Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Factory OEM SiriusXM nearly working in Tesla 2022 Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
they opened a SC in Temecula? I missed that...thanks!

Sure, NP. Its a bit off topic for this discussion but in any case, here is the info for it:

Temecula-Rancho Way
43191 Rancho Way
Temecula, CA 92590

Reactions: crackers8199
Obviously this is a choice you have to make on buying it directly from Tesla and being out those funds, but would Tesla allow you to return it just in case it doesn't work out?
if it doesn't work out I'm sure it can be sold on ebay...there don't seem to be many available. someone far enough from a SC who has the ability to change it out themselves might want it.

if it doesn't work out I'm sure it can be sold on ebay...there don't seem to be many available. someone far enough from a SC who has the ability to change it out themselves might want it.
it doesn't look like you need a VIN to order the C tuner

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-07-26 at 1.30.08 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-26 at 1.30.08 PM.png
    31.4 KB · Views: 99
I might have found the problem with the 2022s. Someone check my work and verify:

So on the 2022 Models I was looking at the x908M/F connector and noticed the chassis CAN was using pins 13/14 which are shared with the tuner:
1658879572529.png

This is done through a bus/splice further up the harness:
1658879632675.png

On the Model Y, the chassis CAN enters through dedicated pins:

1658879780883.png

And similar to the Model 3:

1658879888770.png

I don't understand how the CAN protocol works: if it's filtering out the XM packets or if the network address is hard coded and changed in the 2022 for the MCU? Either way, I think the 2022 model might be having problems due to this change of several chassis modules entering through pins 13 + 14 for the CAN.

As I've said before, I don't have an adequate literacy of these diagrams but I can at least recognize patterns, seeing the difference in the 2022 diagram.

I don't understand how the CAN protocol works: if it's filtering out the XM packets or if the network address is hard coded and changed in the 2022 for the MCU? Either way, I think the 2022 model might be having problems due to this change of several chassis modules entering through pins 13 + 14 for the CAN.

If I'm understanding what you're saying, is the suggestion that the signal from the MCU for "Tuner Source Change" might actually be sent properly, but that its just never making it to the Tuner because of the different chassis modules?

Wouldn't that mean that simply splicing the CANbus from closer to the tuner (before the other modules) and running that directly to the tuner might allow for passage of the signal we're looking for?

If I'm understanding what you're saying, is the suggestion that the signal from the MCU for "Tuner Source Change" might actually be sent properly, but that its just never making it to the Tuner because of the different chassis modules?

Wouldn't that mean that simply splicing the CANbus from closer to the tuner (before the other modules) and running that directly to the tuner might allow for passage of the signal we're looking for?

Possibly. I haven't seen anyone really address the the architectural changes to the CAN in the newer models, and until now, I don't think anyone has seen it as significant. Looking at the older documentation on Model S's, the ethernet signal is on some sort of "EtherCAN" network. I couldn't find any further explanation of this and the Model 3 ethernet API seems unique anyways; there appears to be a standardized service-based protocol layered on the 100Base-T communication.

I looked through various CAN databases on the Model 3 and nothing mentions the tuner, FM, or Sirius commands. I interpreted this as the CANbus being on a different network but if they were somehow combined, how would that even work? If it were simply a matter of addressing the tuner via CAN signals, then maybe the SiriusXM ID is colliding or being pushed out by the chassis IDs, so you would need to change the tuner ID at your own peril, or isolate it from the modules (jumpers or wirelessly). On the other hand, it looks like the tuner is being controlled by the ethernet protocol, so if we assume that, why does the CANbus only interfere with the SiriusXM signals and not the FM?

I have more questions than answers because I only learned about this in earnest yesterday; also I still might be wrong about the chassis CAN and read the diagrams incorrectly. No one else has verified it :O

Reactions: ArtK
Isn't that just playing a streaming station, not the actual XM signal? Side note, are you getting the streaming SiriusXM channels now or are those coincidental? On my car it recognizes the command but doesn't respond to it (command not available).
It changes the XM station on MCU by voice command. 100% getting XM from antennae not WiFi streaming.

Heard back from a Tesla rep and got this msg

1143716-00-C : not available

1143711-00-C: not available

1622932-00-B = radio tuner AVAILABLE for $225 plus service

Last edited: