Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Falcon Wing Door false obstacle detection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been seeing an issue w fwd (both sides, but more common on drivers side) with false object detection. Was also finding that even when i geo-fenced my parking spot at home to open fully, it wasn't always opening fully. Intermittently didn't open all the way.

SC initially didn't believe me, in spite of multiple photos, but after talking w them at length and describing the issues they agreed to replace the sensor on the drivers side door (later that day they replaced passenger side as well because I continued to see the issue there).

Now that sensors are replaced, I'm still seeing the issue w geo-fenced area at home, and just had it happen again in a outdoor parking lot where I should have had plenty of clearance. Starting to get frustrated - not sure what the issue is.

Planning to talk with SC again this week once I have more examples documented.

My MX was delivered in December 2016. Also have a MS that I've had no issues with.

We have a 49xx vin with a May build.
Anyone else experiencing intermittent issues with FWD sensors?
I feel like it occurs more on closing then opening.
My X is VIN 57xxx and two days ago my right FW started having a problem; the door appeared to be fully closed but when I put the car in gear the center screen showed an alert saying it was not closed. The audible alarm was so piercing it is too annoying to drive the car in that state. So the alarm is doing its job. :cool:

I checked for obstacles all around the door seal and at the latch. None apparent. I raised the door fully up and down multiple times, rebooted the car repeatedly, even powered it off. Alarm persisted.

Then my spouse decided to clean the latch areas with isopropyl alcohol. The alarm went away. Huh?

And then today the door open alarm came back, same door. Alcohol cleaning did not help (I didn’t expect it to). I found this thread and read every post. I followed @ohmman’s advice and scrupulously cleaned and detailed all the door seals, attempted to recalibrate the door by continuously pressing the up button until the door reached its full height then continuously pressed the down button until it stopped in the closed position, stood outside the car while the door was closing and applied pressure along the bottom as it was latching.

None of those techniques worked. So I assume the door position sensor is faulty.

My X is VIN 57xxx and two days ago my right FW started having a problem; the door appeared to be fully closed but when I put the car in gear the center screen showed an alert saying it was not closed. The audible alarm was so piercing it is too annoying to drive the car in that state. So the alarm is doing its job. :cool:

I checked for obstacles all around the door seal and at the latch. None apparent. I raised the door fully up and down multiple times, rebooted the car repeatedly, even powered it off. Alarm persisted.

Then my spouse decided to clean the latch areas with isopropyl alcohol. The alarm went away. Huh?

And then today the door open alarm came back, same door. Alcohol cleaning did not help (I didn’t expect it to). I found this thread and read every post. I followed @ohmman’s advice and scrupulously cleaned and detailed all the door seals, attempted to recalibrate the door by continuously pressing the up button until the door reached its full height then continuously pressed the down button until it stopped in the closed position, stood outside the car while the door was closing and applied pressure along the bottom as it was latching.

None of those techniques worked. So I assume the door position sensor is faulty.

I think the falcon doors are over engineered. I'm onto my 2nd MX and the same issues persist. Especially when sun is shining on one side for 2+ hours, then it is more likely to detect an obstacle outside.

I think the falcon doors are over engineered. I'm onto my 2nd MX and the same issues persist. Especially when sun is shining on one side for 2+ hours, then it is more likely to detect an obstacle outside.
The Falcon Wings are certainly a complex piece of engineering for a mass production automobile. It’s amazing to me that they work as well as they do. The problem I’m currently having is my first significant issue in almost two years of ownership.

I have not had an issue with false obstacle detection. My issue is that the passenger side FW appears to be fully closed but the car thinks it is not closed. The center display shows the door in the closed position (fully down, not part way) but the “close” button is shown as well as the “open” button.

Tesla Mobile Service is coming today to look at it. They were originally coming to look at an issue I was having with the front row passenger side door window not closing fully, but that issue has gone away. Then three days ago this FW issue started happening. It’s probably not an issue that can be fixed by Mobile Service but I kept the appointment anyway.

two days ago my right FW started having a problem; the door appeared to be fully closed but when I put the car in gear the center screen showed an alert saying it was not closed.
Update on my FW issue. Tesla Mobile Service guy diagnosed it as a malfunctioning “cinch actuator”, a mechanism in the latch that pulls the door the last mm or so into the latch. He said the latch was working but the cinch actuator was not so the car thinks the door is open even though it clearly is not, and it is latched. Grr...

Unfortunately the needed part is not sitting on a shelf at a nearby Service Center, so I am going to have to wait a few days. It’s not like 2013 with my Model S when my local Service Centers had just about every part I would likely need (and Roadster parts as well!).

Do you notice it happening mostly on warm days where that particular door might be facing the direct sun?
The only times that I have had with fwd doors not closing is when the car has been parked on an uneven surface. The body must be torqued very slightly by uneven surfaces.

I have noticed that the black plastic trim gaps can be close to Zero in very hot conditions. Just returned from 4K mile trip to SW. Temperatures from 40s to 100. All went well.

I had the passenger side FWD's sensor replaced (March 2017 build) again this year. It seems to be doing better now. The SC said the old (replaced a year ago) sensor was loose or had too much space. We used to get the red indicator on the display, even in an empty parking lot. The driver's side has always been fine. So far the new sensor seems to have done the trick, but we haven't really tested it with direct sun yet.

Update on my FW issue. Tesla Mobile Service guy diagnosed it as a malfunctioning “cinch actuator”, a mechanism in the latch that pulls the door the last mm or so into the latch. He said the latch was working but the cinch actuator was not so the car thinks the door is open even though it clearly is not, and it is latched. Grr...

Unfortunately the needed part is not sitting on a shelf at a nearby Service Center, so I am going to have to wait a few days. It’s not like 2013 with my Model S when my local Service Centers had just about every part I would likely need (and Roadster parts as well!).
Tesla Mobile Service came out with the cinch actuator part to fix my FW door issue. For the past week the center display had shown an error message saying the FW doors need calibrating. I repeatedly ran the calibration routine without fixing the issue; the door opens about 6” and then closes. The Tesla tech tried the calibration routine and the door exhibited that behavior. Then he tried it again...and the door opened fully and then closed fully and the error message went away.

We then opened and closed the FW dozens of times and it worked perfectly, and we could hear the cinch actuator mechanism working after the door latched. So he did not install the cinch actuator replacement part. He connected his computer to the car and checked things and could not find any issue.

It’s a mystery.

I had the same issue with my doors...The SC installed new sensors and it works much better now...still see it perhaps once every couple dozen door openings but it used to occur 20% of the time...

Concern: Customer states: Falcon door sensors won't open and detecting objects there as if
something is in the way but nothing is present. Special ordered part in stock.

Corrections: Sensor - Ultrasonic - Rear Door - LH

Perform function test, verified improper operation. Performed function test while testing
actual values, found distance readings fluctuating for no reason. Requires replacement of
ultrasonic sensor. Replaced ultrasonic sensor. Performed function test after repair, confirm
repairs. System functions as designed.

Part Quantity

SENSOR, ULTRASONIC,
RADIAL,COUPLING TAPE (1055890-00-D)

I know this is a very old post but do you happen to remember if they charged you for this sensor? I just took delivery of a used 2017 MX a month ago and its been having the same problems and they ordered the same part. I still have a 4 yr /50k mile warranty but am unsure if that covers the cost of this part.

I was chatting with our Tesla ranger the other day during a front door latch replacement and he provided some insight that might align what others have experienced and may explain the odd false obstacle detection behavior. A few months back, my X started to have the false obstacle detection bug on the passenger side falcon wing door. I logged a few bug reports, but it was sporadic and seemingly random. Since we don't have a service center in our state, Tesla loaned me a Model S and flat bed trucked mine to the closest service center, where they replaced the inductive door sensor in the afflicted door. The problem has not since returned. My drivers side falcon wing door now is very sporadically experiencing the same problem so I mentioned it to the Ranger when he was working on the latch. He said that, although it's not an official service procedure, he has found that the adhesives used to hold the inductive sensors can detach after time which causes the false positive. Apparently, around the falcon wing door roof window, there's a wire that weaves back and forth that constitutes the inductive pinch sensor that needs to be re-adhered if it becomes separated from the mating surface. Movement of the door, vibration of the road, heat on the roof; these are all factors that make the issue appear random. That's also why sensor replacement fixes the issue and also why the issue can appear months after delivery. It's field fixable, but involves removing both the interior ceiling panel and the upper door panel, which has connectors that have a tendency to break during removal so replacement panels on hand are recommended. Perhaps a software update could solve this issue by adjusting the positive detection range of the sensors but if you're experiencing these issue, it's worth talking to the SC about a resolution.
Do you have a picture of where this sensor are at, thanks? I like to check it out. Door can't be fully close.