Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[FAKE] Ride-share company purchases Times-Square Billboard Complaining about 1.5yr Repair Times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
@cwerdna has to hold the TMC record for most amount of posts divided by days of Tesla ownership.

2176 / 0 = No meaning / undefined.

We shouldn't question why a person would devote that much time to debate a vehicle they have never owned, do not currently own, nor have any intention of owning.

I don't own an iPace, Bolt, i3 (yuck), i8 (double yuck) but I would never hang around their forums to talk *sugar* to other owners when I could offer nothing from a position of authority.

We should question why a person would devote that much time to debate a vehicle they have never owned, do not currently own, nor have any intention of owning.

For the record I have more posts here than he does and 0 days of Tesla car ownership. I do however own TSLA shares and would be happy to replace one or more of my cars with a Tesla sooner or later, I just haven't pulled the trigger yet.

I kind of thought I'd pull the trigger in 2019 but several of my criteria haven't been met and one new stopper got added into my life. So I'm still in a holding pattern.

But if posts vs days of tesla car ownership is the metric I'm at 3,331 / 0 = undefined.

Reactions: aaron0k
I think one other thing that has been pointed out by some folks is that probably 90% of the "issues" have been fit and finish (and delivery) and that is from a rather neurotic group of early adopters that have spent way more $$$ on their car than they ever had in the past.

The number of outright failures (i.e. had to get towed) I've seen posted, considering how active these forums are, actually has been quite low. But it's hard to know the true stats based on forum complaints though. I also own a Jeep GC and participate in their forums. Jeep had huge issues starting MY13 for Jeep GC (namely the new 8 Speed Transmission). They also had huge issues with Diesel Engines. Both heavily reflected in forum complaints. Consumers rates Jeep also very low on reliability for decades. Yet every Jeep owner I know loves their Jeep. And many polls on the Jeep Forum have 90% or better stats on "Would you buy again". I think it's partly that the Jeep fills segment many other SUV's don't (off road capability - that most don't use ;), one of the best entertainment systems, and a wide selection of power plants, for a fairly modest price). And owners look past some issues. And statistically there are tons of happy Jeep owners.

I think the Tesla is partly in the same boat. It does so many things uniquely well, I think folks are willing to look past some of the issues. Or once the issues are resolved they fade away and a smile returns.

Despite Consumer Reports rating Tesla very low on reliability. You can't ignore that Consumers also rates Tesla #1 in customer satisfaction.
We'll see how that trends over the next few years with the Model 3. My guess is Reliability will come up and Customer Satisfaction may slip some.

I still own a Jeep. But I sure would love to replace it with a Model X.

As Spock would say on Star Trek "Fascinating". I had posted a reply calling this "FAKE NEWS" the day this B.S. showed up and got hammered for another TMC member who interpreting me calling this "FAKE NEWS" as "political"... so I removed my response to not deal with his negativity / drama.

Turns out my "FAKE NEWS" call was correct. Maybe now the TMC member who jumped on my original post will apologize. Not holding my breath but MAYBE he will stop being so freaking "PC" and actually LISTEN instead to alternative points of view instead of SHOUTING at everybody that doesn't match their definition of how other people should interpret facts... and respond how they see fit.

If only...

Interesting.
Do you at least drive an EV ?

I suppose you didn't see my tagline, I have 2 Nissan Leafs. I'll get either a new 3 or Y or a used S, 3, or Y at some point. I can't buy one today but I won't rule out the possibility that I'll buy one soon.

There are used Model S on the Tesla website now under $35K and there are new Model 3 for roughly the same price.

The smart play for me would be to buy a used Model 3 when a similar opportunity arrives for what used to be a much more expensive model 3 from late 2018 or early 2019 (LEMR, AWD, or the old First Available config).

But I can't rule out caving/celebrating and buying a SR or SR+ fresh off the line.

But for financial reasons that aren't on topic for this thread I'm not making any large purchases right now.

And Tesla still hasn't hit several of my check box / check list items that make me want to pull the trigger on a new or used car today. Unfortunately they aren't expected to hit several of those any time this year either.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Evoforce
You have 3333 posts here and you don’t own a Tesla? Over 6 years.
And an Avatar of a car you have no firm plan of even buying.
Just buy buy one or move on already.

Is the 2020 Roadster Section your next target?

I have been saving for the Tesla for several years now. I planned to make a decision before the $3750 tax break went away because that's the closest to my tax liability.

My avatar is of the color car I want. But I'll get the 18" wheels with aero covers assuming I get a Model 3.

CHARLOTTE, N.C., May 1, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- LendingTree®, the nation's leading online loan marketplace, today released its study ranking car brands by their buyers' average credit score. Tesla buyers have the highest with a score of 740

My credit score is higher than that. Partly because I tend to buy cars with cash. Partly because I grew up with less income and learned to make a dollar stretch. Because I don't let people like you tell me how to spend my money.

As to the "section" of the website. I tend to click on "new posts" and read the threads that interest me. I don't care what section its in.

Did you miss the part about me being a TSLA shareholder? Do you think I shouldn't be invested in TSLA? Do you think I shouldn't read and post here as a shareholder and tech enthusiast? Do you think Tesla doesn't deserve a growing market?

Last edited:
Reactions: Evoforce
Everyone I know that owns a Tesla is extremely happy with it. I have never heard first hand of issues of quality or reliability.
I have. I've personally encountered a Model S at work w/a failed charging handle locking pin. I couldn't plug them into an available WC for them because the retraction mechanism failed. Its motor was making a motor noise but was unable to retract a pin that frankly shouldn't be cycling every time for level 1 and 2 charging anyway. I had to alert the driver.

Another person at my work mentioned that the child of the parents in their carpool group would ask essentially, "what color of car is it this time?" Turns out, the parent had an X that was in the shop so much, they'd keep driving loaners that were of a different color.

A co-worker w/a 3 had his backup camera replaced at least twice and it was in the shop for over a 1.5 weeks for the second time. Mobile service came out the first time. He told me about how every single vehicle at the SC was a Model X and how he personally witnessed the "cult of Elon". There was a Model X driver who showed up with and seemed to on friendly terms w/the SA. He rattled off a whole laundry list of problems and said something like "see you in a few weeks, right?" Yep, a couple weeks. Coworker and I were puzzled that someone would be like this and be ok with it.

As for quality, but not necessarily reliability, another guy at work w/a P3D had numerous external build quality defects. He knew about most of the ones I spotted and pointed out the rest to me. At least his paint job was fine.

I am surprised about one guy at work (I don't work with him). He and I have chatted and emailed about EVs for awhile and he even rented a '15 Leaf for a few weeks. Bumped into him one day and he apparently, he bought a 3 SR+ and returned it within 7 days. Was surprised his complaint was too much noise (he said it was road noise) on the highway. He was disappointed. Not sure what he'll get next.

He is honestly, the first person and only person I've met so far who has returned a 3.
I own an S and a 3. My S has 85,000 miles on it. My wife's 3 has over 10,000 miles on it. No issues at all, great cars, smooth, quiet, and NO SERVICE. I don't understand people taking an electric in for service all the time when there is no service required. Gas cars go in for service to get oil and filter changed, but there is no oil or filter to change on a Tesla.
I'm not sure why you keep parroting this...

As I pointed out at 2017 Model 3 Reliability, you'd had a bunch of issues w/your S and had been at one point taking it in about "once a month".

@cwerdna has to hold the TMC record for most amount of posts divided by days of Tesla ownership.

2176 / 0 = No meaning / undefined.

We shouldn't question why a person would devote that much time to debate a vehicle they have never owned, do not currently own, nor have any intention of owning.
We should question why a person would devote that much time to debate a vehicle they have never owned, do not currently own, nor have any intention of owning.
You sure like attacking people who don't agree with your point of view. This isn't the first time I've been one of your targets.

I had been watching the Model S for awhile but its price has crept too high and its reliability and cost of ownership past warranty seems questionable.

The 3 was on my list of consideration but I certainly wasn't NOT going to buy a 3 w/forced premium package (glass roof and all) and LR battery that I didn't want. There were other reasons, some of which I've stated. I even publicly stated at Official Tesla Model 3 thread - Page 248 - My Nissan Leaf Forum in May 2018
cwerdna said:
I haven't even put in my $1K deposit, intentionally. As I've publicly stated in numerous places, possibly even here, I'm waiting to see how real customer cars hold up in terms of reliability once they've been in their hands for 6-12 months. Even that might be premature.

So far, the signs aren't looking good in that department, which isn't surprising to me at all.
GlennD said:
I really do not want the long range option.
I am not spending 57K on a car that was announced as a 35K car.
Ditto. I also wouldn't want the glass roof nor would I want to pay for AWD and performance options.

Well, there have been some infant mortality drive units fail on the 3, so the issue isnt 100% gone yet. My neighbor had his fail on day 2 of Model 3 ownership and had to be towed in. I have read at least a couple other accounts here of Model 3 drive units leaving folks stranded. The most recent one, I actually guessed what had happened to his car before Tesla got back to him to confirm it was a drive unit. In all cases I have seen so far, the owners have been stranded, so it is actually a bit worse than the S cases.
Indeed. For context, here are some Model 3's w/failed DUs: Shoddy quality and poor QC and missing parts...

You sure like attacking people who don't agree with your point of view. This isn't the first time I've been one of your targets.

I had been watching the Model S for awhile but its price has crept too high and its reliability and cost of ownership past warranty seems questionable.

The 3 was on my list of consideration but I certainly wasn't NOT going to buy a 3 w/forced premium package (glass roof and all) and LR battery that I didn't want. There were other reasons, some of which I've stated. I even publicly stated at Official Tesla Model 3 thread - Page 248 - My Nissan Leaf Forum in May 2018

I’m not attacking you at all.

I am just questioning the mindset and motivations of someone spouting practically a 100% negative viewpoint on a brand they do not own and do not intend to own on a forum catered to enthusiast of that product.

Probably a full 3rd of my disagrees come specifically from you. Doesn’t bother me as I’m more concerned about being actually right versus people’s perception of if I am right.

The car is 35K right now and you are getting everything you are complaining about needing to pay for.

What’s your excuse now for pretending you were always interested in a Tesla?

• Disagree
I’m not attacking you at all.

I am just questioning the mindset and motivations of someone spouting practically a 100% negative viewpoint on a brand they do not own and do not intend to own on a forum catered to enthusiast of that product.

Probably a full 3rd of my disagrees come specifically from you. Doesn’t bother me as I’m more concerned about being actually right versus people’s perception of if I am right.

The car is 35K right now and you are getting everything you are complaining about needing to pay for.

What’s your excuse now for pretending you were always interested in a Tesla?
Here you again... The bolded part is not true.

As for the "35K right now", well, it's too late. I bought a heavily discounted Bolt in Jan 2019 as it was unknown at that point when a $35K 3 would come out. After all, it was supposed to be available for ordering in Nov 2017 (Model 3 Reservations FAQ) and be available not long after that.

IIRC, in Jan 2019, $44K MR was the cheapest. I don't buy black cars so it was another $2K for white and the tax credit was $3750 by then.

I never pretended that I was always interested in a Tesla. If I were *that* uninterested, you think I would start these threads on TCF?
(You need to be logged in with a free TCF account to view that area.)
https://www.tivocommunity.com/community/index.php?threads/tesla-model-s-thread.488339/ in 2012
https://www.tivocommunity.com/community/index.php?threads/tesla-model-x-thread.522633/ in 2014
https://www.tivocommunity.com/community/index.php?threads/tesla-model-3-thread.522634/ in 2014

You notice I've been here since 2012? An EV has been my primary car since end of July 2013. It would've been earlier than that if I weren't for some other reasons. (e.g. I test drove pre-production Leafs and Volts at EVents before they were available for sale. I put in my deposit for a Leaf twice: 1st time refunded it got refunded and I put it in again. By the end, it was moot and also got refunded.)

I do NOT want the glass roof. I didn't want to pay for it and now it's even worse that it's included on all 3's. Other than cost being lower now, there are numerous other issues that I have with the 3 that are not addressed in any way by the lower cost.

FWIW, I have no positions in TSLA or any derivatives (e.g. options) at the moment. I don't think I've ever shorted TSLA (I'm not nuts. I've lost more $ shorting other stocks than I have made shorting them so I really avoid it now) but personally have been in and out of TSLA stock sometimes and have sometimes sold short-dated naked puts against TSLA (which is actually a somewhat bullish position) to collect premium. I don't recall if I've ever taken any bearish positions (it would be via options, if it happened) against TSLA but if so, it would be very rare. The way the stock trades and moves is totally irrational.

Last edited:
Here you again... The bolded part is not true.

As for the "35K right now", well, it's too late. I bought a heavily discounted Bolt in Jan 2019 as it was unknown at that point when a $35K 3 would come out. After all, it was supposed to be available for ordering in Nov 2017 (Model 3 Reservations FAQ) and be available not long after that.

IIRC, in Jan 2019, $44K MR was the cheapest. I don't buy black cars so it was another $2K for white and the tax credit was $3750 by then.

I never pretended that I was always interested in a Tesla. If I were *that* uninterested, you think I would start these threads on TCF?
(You need to be logged in with a free TCF account to view that area.)
https://www.tivocommunity.com/community/index.php?threads/tesla-model-s-thread.488339/ in 2012
https://www.tivocommunity.com/community/index.php?threads/tesla-model-x-thread.522633/ in 2014
https://www.tivocommunity.com/community/index.php?threads/tesla-model-3-thread.522634/ in 2014

You notice I've been here since 2012? An EV has been my primary car since end of July 2013. It would've been earlier than that if I weren't for some other reasons. (e.g. I test drove pre-production Leafs and Volts at EVents before they were available for sale. I put in my deposit for a Leaf twice: 1st time refunded it got refunded and I put it in again. By the end, it was moot and also got refunded.)

I do NOT want the glass roof. I didn't want to pay for it and now it's even worse that it's included on all 3's. Other than cost being lower now, there are numerous other issues that I have with the 3 that are not addressed in any way by the lower cost.

FWIW, I have no positions in TSLA or any derivatives (e.g. options) at the moment. I don't think I've ever shorted TSLA (I'm not nuts. I've lost more $ shorting other stocks than I have made shorting them so I really avoid it now) but personally have been in and out of TSLA stock sometimes and have sometimes sold short-dated naked puts against TSLA (which is actually a somewhat bullish position) to collect premium. I don't recall if I've ever taken any bearish positions (it would be via options, if it happened) against TSLA but if so, it would be very rare. The way the stock trades and moves is totally irrational.

You could have asked me when the 35K Model was coming out. I would of said June at the latest.

Tesla surprised me by coming out a lot sooner. Not the best for their margins but it is what it is.

There’s a reason why the Bolt is heavily discounted. That same heavy discount is going to work against you in the secondary market.

I would wager that easily 9/10 people are happy with the glass roof. There’s always 1/10 but you should question why you should feel so strongly that 9/10 are wrong in your eyes?

If you have issues you should spell them out so we can agree or challenge them.

Tesla is always a day late and a dollar short in your mindset but that’s fine - it’s your resources not mine.

For me almost every decision can be distilled to one simple question:

Does the hot exceed the crazy? Three times for me it has.

Someone in EVs for as long as you have is like someone liking fantasy tv but never watched Game of Thrones.

Or a connoisseur in hamburgers but never tried In N Out.

It’s bizarre.

Last edited:
I would wager that easily 9/10 people are happy with the glass roof. There’s always 1/10 but you should question why you should feel so strongly that 9/10 are wrong in your eyes?
I already partly said it at Cost of Model 3 roof glass replacement. What happens after warranty? I've also said it at Official Tesla Model 3 thread - Page 349 - My Nissan Leaf Forum and Official Tesla Model 3 thread - Page 351 - My Nissan Leaf Forum.

If you have issues you should spell them out so we can agree or challenge them.
They've all been covered one way or another in various threads here. It's too late anyway. I've already heard all sorts of excuses and in some cases deflection for all of them and workarounds (for some where it's possible).

If I post them, it will only lead to more of the same rehashing of the above and taking up more of my time and everyone else's. I've said most of them aloud to some folks at my work (including some that own 3's), so they know where I stand.

There's really no point right now. Maybe I'll get to it, someday, when I have more time and appetite for the response, which will no doubt include some folks belittling me, some of which will stem from what https://www.gamesradar.com/psychology-fanboys-explained-professional/ explains pretty well.
it’s your resources not mine.
Yes and I voted a specific way.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.