Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Falcon Wings - Must have them, will absolutely hate them

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would have a reservation on the Model X, if the falcon doors were on the driver's and front passenger side. I think they are cool, like the door handles.

As soon as my solar is turned on at my house (awaiting electric company approval) my car will be higher powered. I think that's cool too.

Now, all they have to do is "open on approach" for the Falcon Wings. Mate it with a camera and open the Falcon Wings automatically when a) they are clear of obstacles and b) the driver is approaching with two or more other people. :)

Yeah, the handles coming out on approach is by far the coolest implementation of keyless entry I've ever seen. Yet, I must say, aside from one breaking down, I can't imagine the handles being as big of a chore as the Falcon Wings may be...

Personally, I like them, my wife loathes them.

Loathe is a rather strong word for someone who's never experienced the Falcon Wing doors, an opinion based simply on a picture or two. One might want to actually open the book a page or two before taking such a stance. I believe that there are going to be a lot of people changing their minds from hate and loathe when they see the practicality of the doors in action. Some really like to fight change, sometimes for no reason at all but that it's different.

Loathe is a rather strong word for someone who's never experienced the Falcon Wing doors, an opinion based simply on a picture or two. One might want to actually open the book a page or two before taking such a stance. I believe that there are going to be a lot of people changing their minds from hate and loathe when they see the practicality of the doors in action. Some really like to fight change, sometimes for no reason at all but that it's different.

I will send you her email address and you can discuss......I will get the popcorn:biggrin: as this will be good. j/k .......but she does not like the 'look' of them at all and while it may not be logical we all make choices based on our own frame of reference and thus, personal preferences, especially when buying any vehicle at this price point as it is a 'want' and not a 'need' decision.

I don't think the few seconds the falcon wing passenger doors need to open is an issue. With the driver's side door, maybe...

Also, my experience with the Model S few seconds rear hatch opening and closing is that you adapt your routine to it. Open ahead of time with the key fob as you approach the car, or on the 17" panel if you are in the car, and by the time you need to lift your stuff in or out the trunk, its already opened. Maybe the falcon doors can be opened a few seconds before you come to a complete stop. That'd be cool.

Those are fair points. Although I have to wonder how hard reaching the door closing button will be for some, on the Falcon Wings. Do they close like the trunk lid from a button high up? Does anyone have the time, how long the Falcon Wings open/close on the prototype?

The videos I've watched show two buttons for each door: one is in the door itself , much like the Model S truck lid, which requires reaching above your head. So it rises with the door. But there's also a button on the B pillar (between the front and falcon wing door), so shorter people or children could close the door.

FWIW, you can set the Model S truck lid to only extend to a maximum height you desire. It makes sense that the falcon wings doors may have that option.

- - - Updated - - -

That's MRS. old, creepy lady, tyvm. :wink:

Your comment actually made me look and yeah, they still sell those sofa covers... on Amazon of all places. I can't wait to get mine. They even have covers that will fit the drivers and passenger seat.

I'm trying to decide if I should buy my set now or wait until my MX is actually delivered. It seems crazy to buy them so early. But I'm worried there might be a rush on them from other Tesla owners and I won't be able to get the elegant clear plastic covers, you know? :biggrin:

I will send you her email address and you can discuss......I will get the popcorn:biggrin: as this will be good. j/k

Pfft! I'm sure we'd have a fine chit chat ending with the topic of husbands, where common ground is likely to be abundant. :wink: But yes, I understand that initially a reaction of "*%&$ (#(@(@ $$%%^#@ what the *$*%& are those things!?" can be rather common and volumized by the extent of the difference. I try hard not to do that, except in the case of sweetbreads and other exotic food stuffs (even if I was starving).

- - - Updated - - -

Your comment actually made me look and yeah, they still sell those sofa covers... on Amazon of all places. I can't wait to get mine. They even have covers that will fit the drivers and passenger seat.

I'm trying to decide if I should buy my set now or wait until my MX is actually delivered. It seems crazy to buy them so early. But I'm worried there might be a rush on them from other Tesla owners and I won't be able to get the elegant clear plastic covers, you know? :biggrin:

How quickly the scales of old, creepy lady can tilt in someone else's favor. I didn't even get a solid 24hrs before you snatched the title right out of my hands. :scared:

- - - Updated - - -

Minivan sliding door without the stigma ... **Runs and Hides***

Who knew? I had no idea there was any sort of minivan (or minivan sliding door) stigma. I, of the 'on my third one (and seriously considering a fourth)' and not even any kids to ever put inside. Indeed, I was extremely upset when my minivan was stolen earlier this year and was worried the insurance company would write it off rather than fix it when it was found.

Hmm...maybe I'll get some plastic seat and floor coverings for it...

The videos I've watched show two buttons for each door: one is in the door itself , much like the Model S truck lid, which requires reaching above your head. So it rises with the door. But there's also a button on the B pillar (between the front and falcon wing door), so shorter people or children could close the door.

Good catch about the two closing buttons, that will definitely solve the reaching worry.

Found this picture of the Falcon Wings closing button (the one on the door itself):

http://image.motortrend.com/f/36539098+w786+ar1/Tesla-Model-X-Gullwing-Door-Button.jpg

Here one can see the button on the B pillar, the white spot on black, halfway up the pillar:

http://images.thecarconnection.com/lrg/tesla-model-x-at-2013-detroit-auto-show_100415431_l.jpg

FWIW, you can set the Model S truck lid to only extend to a maximum height you desire. It makes sense that the falcon wings doors may have that option.

Yeah, that's a common feature on automated trunks, where it makes immediate sense (and I guess many manufacturers use the same vendor for that electronics/mechanism). I do have to wonder how it would work on the Falcon Wings, though, due to their shape. The highest part is the top roof section that goes vertical, so to make the doors lower, the roof section would have to stop at an angle, which I guess would mean the door opening taking more space on the sides or having to partially block the door opening... I guess some amount of adjustability in this regard is possible, let's see if it happens.

My P85 is relatively new and I'm still hitting my head on the trunk door because of it's angled shape. On more boxy cars the trunk lid is usually relatively straight and thus can be avoided more easily when set to not rise much above the roofline, but on the Model S (and on other coupe-like hatchbacks) the shape of the trunk lid means the rear of it is significantly lower than its top point.

I'm a little concerned about them not hitting things above them in our garage. I assume they'll have an adjustment similar to the trunk height adjustment on the Model S. We're getting it either way. If it's even close to as much of a home run as the MS we're gonna love it. I really believe it'll be my wife's favorite car ever.

Hello everyone,

I have an MX pre-ordered #2040 but the Falcon Wings, if mandatory (ie. no regular or sliding doors option), would be an absolute deal-breaker for me and anyone living around Paris, France.

The reason being that almost all underground parkings have a 1.90m max height allowance (6 feet 3 inches) for diverse reasons related to lack of underground space (former stone mines & catacombs, sewers & subway lines, Seine river etc.).
This will let most SUV enter (Range Rover, BMW X5, Audi Q7, Jeep Cherokee etc.), thanks to a local best-seller, the Renault Espace minivan, but without roof-racks.

Here's a link to all parkings around the Champs-Elysees for example:
VINCI Park, leader du stationnement, gère 2.500 parkings dans le monde
If you click on any and scroll down, you'll find the value "Hauteur Maximum: 1.90" mentionned. Hauteur=Height.
Like 100% of them...

Because a picture is worth thousand words:
vinci.jpg

I can attest for myself with the Model S: the trunk door will hit the ceiling/pipes/electrical supports almost 100% of the time, grrrr....

Based on the pictures of the X Falcon Wings I've seen so far, in opened position, there is NO WAY you can open them in an underground parking in Paris and around. I guess that extends to other capital/major cities in "Old Europe" like Amsterdam, Berlin, Brussels, Geneva, London, Stockholm and co.

If the Falcon Wings are mandatory, you can probably figure out the Tesla Model X Delivery figures (as opposed to Pre-Order) in Downtown Paris without being a super smart financial analyst (j/k):
- 2015: zero
- 2016: zero
- 2017: zero

Eric from "Old Europe" :cool:

PS: I understand you folks in CA are rather fond of surfing, how do you deal with surfboards on roof with Falcon wings ?
Or skis/snowboards in Lake Tahoe ?

BTW: Is there any reason to think Model X might come optionally without Falcon Wings? Beyond wishful thinking by some? It would seem like quite a major re-design for the product to offer such an option. Has there been any hints to support the idea that Tesla might entertain, let alone implement the option?

Myself, I'm content letting my passengers out somewhere on the far side of Boulevard Périphérique - or the local mudfield as applicable - and put them on the bus instead. Who buys a three-row SUV for hauling around people anyway. Obviously the latter two thirds of the Model X are for show only.

But I do get the point. The Falcon Wings are going to be a major pain in the behind for anyone actually considering using the car. I guess this is a form of the Stockholm syndrome towards the Falcon Wings - or perhaps Oslo syndrome would be more apt, considering the success of Tesla there.

That, or Elon has inherited Jobs' reality distortion (mud)field. No matter, I'm getting those Falcon Wings.

p.s. I guess no roof racks for Model X? Has there been any comment on this from Tesla?

Issues with power doors.
Current minivan has power doors with no manual override. Our son climbs out through the front rather than wait for the doors to cycle.
Say in school pickup/dropoff line - you can't move while the doors a operating without annoying chimes.
Total PITA - never use them again. Will not be getting X