Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Factory OEM SiriusXM nearly working in Tesla 2022 Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
update: 2023.6.8 (finally, knock on wood) seems to have fixed the favorites issue. using the scroll button on the steering wheel now cycles through favorites if you have them, sequentially through all channels if you don't.

it also seems to have mostly alleviated the static issues. mine isn't completely gone, but it's at least tolerable now.

i always hesitate to say anything in the pile of crap that is the infotainment system in this car is fixed, but for now it's at least working as you'd expect it to.

• Informative
Reactions: ph0ton and CaptUAL
update: 2023.6.8 (finally, knock on wood) seems to have fixed the favorites issue. using the scroll button on the steering wheel now cycles through favorites if you have them, sequentially through all channels if you don't.

it also seems to have mostly alleviated the static issues. mine isn't completely gone, but it's at least tolerable now.

i always hesitate to say anything in the pile of crap that is the infotainment system in this car is fixed, but for now it's at least working as you'd expect it to.
Thanks-Good news. Now if we could just fix the YouTube quality and speed drop down..😜👍

Best.
Undocumented.
Change.
Ever.

Now I just need new software .... won't see 2023.6.x for a while as I'm on the FSD stream.

Sorry, couldn't help but after seeing the insane amount of time and money some have spent on antiquated tuners when all you have to do is just use Bluetooth and stream it....didn't realize so many of you live in areas without cell service ;) no need to be douche about it.

Carry on
Living in Palm Springs area, I frequently drive over the mountains to the coast- No Cell coverage. Also frequently drive to the Colorado River-No Cell coverage. Many drives to Colorado-No Cell coverage . So yes I love the antiquated Sirius XM tuner in the MSP, and predominantly do not stream.

Living in Palm Springs area, I frequently drive over the mountains to the coast- No Cell coverage. Also frequently drive to the Colorado River-No Cell coverage. Many drives to Colorado-No Cell coverage . So yes I love the antiquated Sirius XM tuner in the MSP, and predominantly do not stream.

Yeah I understand , mine was merely a suggestion to the poster who has spent the last year trying to get his to work..didn't mean to trigger him

Yours works great I take it?

Yeah I understand , mine was merely a suggestion to the poster who has spent the last year trying to get his to work..didn't mean to trigger him

Yours works great I take it?
Yes XM has worked flawlessly since 2021 August. The favorite menu’s are a bit bugged up, but reception and quality have always been fine. The last update seems to have helped favorites scrolling and selection.

Reactions: crackers8199
(Moderator note)

I am making this moderator note because a couple of posts in this thread were reported, and I agreed with the reports so removed them. I wanted to take a second and give my thoughts on this thread (which hopefully explains the action I took).

I see this thread as a fairly "drama less" discussion amongst members here who would like to get the SiriusXM module working in their vehicle, for their own reasons (whatever those are). "Just stream it" has obviously been covered several times in this thread, and is not relevant to the discussion of getting this to work, or how it works.

Lots of people tinker with their cars in various ways, for various reasons that matter to them, and may not matter to others. This thread is for those tinkerers in relation to the factory OEM module.

If someone wanders across this thread, and finds the desire to post anything along the lines of "just stream it, it works that way", this is a request to "Please dont, that has already been covered, and isnt necessary or helpful to the people participating in this thread."

If you have technical suggestions or usability suggestions around installing the factory OEM module, go for it, but please refrain from that part of the discussion, as it has already happened multiple times and the thread is much past that.

Thanks

does anyone remember what size the bolts are that attach the tuner to the body? i've been wanting to try something but i can't remember exactly what size they are (other than requiring a 10mm socket), and i don't feel like taking the entire car apart just to pull one out and take it to lowe's with me...

does anyone remember what size the bolts are that attach the tuner to the body? i've been wanting to try something but i can't remember exactly what size they are (other than requiring a 10mm socket), and i don't feel like taking the entire car apart just to pull one out and take it to lowe's with me...
I want to say they were an inch. Too long to quickly tighten but short enough to lose inside the crevices of the panels.

I want to say they were an inch. Too long to quickly tighten but short enough to lose inside the crevices of the panels.

i meant the thread size...i wanted to go to lowes and try to find a screw that might fit the hole to reattach the upper bolt near the satellite antenna connector and not have it pushing against the connector like the factory bolt does.

It took me months to decide to make the change, but I finally switched the location of my SXM antenna. I initially had it inside (middle trunk lid) and put it outside today on top of back passenger door. It made a world of a difference in signal quality :)

Although not pretty, it brings it to a very pleasant experience with no cutoff!

It took me months to decide to make the change, but I finally switched the location of my SXM antenna. I initially had it inside (middle trunk lid) and put it outside today on top of back passenger door. It made a world of a difference in signal quality :)

Although not pretty, it brings it to a very pleasant experience with no cutoff!

try here. it doesn't look too out of place and it's super easy to get the wire hidden and into the tuner from this location...

20230415_152128.jpg

My next attempt, and failure, to get a Ryzen based MCU to work:

With the discovery months ago that the X and S tuners work with Atom based MCU, it suggested to me that Ryzen based MCU simply lacks the command to the tuner to switch the output of the tuner from FM to SiriusXM. Were we able to capture what this signal is, and further, inject the command onto the bus when we wanted, we could have a working SiriusXM tuner in a Ryzen equipped car.

I began exploring the public information and Tesla reverse engineering. Finding CANbus to PC adapters very inexpensive, and information plentiful, I got an adapter, wired up a bench compatible power and termination bus, and attached my spare Model S SiriusXM tuner. After a number of hours still unsuccessful in establishing communication on the Tesla SiriusXM tuner's Ethernet interface, I found documentation that seems to suggest that the interface on the tuner isn't CANbus at all, but instead Analog Device's A2B network (and less likely Broad-R network).

Learning about A2B networking was very informative and really increaesd my understanding about modern vehicle networking. Further, looking at how A2B works, underscored my idea that if we inject our own command externally, we could get this to work. However, A2B debugging tools and documentation are FAR less common, and far more expensive. The cheapest PC interface was about $900, and may need even more than just that.

For now, I'll put my spare tuner, and this idea back on the shelf.

My next attempt, and failure, to get a Ryzen based MCU to work:

With the discovery months ago that the X and S tuners work with Atom based MCU, it suggested to me that Ryzen based MCU simply lacks the command to the tuner to switch the output of the tuner from FM to SiriusXM. Were we able to capture what this signal is, and further, inject the command onto the bus when we wanted, we could have a working SiriusXM tuner in a Ryzen equipped car.

I began exploring the public information and Tesla reverse engineering. Finding CANbus to PC adapters very inexpensive, and information plentiful, I got an adapter, wired up a bench compatible power and termination bus, and attached my spare Model S SiriusXM tuner. After a number of hours still unsuccessful in establishing communication on the Tesla SiriusXM tuner's Ethernet interface, I found documentation that seems to suggest that the interface on the tuner isn't CANbus at all, but instead Analog Device's A2B network (and less likely Broad-R network).

Learning about A2B networking was very informative and really increaesd my understanding about modern vehicle networking. Further, looking at how A2B works, underscored my idea that if we inject our own command externally, we could get this to work. However, A2B debugging tools and documentation are FAR less common, and far more expensive. The cheapest PC interface was about $900, and may need even more than just that.

For now, I'll put my spare tuner, and this idea back on the shelf.
I had assumed you could just use Wireshark to sniff packets as it uses UDP for the gateway based on this source. Maybe it changed with the newer models? The fact it uses an automotive protocol over ethernet is surprising.

Reactions: ArtK