Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[FAKE] Ride-share company purchases Times-Square Billboard Complaining about 1.5yr Repair Times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As stated b4 - I was thinking about buying a M3 - after watching this board closely for more than 4 years I was very hesitant because I only want to own one car and it needs to be as reliable as my current car (2003 Honda Civic hatchback)

4 years and 50 percent of your contribution is posting tabloid trash like this thread and the other 50 percent is complaining about small windows in the Model 3?!

I think you should stay far far away from Model 3.

What vehicle do you plan to get instead?

There are two aspects. The cars are very reliable. in 5 years and driving over 200k miles my Model S never let me down. Never got stranded because the car had issues or broke down. I had flat tires or other influences that disabled the car but that has nothing to do with Tesla. Every time I needed a service, Tesla gave me a loaner car for free. Absolutely reliable.

Accidents are rare though and I would still recommend buying a Tesla despite that issue. But it's definitely something Tesla need to get better at. Elon is brilliant and need to continue pushing innovation. But behind him needs to be a team of people making the company complete.
For context, esp. for those person who voted the above post helpful, david99 is on at least his 8th drive unit: How reliable is your Model S?.

I wouldn't define a car that needs major component to be replaced 8 times within 5 years to be "very reliable" or "absolutely reliable".

For context, esp. for those person who voted the above post helpful, david99 is on at least his 8th drive unit: How reliable is your Model S?.

I wouldn't define a car that needs major component to be replaced 8 times within 5 years to be "very reliable" or "absolutely reliable".

It only takes an hour to change out and I will guess it was free every time. There have been improvements to the part. By the way, I know you have a Bolt. My son does too! I really like the car but he has had it in for repairs about 8 times already. But it hasn't cost him for repairs either, just the gas he had to put into the loaner vehicles.

Long story short: I've loved Tesla/Elon for a very long time and craved the day I could buy one - however I've come to the painful conclusion that someone who needs a single and absolutely reliable car for daily life should not buy a Tesla

As stated b4 - I was thinking about buying a M3 - after watching this board closely for more than 4 years I was very hesitant because I only want to own one car and it needs to be as reliable as my current car (2003 Honda Civic hatchback)

Why would I buy an expensive new car that can't do its job as effectively as my current car?

The fact that a profit-seeking company spends the money to run an ad in Times Square complaining about Tesla reliability has helped me move on from now retired dream. Those who will of course claim this is fake news or FUD --- I have read countless stories on this forum of MS, MX, and M3 cars being sidelined for ungodly amounts of time -- the trend has continued with the M3!

People always claim shorts/big oil create accounts here to create negative threads ---- why wouldn't Telsa create accounts on this forum and create positive threads

Oh well, such is life --- moving on

It's a damn shame though --- instead of shunning Toyota's advice, imagine if Elon embraced the offer and listened to them?

View attachment 401843

Chinese car hailing company demands compensation from Tesla in Times Square, NYC - Global Times
Because all the happy people love to post on forums!

If you want a car that's as reliable as your 03 Civic, then you probably shouldn't buy another Honda. According to Consumer Reports, Honda has been doing poorly when it comes to reliability. You should buy a Toyota or a Mazda.

In my family, we've owned 5+ Honda and Acura cars. They're great cars, but they're no Tesla when it comes to driving refinement. I, too, had worries about reliability after reading about the experience of early Model S and Xs; but my Model 3 has been surprisingly reliable, especially considering that mine is VIN <10k. I've only been to the service center to fix fit and finish issues, problems which I no longer see on new 3s. Just buy a 3 already! Once you have it, you'll regret waiting as long as you did.

It only takes an hour to change out and I will guess it was free every time. There have been improvements to the part. By the way, I know you have a Bolt. My son does too! I really like the car but he has had it in for repairs about 8 times already. But it hasn't cost him for repairs either, just the gas he had to put into the loaner vehicles.
@Evoforce - What were the issues with the Bolt?

Reactions: cwerdna
Everyone I know that owns a Tesla is extremely happy with it. I have never heard first hand of issues of quality or reliability.

I own an S and a 3. My S has 85,000 miles on it. My wife's 3 has over 10,000 miles on it. No issues at all, great cars, smooth, quiet, and NO SERVICE. I don't understand people taking an electric in for service all the time when there is no service required. Gas cars go in for service to get oil and filter changed, but there is no oil or filter to change on a Tesla. Of course, there are some problems getting parts, but how often do you crunch your car? Maybe that's your problem! And a Chinese taxi driver probably whangs his car as a matter of routine. Personally, I just take my car to the local body shop and get it fixed, less time, less money.

As far as reliability, the car always comes awake before I can get my seat belt buckled, and drives a couple hundred miles without problems, day after day. Never heard of anyone "not making it" to their destination because of the car.

I think this is FUD. Wish people would stop trying to lower Tesla's stock price by making up stories.

Reactions: Matt L and bshap73
Thinly veiled profanity,

Wanting to lick the tears of Tesla owners is 100% explicit, gross, and uncouth.

I think there is reasonable doubt on if my reply could be construed as "thinly veiled profanity". I think it's more a reflection of how imaginative the reader wants to be.

I might have meant "lick my Model X Service records" which would have been very dry, tiny and not notable. :)

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: P85_DA

I could have driven just fine with the very first drive unit. It was a cosmetic thing. Tesla offered to replace it for free each time and each time I got a loaner for free. The drive units had some issues in the beginning. We all know that. Tesla fixed every single one of them by replacing them for free with a new, revised one that has no issues. The issue is solved and done. If Tesla would still make bad drive units that fail, you'd have a point, but what you are doing is pointing out an issue that doesn't exist any more.

Wanting to lick the tears of Tesla owners is 100% explicit, gross, and uncouth.

I think there is reasonable doubt on if my reply could be construed as "thinly veiled profanity". I think it's more a reflection of how imaginative the reader wants to be.

I might have meant "lick my Model X Service records" which would have been very dry, tiny and not notable. :)
The fact that you thought this note was directed at your post speaks volumes. I actually meant those who took a profane word and inserted an asterisk or other character to barely obscure it.

But I’m glad you had an opportunity to self reflect. ;)

I could have driven just fine with the very first drive unit. It was a cosmetic thing. Tesla offered to replace it for free each time and each time I got a loaner for free. The drive units had some issues in the beginning. We all know that. Tesla fixed every single one of them by replacing them for free with a new, revised one that has no issues. The issue is solved and done. If Tesla would still make bad drive units that fail, you'd have a point, but what you are doing is pointing out an issue that doesn't exist any more.

@cwerdna has to hold the TMC record for most amount of posts divided by days of Tesla ownership.

2176 / 0 = No meaning / undefined.

We shouldn't question why a person would devote that much time to debate a vehicle they have never owned, do not currently own, nor have any intention of owning.

I don't own an iPace, Bolt, i3 (yuck), i8 (double yuck) but I would never hang around their forums to talk *sugar* to other owners when I could offer nothing from a position of authority.

We should question why a person would devote that much time to debate a vehicle they have never owned, do not currently own, nor have any intention of owning.

If Tesla would still make bad drive units that fail, you'd have a point, but what you are doing is pointing out an issue that doesn't exist any more.

Well, there have been some infant mortality drive units fail on the 3, so the issue isnt 100% gone yet. My neighbor had his fail on day 2 of Model 3 ownership and had to be towed in. I have read at least a couple other accounts here of Model 3 drive units leaving folks stranded. The most recent one, I actually guessed what had happened to his car before Tesla got back to him to confirm it was a drive unit. In all cases I have seen so far, the owners have been stranded, so it is actually a bit worse than the S cases.

I did some further checking and the image with the billboards is a “fake” it’s a rendering by the mysterious company (credited as such in 3 news articles I found). The company does not seem to actually exist. Trying to search for anything meaningful simply serves up a massive deluge of obscure sites masquerading as legitimate news sources all with wonderful clickbait titles for this story. There have been no actual pictures or reports of anyone actually seeing said billboards in Times Square - again the image circulating is a photoshopped image. This entire story has all the hallmarks of a coordinated information attack by a state actor - China - and ties in easily to current real news about Tesla, the SEC and US stocks. There is a very real info/economic war going on between China and US and Tesla is currently rolling out sales worldwide right now. So the timing of this also seems extremely suspect. I give this a high degree of certainty as being a info attack.

Not to mention it costs millions for a billboard slot.

Last edited:
@Evoforce - What were the issues with the Bolt?

Had defective carpet issue. Repaired with new carpet more than once. 2X

While in for carpet they damaged his paint at the dealership. Hard to repair metallic black so, he has taken back 8X and still not done.

Many times to dealer for Squawking on stop and starts and finally Chevy engineers involved to fix bad axle on front (a known issue). 3X

The one pedal driving would show "on" when it wasn't so 2X to dealer.

Recall where they had to reprogram the TCU.

Many of these issues were dealt with concurrently. Even with some issues, I would highly recommend this car and he feels the same. The dealership has never given him hassle and always a gas loaner. He hates having to put gas in it but grateful for loaner and that his vehicle is under warranty. He has a J-dapter so he can use Tesla destination chargers to get a little further out of town and hopes that better and cheaper CCS charging infrastructure comes soon. He is also an apartment dweller without home charging. He would have rather purchased a model 3 but at that time Tesla was more money. Now, Tesla SR is less money. He traded in a Leaf.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Long story short: I've loved Tesla/Elon for a very long time and craved the day I could buy one - however I've come to the painful conclusion that someone who needs a single and absolutely reliable car for daily life should not buy a Tesla

Why would I buy an expensive new car that can't do its job as effectively as my current car?

The fact that a profit-seeking company spends the money to run an ad in Times Square complaining about Tesla reliability has helped me move on from now retired dream. Those who will of course claim this is fake news or FUD --- I have read countless stories on this forum of MS, MX, and M3 cars being sidelined for ungodly amounts of time -- the trend has continued with the M3!

People always claim shorts/big oil create accounts here to create negative threads ---- why wouldn't Telsa create accounts on this forum and create positive threads

Oh well, such is life --- moving on

It's a damn shame though --- instead of shunning Toyota's advice, imagine if Elon embraced the offer and listened to them?

View attachment 401843

Chinese car hailing company demands compensation from Tesla in Times Square, NYC - Global Times
Thanks so much for posting your personal feelings to a bunch of owners from a non owners perspective... it’s very enlightening!!

Reactions: Runt8 and bshap73
Status
Not open for further replies.