Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Falcon Wing Door sensor reliability?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
BTW I wonder if all the folks having this problem have a black MX?

Exact same behavior on our black 90D At least now I know I am not imagining things. Weird thing is that it doesn't happen if you are driving in the hot sunshine. It only happens when you are parked in the open for a long time. So far it doesn't bother me too much as my vehicle is generally not parked outside for too long. I'll probably get the SC to look at it when I go in for my 12k service. I just don't want them messing with the FWDs. The car has been relatively flawless for almost 8 months now (fingers crossed)!

Midnight silver here.

They messed with my FWD and made a dent on the plastic part of the floor (side step). It appears they dropped a tool on it while working on the FWD. They are ordering the piece to replace when I go in next time.

I feel like I went there for nothing last week. I still have the same issue and now there's duct tape showing up on edge of my passenger door, a dent on the side step, with nothing accomplished.

BTW I wonder if all the folks having this problem have a black MX?
Unfortunately, I think a relatively simple physics concept is foiling the amazing engineering that went into the sensor. Damn black absorbs too much. I again experienced the issue today on the passenger side. If either side gets too hot, it won't open.

It's going to be a royal pain this summer...

Tesla will tell me, "yeah, it's a known issue, but not a safety issue."

What's weird is that it did not happen last year between end of September to Nov (when there were still some very hot days in SoCal). It just started happening this year after the rainy season is gone.

I am not sure if not being able to open the door is not a safety issue. It seems like in an emergency I wouldn't be able to open the door to save my kid?

I just remember that a technician at Costa Mesa service told me on Monday that the mount holding the ultrasound sensor does have some free play due to thermal expansion, and that free play can cause the sensor to move and cause wrong reading. Supposedly something they just found out recently. Not sure how accurate his info is, but it may explain some of the issues after the car sits in the sun. Still doesn't explain the issue with my car though...

Our X's passenger side does that when it opens fully. We had asked service to address it, but it came back fairly quickly.

we've had ours in 2Xin 1 month & its less than 2 months old - the left side groans ½the time it closes. Anybody else ?

Ours did it too on drivers side after I asked them to realign it because on the outside the drivers door and FWD were not aligned. I had to go back later for them to adjust the track. So far so good.

We have been to service center 3x in 4 months of ownership and 4th time coming next week. I wouldn't mind too much except SD never has any loaners.

Ours did it too on drivers side after I asked them to realign it because on the outside the drivers door and FWD were not aligned. I had to go back later for them to adjust the track. So far so good.

We have been to service center 3x in 4 months of ownership and 4th time coming next week. I wouldn't mind too much except SD never has any loaners.

They don't even have non-Tesla loaners/rentals? I have been at Costa Mesa 5 times in 6 months, and have gotten Tesla loaners 3 times (a X75D, a P100DL, and a S85) and 2 Hertz rentals (a CLA250 and a Cadillac XTS).

Do you know what they mean by adjusting the track on your door? I likely will have to take it back again for the same door, and would like to offer them some suggestions that work for others.

Just an update, after 2 service visits my driver side FWD is still having issue when being hit with direct sunlight. It starts detecting phantom objects and refuse to let me open the FWD.

Both times they replaced the ultrasonic sensors and tested to work as expected. When I picked up the car on the second visit after they told me it's working "perfectly", the issue was happening right in front of me so I called the tech over and he confirmed they need engineering assistance because all they know to do is to replace the sensors which does not help.

So I am planning to bring it back for the 3rd time. Does the lemon law apply for this kind of issue??

My passenger side FWD has the sensor problem. I hadn't noticed that it might be temperature related, but it does sometimes work OK so that might be the case. Though the driver's side hasn't been a problem. Midnight Silver, which sounds like a contributor. There is also a rattle on the passenger side that I thought could be a loose sensor. I would think it would be very sensitive to its position relative to the door skin.

It's going to the SC tomorrow. I guess I won't be surprised if it doesn't get fixed.

Going to SC tomorrow for exact same issue. Phantom objects around both FWDs. Also midnight silver. I was at Ikea Saturday, car was hot when I came back with 10 month old in my arms, neither FWD would open at all. So annoying.

So I am planning to bring it back for the 3rd time. Does the lemon law apply for this kind of issue??

I have been researching a bit for our door problem. I believe it'll qualify after 4 failed repair attempts, since it's not a considered safety critical item. It's 2 repairs if its safety related stuff.

Our driver side falcon wing door is still acting up, and it'll be attempt number 4 if I do take it in. It's just so inconvenient with their hours.

Got my 3rd visit scheduled for this week. Hopefully they can get to the bottom of this and not just simply replacing the sensor.

It's weird that so many Midnight Silvers have the issue and not blacks?