Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Failed solar/powerwall inspection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@holeydonut The Tesla tech came out and was done in about 45mins. He installed an exterior disconnect similar to the solar panel disconnect, just in a longer box. It's to the right of the meter below. I didn't get a chance to ask him the two scenario's you mentioned, as I was on a conference call when the Tech showed up.
20201201_103609 (Medium).jpg

Last edited:
I am in El Dorado Hills, Had my inspection about a month ago for 2 Powerwalls. Solar was pre existing. Powerwalls and backup panel, non backup panel and Powerwall controller are all in the garage. The big Switch is outside on the common wall to the interior equipment. Inspector was thorough but only here about 15 minutes. He said Tesla installed inspections are easier than Independent installers since the Tesla installs are pretty standard. Hopefully this will be a quick fix as it should only be a couple hours to move the switch outside.

@holeydonut The Tesla tech came out and was done in about 45mins. He installed an exterior disconnect similar to the solar panel disconnect, just in a longer box. It's to the right of the meter below. I didn't get a chance to ask him the two scenario's you mentioned, as I was on a conference call when the Tech showed up. View attachment 613494
whats that white oval device with one eye? some sensor?

Thanks for posting the pic! Lol what's with the super-random placement of these boxes and conduit?

Ok so it looks like you now have two Eaton 60 A bladed disconnects. Which likely means one box is for your solar and one box if your powerwalls. I'm guessing these are to conform with the PG&E requirement since Tesla probably didn't want to file an exemption and just opted to put the big ol' box.

I guess if you're ever bored, you can flip off both of these boxes and see if some how you still have backup power going to your house. My guess is flipping these off will also de-energize your home.

Hopefully the alternate build-up for my home will allow PG&E to shut off the power sources for their disconnect requirement, but I can still keep my PV and ESS active.

Last edited:
whats that white oval device with one eye? some sensor?

It is the self destruct button for the house. I am not sure why it is on the exterior of the house, seems unsafe, as anyone could just decide to push it. :p

Its a pest abatement system that the builder built into the house. If you sign up for the service, the pest control person connects their equipment to a nozzle on the oval box and it injects pest control inside the house walls.

It is the self destruct button for the house. I am not sure why it is on the exterior of the house, seems unsafe, as anyone could just decide to push it. :p

Its a pest abatement system that the builder built into the house. If you sign up for the service, the pest control person connects their equipment to a nozzle on the oval box and it injects pest control inside the house walls.
lord have mercy on the pests.

Thanks for posting the pic! Lol what's with the super-random placement of these boxes and conduit?

Ok so it looks like you now have two Eaton 60 A bladed disconnects. Which likely means one box is for your solar and one box if your powerwalls. I'm guessing these are to conform with the PG&E requirement since Tesla probably didn't want to file an exemption and just opted to put the big ol' box.

I guess if you're ever bored, you can flip off both of these boxes and see if some how you still have backup power going to your house. My guess is flipping these off will also de-energize your home.

Hopefully the alternate build-up for my home will allow PG&E to shut off the power sources for their disconnect requirement, but I can still keep my PV and ESS active.

I think the random placement is due to how things are laid out on the opposite side of the wall, TEG, Main and secondary panel, and the inverter (powerwalls are on the opposite side of the garage). See pic below. If the wall was transparent, the big blade switch would be to the left of the TEG. The gray panel on the far right the whole house fire sprinkler access.

Powerwalls and solar were disabled when both switches were flipped on, but I still had power through the grid.

20201105_122819 (Medium).jpg

I am in El Dorado Hills, Had my inspection about a month ago for 2 Powerwalls. Solar was pre existing. Powerwalls and backup panel, non backup panel and Powerwall controller are all in the garage. The big Switch is outside on the common wall to the interior equipment. Inspector was thorough but only here about 15 minutes. He said Tesla installed inspections are easier than Independent installers since the Tesla installs are pretty standard. Hopefully this will be a quick fix as it should only be a couple hours to move the switch outside.
Interestingly, I had panels well before PW install in May. No outside switching required here. Reading previous posts on regs inspector accepted the on/off switch on the battery and the circuit breakers near it as shut off.

I’m in LA and had 3 additional external cutouts installed. I asked the installer why these were going in as it seemed like overkill, but he informed me that the requirements had changed, at least for LA, and they had to install these to essentially make it idiot proof to kill all power to the home.

Cutouts are for the power walls (I have 3), the solar panels, and the last one right before power is entering the distribution panel.

I'm in CA and PG&E provider. Mine is not of these Eaton blade. Just the TEG with the disconnect to PV and PWx2. This is the first box accessible outside the house. Install was all along the house that is not locked. Took 15mins. Passed. Tesla energy rep showed up 30mins early to shut off everything (I had PW on) and slap a bunch of red stickers over everything. There's a layout of the house with solar panels on top and what each box on the wall means.

I'm in CA and PG&E provider. Mine is not of these Eaton blade. Just the TEG with the disconnect to PV and PWx2. This is the first box accessible outside the house. Install was all along the house that is not locked. Took 15mins. Passed. Tesla energy rep showed up 30mins early to shut off everything (I had PW on) and slap a bunch of red stickers over everything. There's a layout of the house with solar panels on top and what each box on the wall means.
WOW? What's next? A drawing of the house where load beams are located? Where all the sub panels are located?

Yeah I was surprised by the house-specific labels that were added for my inspection yesterday

Yeah I was surprised by the house-specific labels that were added for my inspection yesterday
Required in many counties. It has the locations of all the switches, PWs, etc.

What did you think of the font they used on the placard? Very unusual, but I guess that is the point.

BTW, your inspection sounds like mine. Did they make you sign something that said you had smoke and CO detectors in the house?

What did you think of the font they used on the placard? Very unusual, but I guess that is the point.

BTW, your inspection sounds like mine. Did they make you sign something that said you had smoke and CO detectors in the house?

Font is def a bit strange but also might just be easy to etch?

nothing about CO or smoke detectors, definitely only seemed concerned with the PV and electric stuff.

Yes my county required 1 smoke detector in each bedroom and one on each level. And CO detector within certain distance of the bedroom and one on each level.