Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Factory OEM SiriusXM nearly working in Tesla 2022 Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I seem to have lost the ability to edit my prior posts (or I can't find the button now).

I wanted to post that I did throw a monthly subscription on the Model X tuner in my 2022 Model 3 with Ryzen MCU and I am successfully tuning all subscribe streams. While I was hearing the preview channel, I did have to go to the SiriusXM website and send the refresh signal twice. On the second refresh sending I had full channels in just a few seconds. I'll run this monthly sub for a bit to make sure its working, then transfer my lifetime SiriusXM sub over instead.

Also this is how this tuner from a Model X:

1143716-00-C
Date of Manufacture 12/10/2019

... appears in my SiriusXM account:

View attachment 1001444

it's interesting that yours shows as a model X...mine does not show the model.

Good morning all,
Great research and write up. I just purchased my Model Y yesterday, and was disappointed to find out that SiriusXM wasn't included. I had asked the sales guy at the Tesla showroom, and he said it was included, but he is obviously wrong. He was new, and although he was very helpful, he didn't have all the correct information.

I'm looking on eBay trying to find a reasonably priced 1622932-00-A or 1622932-00-B receiver, but the only listing I'm seeing is over 400, which seems obscene. Do these come up at reasonable prices from time to time?
I bought mine for facebook marketplace under $50. Offerup and 5miles are other alternatives. Finally car-part.com can get you reaaaally cheap parts if you're local and you can pick them yourself.

Reactions: leecox
can someone with 2023.44.1 confirm that favorites are working with the steering wheel scroll button? i have that version waiting, but if favorites are broken again i'm never updating...

@sparkywatts seems to indicate it is broken again in another post, but @Koheen earlier thought it was broken but was able to make it work again by removing and readding them all again. the way it SHOULD work is that the steering wheel button cycles through your favorites if you're already on a favorite channel, otherwise (if you're on a non-fav) it goes sequentially. the next/prev buttons on the screen always go sequentially. i'm still on 2023.38.4, and it still works as described in that version. i have held off updating for a while now, since those initial reports of it being broken again.

can someone with 2023.44.1 confirm that favorites are working with the steering wheel scroll button? i have that version waiting, but if favorites are broken again i'm never updating...

@sparkywatts seems to indicate it is broken again in another post, but @Koheen earlier thought it was broken but was able to make it work again by removing and readding them all again. the way it SHOULD work is that the steering wheel button cycles through your favorites if you're already on a favorite channel, otherwise (if you're on a non-fav) it goes sequentially. the next/prev buttons on the screen always go sequentially. i'm still on 2023.38.4, and it still works as described in that version. i have held off updating for a while now, since those initial reports of it being broken again.
It was working for me on 44.1 when I set it up, but it broke in 44.30.2. It might have something to do with updating.

Also, In avoidance of re-reading a whole thread here, is the consensus on a good location for the Model 3 SXM antenna mounting location? I am about to do this install on a buddy's M3 and want to preplan all my runs here.

i have mine on the quarter panel opposite the charge port. it works well there and it's very easy to tuck it under the weatherstripping and into the trunk then up to the tuner from there.

i did try it on the roof with VHB before that, and it wasn't noticeably any better...so i left it on the quarter panel because of how much easier it is to run the wires from there.

Reactions: WhiteOnWhiteMY
i have mine on the quarter panel opposite the charge port. it works well there and it's very easy to tuck it under the weatherstripping and into the trunk then up to the tuner from there.

i did try it on the roof with VHB before that, and it wasn't noticeably any better...so i left it on the quarter panel because of how much easier it is to run the wires from there.

When you say “opposite the charge port” do u mean on the other side of the car, or just other side of the port? I wasn’t sure from the picture.

Unfortunately not, which I was pretty sure it did in 44.1

i'll be able to confirm whether or not they survive a reboot in 44.1 in a few minutes. i'm updating to that version right now.

it's pretty pathetic either way that this was broken for over a year and fixed for less than 5 months before they broke it again. how the hell do they not have automated tests for these things to make sure they don't break stuff?

• Love
Reactions: WhiteOnWhiteMY

When I get some time I'm going to dig out some plastic in a right rear reflector and try to embed a stripped antenna in epoxy to make it truly seamless. I think at that angle it will drastically affect the signal quality though, would you feel up to try driving around with it taped to the center?

They antenna I stripped kind of doesn't make sense to me. Apparently they make the antennas *out* of ceramic, instead of capping it like I thought? Definitely out of my depth and I suspect my little experiment will fail in a few years at best, haha.

Edit: "Ceramic patch antenna" if anyone wants to learn about the technology. Just a little googling says they have to be aligned to the direction of the signals so unless you are way up north, having it nearly in a vertical plane is a bad idea. Back to the drawing board!

When I get some time I'm going to dig out some plastic in a right rear reflector and try to embed a stripped antenna in epoxy to make it truly seamless. I think at that angle it will drastically affect the signal quality though, would you feel up to try driving around with it taped to the center?

They antenna I stripped kind of doesn't make sense to me. Apparently they make the antennas *out* of ceramic, instead of capping it like I thought? Definitely out of my depth and I suspect my little experiment will fail in a few years at best, haha.

Edit: "Ceramic patch antenna" if anyone wants to learn about the technology. Just a little googling says they have to be aligned to the direction of the signals so unless you are way up north, having it nearly in a vertical plane is a bad idea. Back to the drawing board!
You are quite innovative, and always willing to learn new things. Even if your posts probably give Elon heartburn, Nikola Tesla would’ve loved you. Happy holidays!

• Love
Reactions: ph0ton
You are quite innovative, and always willing to learn new things. Even if your posts probably give Elon heartburn, Nikola Tesla would’ve loved you. Happy holidays!

I'm curious if anyone has used the OEM sat receiver antenna. I would think it would be designed to pass through the rear glass on the model X or S. I saw a YouTube video where someone put their antenna in the rear glass where it is blacked out, so you wouldn't even see it. I was planning on trying that when my receiver arrives.

Reactions: ArtK and Krash