Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Factory OEM SiriusXM nearly working in Tesla 2022 Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Part of my motivations in installing SXM was after driving out west and losing service for many hours at a time. Sometimes where you want to go doesn't have cell phone towers.

same here, on a very similar drive. the first road trip I took in the 3 when I first took delivery in 2018 was through south Dakota, Wyoming, and Utah. after having to listen to the opening weekend of college football in fits and starts, I said never again...installed the onyx a few weeks later, then of course went this route once it was figured out.

Reactions: ph0ton
Hey guys, I went through this install today with great success actually but I'm a little confused what to do with these two connectors I have left over....

I purchased the dual fakra adapter, and I don't see a place to plug in either one of these things.

I used a Model S Plaid XM/FM Tuner, and the fakra K to Sirius Antenna adapter, and also installed the additional FM amplifier. However, I'm curious did you guys have an original FM amplifier? I didn't find one at all when I took my car apart.

I drilled out the top left hole of the factory mounting case, so that it hangs slightly lower and doesn't apply any pressure on the Fakra Adapter and also found a genius routing location for the antenna. I wanted to keep it off my paint and also not drill any holes into the firewall plug that people commonly use. It mounts to a tiny metal plate with sticky back I had lying around in my garage, and then across the top of the frunk area completely hidden, then through the hole inbetween fender and body, then into the rubber seal, down along the bottom of the door frames and back up to the Tuner. Reception is excellent in this location so far testing it on a quick drive.

Install pics below. Can somebody tell me what I'm supposed to plug in these connectors to? I used the White plug that was installed into the original tuner and plugged it directly into the additional FM tuner I purchased, but like I said I don't see an original one anywhere. The system already works perfectly without them plugged in. I just direct tuned to an FM station I know and picked it up easily, and also transferred my lifetime Sirius Platinum subscription to the radio ID and it worked immediately after rebooting the car.

IMG_0719.jpg
IMG_0718.jpg
IMG_0717.jpg
IMG_0716.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I just really don't know what to do with these connectors.......

Hey guys, I went through this install today with great success actually but I'm a little confused what to do with these two connectors I have left over....

I purchased the dual fakra adapter, and I don't see a place to plug in either one of these things.

I used a Model S Plaid XM/FM Tuner, and the fakra K to Sirius Antenna adapter, and also installed the additional FM amplifier. However, I'm curious did you guys have an original FM amplifier? I didn't find one at all when I took my car apart.

the factory installed FM amp is on the opposite side of the car (passenger c-pillar). the non-ribbon cable that originally went to the model 3 FM tuner comes from that amp (under the trim, of course, so you only see the very end of it).

I drilled out the top left hole of the factory mounting case, so that it hangs slightly lower and doesn't apply any pressure on the Fakra Adapter

this is actually a pretty genius idea. i might have to try this at some point so i can put the bolt back in, although i may have already messed it up by trying a different screw and cross-threading it (had a horrific time getting that damn thing back out after doing that). i'll have to decide if it's worth the effort, as i haven't had any issues leaving that bolt out.

and also found a genius routing location for the antenna. I wanted to keep it off my paint and also not drill any holes into the firewall plug that people commonly use. It mounts to a tiny metal plate with sticky back I had lying around in my garage, and then across the top of the frunk area completely hidden, then through the hole inbetween fender and body, then into the rubber seal, down along the bottom of the door frames and back up to the Tuner. Reception is excellent in this location so far testing it on a quick drive.

Install pics below. Can somebody tell me what I'm supposed to plug in these connectors to? I used the White plug that was installed into the original tuner and plugged it directly into the additional FM tuner I purchased, but like I said I don't see an original one anywhere. The system already works perfectly without them plugged in. I just direct tuned to an FM station I know and picked it up easily, and also transferred my lifetime Sirius Platinum subscription to the radio ID and it worked immediately after rebooting the car.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I just really don't know what to do with these connectors.......

you have everything connected correctly as far as the satellite antenna to fakra and the dual fakra on the radio antenna end of the tuner goes, which is why it's already working for the most part. the dual fakra is likely acting as a pseudo-antenna which is allowing you to at least get some stations, although the range is going to be greatly reduced from how well it'll work if you connect the rest of it.

from there, there are 3 connections left to make if you want to have everything connected and using both sides of the antenna...

1) the original cable that went to the original FM tuner goes to one side of the dual fakra
2) the other side of the dual fakra goes to the new antenna amp you have installed on the right side of the tuner there
3) you need three jumper wires to go from the ribbon cable to the top of the second antenna amp

you can see the jumper wires (orange, red, white) running from the ribbon to the amp in this finished up pic of my wiring from before i snapped the cover back on. keep in mind that polarity matters (i'm pretty sure it does, anyway), so make sure you have them connected correctly...obviously the middle one goes to the middle on both ends, but make sure the two sides are connected from the correct port on the ribbon to the correct port on the amp.

finished-wiring.jpg

That all makes perfect sense, appreciate the response. I guess I will need to go ahead and purchase another adapter then because both ends coming out of my dual Fakra Adapter are male, and the additional FM tuner I purchased is also Male. I'm planning to buy the product linked below this evening and hook it up once it arrives. Jumper wires showed up today but I'll wait to do those until the other adapter comes in. Will report back.

Now I just gotta figure out why the radio doesn't get Howard Stern or the NFL play-by-play channels. When I was on the siriusXM website transferring my subscription over it said that these channels wouldn't be available based on the radios capability. I don't care about the Howard Stern, but I do care about the NFL play by play channels. I'm going to wait to see if I can directly tune to them during a game this weekend to see if it says that, but I can still access the channels anyway. Wondering though, if anybody purchased the Model X Tuner instead of the Plaid model that I purchased, if those channels are available to them? That may be something we want to point out for people doing this mod in the future, if only one of the models is capable of full 100% channels available on the Platinum subscription. I bought the 1622932-00-B with a manufacture date of 10/10/2022.

Here's the adapter I'm going to buy to hook up the second FM amp to the Fakra Dual Connector.

I'm assuming you guys didn't need to buy one of these, because I didn't see it in the write-up, but I may have just missed it. Aside from that, you guys did some really great work figuring this out, because the mod took me maybe 25 minutes and was well worth it. I was looking into trying to do a stealthy install before, but gave up for a while. My car is a 2018 P, and it feels great to finally have Sirius again since it's my usual road trip car.

Reactions: crackers8199
I'm assuming you guys didn't need to buy one of these, because I didn't see it in the write-up, but I may have just missed it.

actually, you're right - i did miss it in the parts list. you can see it in my wiring picture (the female to female fakra running from the antenna amp to one end of the dual fakra), i just forgot to put it in the parts list. i just updated my blog post to reflect that!

Now I just gotta figure out why the radio doesn't get Howard Stern or the NFL play-by-play channels.

i can tell you for myself using the older model S/X tuner i do have access to both howard and the NFL play by play channels. i don't see why the newer tuner wouldn't have those, but i'll let someone else who might have used the plaid tuner and has an account that should have access to those channels as well weigh in. i'm curious myself now.

if it matters, i have a platinum plan - used to be called "all access" before they changed the name. it could be something having to do with your account (although that seems unlikely if you had access to them before).

Last edited:
Reactions: ArtK and ph0ton
Yeah I had the sirius all access lifetime plan as well from way back in the day. Now it says I have the Sirius Music & Entertainment Platinum Lifetime. Had to wait on the settlement lawsuit before I could start transferring it from radio to radio. I can access the NFL play by play and howard from the app on my login. but I don't see it on the tesla, and the howard stern channels are missing from the 'see what's included' section on Sirius website. I'm gonna call and ask later.

Yeah I had the sirius all access lifetime plan as well from way back in the day. Now it says I have the Sirius Music & Entertainment Platinum Lifetime. Had to wait on the settlement lawsuit before I could start transferring it from radio to radio. I can access the NFL play by play and howard from the app on my login. but I don't see it on the tesla, and the howard stern channels are missing from the 'see what's included' section on Sirius website. I'm gonna call and ask later.

while it'd be a crappy thing to have to deal with, if it ends up that somehow the new tuner can't access those channels (i still find that unlikely, but who knows), you can always try to sell it on ebay and get the older tuner and use that. i can say with 100% certainty the old tuner works with those channels.

hopefully it doesn't come to that, just letting you know there is hope if all else fails. hopefully someone who used the plaid tuner and also has all access or platinum or whatever they call it now can chime in with a definitive answer on the new tuner.

Welcome to our little club Brandon, and thanks as always to Crackers for being there to properly greet our new "members."

:)

I've been keeping an eye out on other threads that mention gateway access that might allow us to get SiriusXM on newer Ryzen-equipped vehicles. Unfortunately Tesla still seems to keep things locked down and proprietary, while the only hacks out there are voltage-based attacks far outside the realm of us mere mortals. I hope someday we'll be able to crack this one, otherwise Tesla might lose a sale of a new car to something trivial, lol.

Welcome to our little club Brandon, and thanks as always to Crackers for being there to properly greet our new "members."

:)

I've been keeping an eye out on other threads that mention gateway access that might allow us to get SiriusXM on newer Ryzen-equipped vehicles. Unfortunately Tesla still seems to keep things locked down and proprietary, while the only hacks out there are voltage-based attacks far outside the realm of us mere mortals. I hope someday we'll be able to crack this one, otherwise Tesla might lose a sale of a new car to something trivial, lol.

I'm just excited that they might have finally fixed the damn clipping issue, although I'm now scared to take any future updates for fear of breaking it again.

at the risk of jinxing it, it seems the most recent updates have made major improvements to the radio. the actual UI is still terrible, but at least now it does seem to have fixed the scratchy/clipping audio issue as well as the favorites issue - last night i spent about 20 minutes reordering all of my favorites, and this afternoon when i went back out again they're still all being cycled through with the button (not just 20-22 like it would always be previously after some period of time). this also survived a double scroll reboot that i did while on my trip to the store just now.

of course that doesn't guarantee it's fixed, nor does it guarantee that they won't subsequently break it again in a future update...but for now the early returns are promising.

i'm on 2023.26.8. 2023.26.7 is where i first noticed the major improvements on sound quality.

Who else was hoping for SiriusXM to make it to the new highland, along with other Model S features (e.g. the rear screen)? Guess the only thing we can do is the Onyx roadie on the new cars. Between no solution to that and the lack of USS (yes I know about the camera), I'm probably skipping it.

Who else was hoping for SiriusXM to make it to the new highland, along with other Model S features (e.g. the rear screen)? Guess the only thing we can do is the Onyx roadie on the new cars. Between no solution to that and the lack of USS (yes I know about the camera), I'm probably skipping it.

i'm just hoping that we figure out a way to get this working on ryzen cars at some point. if that ever happens, i'll probably consider the model Y for my wife...until then though, our next car (she wants something bigger than the 3) will probably be a used X since they've come down in price quite a bit. at least i can have built in support for SXM on that without having to jump through any hoops.

Thanks everyone for the amazing read/resources. Here is my situation, I have an (Intel) MY and have lifetime sirius that i'd love to get working OEM style on my MY. I've ready through the thread (and the guide that was graciouslly created) but don't feel super confident opening up my car, etc... I'm in the Bay Area if anyone who has done this might be open to helping me through the install (compensated of course) or could recommend someome they trust to help with the labor nearby. I called a few auto installation shops and this seemed a bit too "off book" for them. Thanks!

Reactions: ArtK
Thanks everyone for the amazing read/resources. Here is my situation, I have an (Intel) MY and have lifetime sirius that i'd love to get working OEM style on my MY. I've ready through the thread (and the guide that was graciouslly created) but don't feel super confident opening up my car, etc... I'm in the Bay Area if anyone who has done this might be open to helping me through the install (compensated of course) or could recommend someome they trust to help with the labor nearby. I called a few auto installation shops and this seemed a bit too "off book" for them. Thanks!
not in the bay area, but if you ever road trip to so cal I'd be happy to do it for you if you buy the parts.

Reactions: Krash
TLDR; If this approach to external decoding would work, the user experience under these conditions would appear and sound like a fully integrated OEM SiriusXM experience using the Tesla SiriusXM OEM tuner with all controls using the native Tesla MCU SiriusXM client.

Another thought to a Ryzen solution: The part that is working is the UI interface, and the control plane of sending tuning commands to the tuner, and receiving control data back (confirmation of stream selection as well as song ID, etc). Can we use this part, which is 90% of the integration we want and solve the audio decoding externally? Tesla has done us a favor with the fallback behavior playing the audio stream of the last tuned FM station. Were we to decode the SiriusXM audio stream likely on the Broad R ethernet properly tuned already, we could just take the decoded analog signal and put it through an FM modulator whose audio is already playing through the MCU driven speakers in fallback to FM. The user experience under these conditions would appear to be a fully integrated OEM SiriusXM experience using the Tesla SiriusXM OEM tuner with all controls using the native Tesla MCU SiriusXM client.

I handwaved away the hardest and most unknown part: External decoding of the SiriusXM audio stream

However it looks like we have some pieces to start with stutech posted this response in this thread back in April 2023 to a separate question I asked.

It should be 1gig single pair Ethernet aka 1000 based broad r,

Good start! So what does audio encoded on Broad R look like? A quick read of this chapter...

...suggest:

"We focus on the current solutions for audio/video communications, i.e. Ethernet audio video bridging (AVB) specification. This specification has adapted Ethernet technology to meet electromagnetic constraints (EMC) specific to the automotive domain, and at the same time reducing the number of wires required to communicate (only one twisted pair in the current specification for at a throughput of 1 Gb/s instead of four). We review Physical (Broad R-Reach PHY) and Ethernet MAC layer in that perspective. Several new protocols including: clock synchronization (802.1AS gPTP), stream reservation and transmission protocols (IEEE 802.1Qat SRP and IEEE 1722) have been developed, and new mechanisms for forwarding and queuing frames have been proposed."

Key words I'm picking out here are these protocols: IEEE 802.1Qat SRP and IEEE 1722

Stream Reservation Protocol:

Both the fm and Sirius are always present and being sent to the MCU at the same time. That's how it knows the station list of currently available staying even when you were previously on Sirius just before. The Harmon tuner in the model 3 is always background scanning and sending data regardless.

This matches the description of how IEEE 802.1Qat SRP seems to work. IEEE 802.1Qat SRP and IEEE 1722 along with a number of other protocols appear to be all wrapped up in a larger standard called AVB (Audio/Video Bridging):

I had borrowed a friends Ryzen based car at one point and I saw in Wireshark it looks like it requests the Sirius audio for a certain channel, tuner starts sending it, then the MCU fails to open the stream, glitches out and goes back to fm. Its all in a weird non encrypted binary format it send the commands.

That "weird non-encrypted binary format" feels like it might be the AVB stream. So how do we take this stream and decode it externally? There appears to already be work on support with GStreamer and ALSA in Linux. Including a sample implementation of Talker AND Listener! Here: Getting Started with AVB on Linux* — TSN Documentation Project for Linux* 0.1 documentation

[/B] gst-launch-1.0 clockselect. \( clock-id=realtime \ avtpsrc ifname=eth0.5 ! avtpcvfdepay streamid=0xAABBCCDDEEFF000A ! \ queue max-size-bytes=0 max-size-buffers=0 max-size-time=0 ! \ vaapih264dec ! videoconvert ! clockoverlay halignment=right ! autovideosink \) [B]

The above is for a video stream, but the elements are there. We'd likely be in the dark on some needed values such as clock timing and frame size. External decoding would require some amount of computing power. Would a small SoC based system such as a Raspberry Pi be able to? Do the libraries exist compiled for ARM that would be required? Alternatively could an x86 based SFF system such as an Intel Nuc survive in a hot car? Those are question to address if the decoding is successful using desktop computing power.

If stutech has those wireshark dumps from the Ryzen car, it might be enough to get started. Honestly, I'm slightly beyond the edge of my knowledge here on the software side.

Has anyone explored down this line of thinking yet? If so, what have you found?