Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Falcon Wing Door Alignment Issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Martin Mao

Aug 29, 2017
CA
My left side falcon wing door is misaligned, and already been in service center for at least 4 times. They sent my car to body shop last time, still didn't fix that. I talked to the manager at the SC, he said they already adjusted my door to their accepted specs. But it just better than before, and still misaligned, any advice what should i do? I'm tired with this, only got my car about a month, and feel like i'm going to service center every week trying to get this fix.

I feel your pain. We had the same problem with both FWD's misaligned on a June delivery. It took 3 visits for that and other problems before they finally got them pretty flush. 1st time, I really don't think they even tried to do anything. 2nd time, the body shop put a lip of paint or clearcoat on the edge of the door while fixing some paint elsewhere so I was pretty annoyed things were getting worse, not better. When we went over the door alignment that time, they called one of the mechanics who measured the gaps and proclaimed they were well outside of spec. I think they took it to another body shop (tracking location on the app). This time around they did a pretty good job. Wife picked it up so wasn't able to quiz them on what they did. I'll try to post some before and after pics but our passenger side FWD was really bad where it stuck out well outside the front door.
I would be persistent with them.

Reactions: Tam
I have a brand new 2019 model and the doors align great, but what does happen, is that they sort of shift aft when opening and closing which causes them to sort nick the window trim at the rear of the side window line.

This seems to be a pervasive issue and has causes issues with other owners doors stopping before fully closing because they bind on that rear corner.

Which makes it worse, is I have chrome delete using black vinyl and it has started to chip away at that light material. I had the detail shop put a little bit of PPF over those edges to help provide some armor, but can already see where it is hitting that trim with every actuation. If you put forward pressure on the door by placing your palm against the window and pushing forward during operation, it misses the trim. But that is certainly not a long term fix. ;) It is even scratching the edge of the rear windows as that is the area that is catching on the trim when it opens and closes.

I don't know if this is something the service center can fix. In my mind it is just the over-engineered nature of these doors and may be something we have to live with unless there is some sort of recall that changes some of the parts to adjust the overall travel of the doors.

I have a brand new 2019 model and the doors align great, but what does happen, is that they sort of shift aft when opening and closing which causes them to sort nick the window trim at the rear of the side window line.

Same issue here in our week-and-a-half old Raven. It's only an issue on the driver's side FWD and seems to be particularly bad if I'm parked with the rear of the car downhill, aka with more tilt due to the slope (as one would expect due). I've got a SC appointment for the first week of September for them to hopefully evaluate and take care of this, along with a couple of other issues.

vQJsoTd.jpg

Here's the door just before it fully closes showing where it rubs against the chrome trim. At this point, a portion of the door below the door trim has already overlapped the chrome window trim and pushed the door back into place. But the two pieces of chrome remain pretty tight against each other (you can see a small mark on the window trim near the center of the circle where the door has scratched the chrome).

You should probably have them look at it, I have a service 3rd of September for the exact same issue and it's a "known problem". Afaik it will cause damage over time if not fixed.

Same issue here in our week-and-a-half old Raven. It's only an issue on the driver's side FWD and seems to be particularly bad if I'm parked with the rear of the car downhill, aka with more tilt due to the slope (as one would expect due). I've got a SC appointment for the first week of September for them to hopefully evaluate and take care of this, along with a couple of other issues.

vQJsoTd.jpg

Here's the door just before it fully closes showing where it rubs against the chrome trim. At this point, a portion of the door below the door trim has already overlapped the chrome window trim and pushed the door back into place. But the two pieces of chrome remain pretty tight against each other (you can see a small mark on the window trim near the center of the circle where the door has scratched the chrome).

Wow, yeah that is particularly bad. Mine is just close enough to scrape when opening and closing. And yes, it is a more pronounced problem when parked on an incline and gravity is pulling the door further aft.

This seems to be a pervasive issue and has causes issues with other owners doors stopping before fully closing because they bind on that rear corner.

Which makes it worse, is I have chrome delete using black vinyl and it has started to chip away at that light material. I had the detail shop put a little bit of PPF over those edges to help provide some armor, but can already see where it is hitting that trim with every actuation. If you put forward pressure on the door by placing your palm against the window and pushing forward during operation, it misses the trim. But that is certainly not a long term fix. ;) It is even scratching the edge of the rear windows as that is the area that is catching on the trim when it opens and closes.

I don't know if this is something the service center can fix. In my mind it is just the over-engineered nature of these doors and may be something we have to live with unless there is some sort of recall that changes some of the parts to adjust the overall travel of the doors.

My 2017 had this issue at delivery. The clearance was just tight enough to nick the rear fixed window's chrome trim as the door was closing. About 25% of the time, this caused the door to stop, reverse, and issue a series of warning beeps.

The service center "fixed" this by adjusting the chrome trim around that fixed window. They shifted it rearward, which pulled the trim away from the edge of the door. This alleviated the door contact issue, but it resulted in the trim sticking out past the edge of the D-pillar and nearly making contact with the tailgate. So I traded one misalignment for another. Fortunately, a subsequent visit set the chrome trim perfectly.

The true fix is to have the door readjusted by a body shop. At the time of my initial service visit, this was something the service center itself could not perform--they said it would have to be sent out. I never had it done, because I didn't want to be without a car for a month.

The mobile service tech just left my house. Super nice and knowledgeable guy, by the way.

He said the would schedule an appointment and take the rear crescent windows (between rear lift gate and side panel) out and slide them back a millimeter. It is a lot easier then messing with the door travel. This would give more gap between the falcon wing door and those rear window/chrome trim pieces. This seems fine to me. It was not hitting bad, just nick's it every once in a while, and especially when parked on an incline.

He said the would schedule an appointment and take the rear crescent windows (between rear lift gate and side panel) out and slide them back a millimeter. It is a lot easier then messing with the door travel...

That's good to know - I was afraid they would have to tweak the door travel but that really seems like a great way to introduce new problems... Hopefully, moving the trim also solves my issue - I have a SC appointment next week to find out!