder but well worth not having to see it and deal with reception issues.
While that may work for some, FLEX is a physical switch on the interior transponder, so I can't easily switch to the exterior one...

Reactions: Big Earl