Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Factory OEM SiriusXM nearly working in Tesla 2022 Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is a Reference set of photos for the MY under glass mounting location:

1704032167406.png

1704032194641.png

1704032205466.png

Video of the installation:

test

embarrassing is a good word for it. how do they not have automated tests for this stuff? i have worked for companies a lot smaller with stuff a lot less critical than what tesla is doing that didn't have these issues where we were constantly breaking stuff on new releases.

The favorite issue is a problem limited to Tesla. My wife has a 2013 VW Touareg, and almost every time SXM pushes out a channel lineup, all of her presets go away. It's even more frustrating for her, because her vehicle is a 2013, and the channels are pretty much all text based, and not as graphical like in the Tesla. This seems to happen every 2 or 3 months to her, so she has to spend quite a bit of time redoing her presets. My wife complained to VW, and VW blamed SiriusXM for the issue because it was the channels being updated. For what it's worth, the radio in the Touareg is an Alpine produced radio for VW, so it's not like Alpine doesn't know something about car radios.

I've also had issues with Favorites for SiriusXM on Apple CarPlay. Frankly, the SirusXM app, although it's recently gotten better, sucks a$$. The favorites rarely save, and then they go frequently disappear.

All in all, it's not likely all Tesla's developers that are the problem, but an issue inherited from the way SiriusXM works.

Here is a Reference set of photos for the MY under glass mounting location:

View attachment 1004522
View attachment 1004523
View attachment 1004524

Video of the installation:

That's the way I ran mine the other day. Unfortunately I'm getting quite a bit of signal drop. I live out in the country, so I really don't have buildings or anything obscuring my signal like an urban environment. I'd love to keep it hidden, but I may have to at least try the 3D printed mount route, and see if that improves the signal loss issue. I really wish someone produced an antenna that was made to go on the interior of a windshield specifically

The favorite issue is a problem limited to Tesla. My wife has a 2013 VW Touareg, and almost every time SXM pushes out a channel lineup, all of her presets go away. It's even more frustrating for her, because her vehicle is a 2013, and the channels are pretty much all text based, and not as graphical like in the Tesla. This seems to happen every 2 or 3 months to her, so she has to spend quite a bit of time redoing her presets. My wife complained to VW, and VW blamed SiriusXM for the issue because it was the channels being updated. For what it's worth, the radio in the Touareg is an Alpine produced radio for VW, so it's not like Alpine doesn't know something about car radios.

I've also had issues with Favorites for SiriusXM on Apple CarPlay. Frankly, the SirusXM app, although it's recently gotten better, sucks a$$. The favorites rarely save, and then they go frequently disappear.

All in all, it's not likely all Tesla's developers that are the problem, but an issue inherited from the way SiriusXM works.

the channel refresh happened in early november, but the favorites issue didn’t reappear until the holiday update. my model 3 has updated since (from 38.4 to 44.1) and it still works.

also, this isn’t an issue with the favorites disappearing…it’s that the scroll wheel on the steering wheel stops cycling thru them. if you look at the favorites list, they are still there.

Reactions: tmorgenthaler
That's the way I ran mine the other day. Unfortunately I'm getting quite a bit of signal drop. I live out in the country, so I really don't have buildings or anything obscuring my signal like an urban environment. I'd love to keep it hidden, but I may have to at least try the 3D printed mount route, and see if that improves the signal loss issue. I really wish someone produced an antenna that was made to go on the interior of a windshield specifically
Interesting, I’ve heard this from several people, but the only time I get drop outs are from tall trees south of the car.

Reactions: tmorgenthaler
The posts about building a custom mount for the antenna got me thinking. Along those lines I had a broken SiriusXM antenna in my e-waste bin, and fished it out and dissembled it.

I wanted to share my data in case others are also interested. Under the sticker is a metal plate with the magnet in it secured to the plastic housing with 4 small philips screws.

1704220380779.png

The black rubber separator sits between the metal plate and the antenna module itself. There is a cable strain relief molded into the black rubber separator which has to be cut to preserve the cable if you're just trying to extract the antenna module fully functionally.

1704220560581.png

The antenna module itself is much smaller than the whole packaged unit measuring 25mm x 25mm x maybe 4mm(didn't measure the z axis yet).

If one were building their own package and you knew you didn't have to expose it to the elements outside the car, you could probably put the antenna module itself in much smaller spaces. I remember seeing a poster in this thread talk about attempted to conceal it inside the taillight housing which I thought was clever. Apologies for not remembering who posted that.

The posts about building a custom mount for the antenna got me thinking. Along those lines I had a broken SiriusXM antenna in my e-waste bin, and fished it out and dissembled it.

I wanted to share my data in case others are also interested. Under the sticker is a metal plate with the magnet in it secured to the plastic housing with 4 small philips screws.

View attachment 1005080

The black rubber separator sits between the metal plate and the antenna module itself. There is a cable strain relief molded into the black rubber separator which has to be cut to preserve the cable if you're just trying to extract the antenna module fully functionally.

View attachment 1005081

The antenna module itself is much smaller than the whole packaged unit measuring 25mm x 25mm x maybe 4mm(didn't measure the z axis yet).

If one were building their own package and you knew you didn't have to expose it to the elements outside the car, you could probably put the antenna module itself in much smaller spaces. I remember seeing a poster in this thread talk about attempted to conceal it inside the taillight housing which I thought was clever. Apologies for not remembering who posted that.
That would be my half-assed attempt, haha. Mine is a bit different being a non-branded Antenna but it's largely the same "patch antenna" with a slightly wider form factor due to the underlying circuit board.

I don't know why we have never suggested this but why aren't we putting this in the side-view mirrors with all the other data antennas? Too painful to route?

how would that work, though? it still needs a clear view of the sky, unlike the LTE antenna.
The plastic should be radio transmissive since WiFi is around the same frequency of SiriusXM, and the housing of the patch antenna is thicker than the plastic of the mirror housing.

It looks like there is enough clearance based on videos for a vertical orientation but I'll check myself when I disconnect my WiFi antennas.

I would be more concerned about the FOV of the sky and it causing cutouts in the mirror.
The plastic should be radio transmissive since WiFi is around the same frequency of SiriusXM, and the housing of the patch antenna is thicker than the plastic of the mirror housing.

It looks like there is enough clearance based on videos for a vertical orientation but I'll check myself when I disconnect my WiFi antennas.

I've just purchased a M3RWD and have been following all the great work and effort you all have done. I'm ready to make the modification, but finding an old FM/XM tuner has become a challenge or very $$$ costly. Other than the list (below)that was compiled from another article, would/should a tuner from a 2021-3 MS or MX work? I occasionally see someone parting out one of these newer models for whatever fate has bestowed them. I know the 1143716-00-B was said it did not work, but does anyone have any confirms of other working tuners. Thanks again guys - well done! - Joe

Tesla part number: 1143716-00-C (old Model X tuner)
Tesla part number: 1622932-00-B (Plaid tuner)
The tuners listed below have been confirmed working with newer Ryzen vehicles, and will probably also work on any Intel car. Your mileage may vary, of course.
1143711-00-B
1143711-00-C
1622932-00-A

Reactions: ph0ton and ArtK
I've just purchased a M3RWD and have been following all the great work and effort you all have done. I'm ready to make the modification, but finding an old FM/XM tuner has become a challenge or very $$$ costly. Other than the list (below)that was compiled from another article, would/should a tuner from a 2021-3 MS or MX work? I occasionally see someone parting out one of these newer models for whatever fate has bestowed them. I know the 1143716-00-B was said it did not work, but does anyone have any confirms of other working tuners. Thanks again guys - well done! - Joe

The tuners listed below have been confirmed working with newer Ryzen vehicles, and will probably also work on any Intel car. Your mileage may vary, of course.
1143711-00-B
1143711-00-C
1622932-00-A
TMCer @healage mentioned that they are selling one right now — why not DM him/her?

1143711-00-B
1143711-00-C
1622932-00-A

As far as I know, all XM tuners should work; we had some older information that said the B tuner wouldn't work but that was before the software update.

Lifetime SiriusXM subscription successfully transferred to Tesla SiriusXM tuner

I don't know how useful this will be to others, but wanted to share in the info in case it was. Afer the fairly recent Tesla software change that allowed the Tesla OEM tuner to work on Ryzen, I threw a paid monthly subscription on it to make sure it was functional and that the user experience was good enough to use long term. Within the first two weeks I had my answer that everything was working to my satisfaction. This was my procedure for a successful transfer.

1. Initiate a cancellation of the monthly sub on the Tesla tuner. SiriusXM doesn't allow you to do this with a button, but instead requires you to talk to a support human (phone or web chat). The subscription once canceled runs to the end of the paid period.

2. Wait until that day and make sure you can't tune any subscribed content.

3. Go into the SiriusXM website and manage your account. Verify in the web interface the Tesla tuner shows no active subscription (it will have a button allowing you to add one if it has no sub).

4. In the SiriusXM web dashboard select your *other* tuner that has the lifetime subscription on it.

5. Select "replace this radio"

6. Enter the RadioID for your Tesla tuner.

7. Be prompted and pay the $37 "replacement fee.

8. Power up your Tesla and have a "refresh" signal sent. This can be done from the web page immediately following the transfer, from the Help web page, or even from the Tesla SiriusXM tab under "subscription".

It can take some time and the refresh is hit or miss. I simply issued refresh from all 3 methods and within about 15 minutes I could tune subscribed content. Its possible other procedures may work to transfer, but this is what I did and this is what worked for me and I wanted to share it if it helps others.