Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Failure to drive off lot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think taking delivery is just making sure the paperwork is complete and they can book it, Tesla honored the discount, promised to fix the issue, and offered a loaner. I suspect this is something simple and can the faulty components can be swapped out.

But the complete paperwork means the car is already bought. In the meantime you get the loaner and turns out some part needs to be ordered/replaced and the estimated wait time is unknown.

But the complete paperwork means the car is already bought. In the meantime you get the loaner and turns out some part needs to be ordered/replaced and the estimated wait time is unknown.
What if the problem comes up the next day or the week after? It will be the same scenario and you may not get a loaner. Most of the time, Tesla can diagnose the issue quickly and just replace the component, unlike ICE which may be more complicated to work on.

Last edited:

Don’t get me wrong. I don’t believe everything I read. My experience was poor though and frankly really disappointing. Ive personally heard mixed opinions about people’s teslas — I’ve also had a friend who died when their model x was on autopilot as the car drove him into a divid

So…. I bought a model Y on December 30th and took delivery on the 31st…. But the car wouldn’t drive off the lot. Once I shifted the car into drive, I started getting warning messages like “electrical system does not support all accessories, system cannot restart, etc.”. Anyone else experience that? The sales guy told me I should schedule a service call (for a call that hadn’t even been driven!) and take a loaner. I refused to take delivery of the lemon, despite assurances that the car would be fixed. WTF. I can see why Tesla has so many disillusioned customers now.
Your post has a very bad smell about it....I am not buying any of this...just saying

If the car doesn't move on delivery day that's a bad omen. Refuse delivery the right call IMO. 7500 will be there in tax credit at least until March. Only loss is 10,000 free supercharger miles.

Could be a bad 12v battery but not worth the headache and possibility it takes many tries to get it fixed.
Unless this was a 7 seater it is going to qualify for a whopping $0 of tax credit.
The OP threw $7500 and 10K free SC miles away.
Only he can know if that was worth it.

Personally if this happened to me I'd have taken the car and let them fix it to not lose the credit. If no credit was in play, I'd have rejected it.

Reactions: 804son
Interesting, what kind of problems have you had? Just trying to live vicariously through your experience.

It was a list of about nine problems, including bad wheel alignment (which forced me to turn the steering wheel 15 degrees to drive straight), a misaligned rear hatch, misaligned headlights, a rattle from poorly fastened metal parts, scratches on several plastic parts, and filth inside and out. Every time they worked on it they created another problem, but overall most issues were resolved within three months of visits, except for a large paint defect on the frunk hood.

They made three attempts to repaint the hood, then postponed three appointments to replace it, and now we're into the second year. The first time they forgot to paint it, the second time it came back with swirls in the paint, and the last time it came back with the "T" emblem missing and different swirls. Then they decided to just replace it with a new factory-painted hood, but they can't get the part so they've postponed three times. I won't even go into what it took to get those appointments, or how certain staff get away with disrespecting customers.

I only viewed the article after I passed since I was wondering if this was a common problem. It seems like Tesla doesn’t really get ranked highly in many publications (I disagree with the publications in general - seems like the cars are generally good but then people have issues with service and phantom braking, etc). I am disappointed in how my scenario played out - it’s hard to know if the car was truly a lemon (not just for the problems that were observed but also for problems like ev_dad had that showed up later over time.

I only viewed the article after I passed since I was wondering if this was a common problem. It seems like Tesla doesn’t really get ranked highly in many publications (I disagree with the publications in general - seems like the cars are generally good but then people have issues with service and phantom braking, etc). I am disappointed in how my scenario played out - it’s hard to know if the car was truly a lemon (not just for the problems that were observed but also for problems like ev_dad had that showed up later over time.
Tesla is an oddball, they rank towards the bottom in CR reliability, yet at the top for customer satisfaction.

Reactions: Cali_dc and DrGriz
I took delivery of my 23 MYLR to get the $7500 discount and 10K supercharger miles. I was anxious about the paint and panel gaps and lo and behold it was perfect in that regard. Unfortunately my rear windshield was chipped and while it was disappointing I still accepted delivery. I made the service appointment for the 14th as that was the earliest available at SC by my house. Two days ago they changed it to a mobile appointment. They're coming tomorrow to do the replacement at my home and also to adjust my rear left seats as they don't fold like the rear right seat when you press the release in the trunk. So far having communication via the Tesla app has been prompt and cordial. On delivery day the service advisor was clearly super busy but it was still the best car buying experience I've ever had. No scummy dealership tactics. I got everything I was promised. I will never go back to a dealership experience if I can help it. Oh and the car is awesome to drive. I could only be happier if I had been lucky enough to get the matrix headlights but the headlights on there now have been awesome.

PXL_20221231_162711807.jpg