Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

False Speed Limit (School Zones, End speed areas) for 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't have AP or TACC on my "classic P85", however, having the software automatically change speeds based on a visual inspection of the speed limit signs could pose challenges.

In our area, on the highways we've got speed limit signs posted for the main lanes, HOV lanes, exit ramps and frontage roads. Signs that apply to one area - are often close to the adjacent roadway - so interpreting which one actually applies to you can be difficult sometimes - the signs often look the same, and all that tells them apart is where the sign is mounted.

And, as posted above, I've also seen street signs that can be difficult to read or where someone may have defaced the sign and put up clearly the wrong speed.

Eventually the software could be trained to recognize all of these odd circumstances and do as good (if not better) as a human driver. Plus if the on board software has access to up-to-date speed limit information (from something like Google, that is updated almost continuously - not the Nav maps, which appear to be at least a year out of date by the time we get the updates), the speed limit database can be a sanity check.

And, then there's the situation where speed limit signs are posted temporarily - such as in construction zones. And those signs may not follow any standards for placement.

While having the software automatically adjust speed based on a change in speed limits seems like a great idea - until they can replicate human recognition, it's probably safer for the software to provide advice on changes, with the driver making the decision - than to automatically apply changes.

Though, still would love to have AP and TACC on my car... Just not ready yet to take the plunge to replace the P85 yet...