Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fan runs at high speed after exiting the car with AC and HVAC off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
H

hcdavis3

My wife comes in the house every day to tell me that the car is”still running” When I go into the garage the fan is running even though I have turned off both AC and HVAC. This after a 12 mile drive with temps in the low 70s. Any thoughts greatly appreciated. Carter

Mine has done the same a few times. No idea why. Some days it's asleep and this past weekend when I was in the garage for a while, the fan was going. I double checked and the car was off and climate was turned off so I'm not sure what it's doing.
Thanks Fast. I’ve done a hard reboot twice but it still does this. I don’t think it’s harmful, but it must contribute in some way to phantom drain.

I’ve read but nit confirmed that it keeps running for a few minutes to clear out the moisture from the AC system. Previously if it didn’t then the HVAC would get smelly. Our Y does it too but not much as we live on the coast of ca and no very hot or humid.
I read that too. But my car’s fan is on for a half hour at least.

My wife comes in the house every day to tell me that the car is”still running” When I go into the garage the fan is running even though I have turned off both AC and HVAC. This after a 12 mile drive with temps in the low 70s. Any thoughts greatly appreciated. Carter

Dumb question ... you are sure its the fan right? There are several things that could cause "fan like" noises (pumps etc) that the car runs when it thinks it needs to. What happens if you manually turn off the heating system?

Have the same problem with my 2017 build. I will come out to the garage and find it running for over an hour. Have let it go for hours just to see what it would do. Never goes off. Even though the app shows it as off. I cycle the app on and then off and then it stops.

No I don't have anything for cabin overheat protection on. And yes it is the fan. Quite experienced with the car.

Tesla says supposed to. I say why... Ambient temp in garage is 60 degrees now. Driven for 25 miles or 100. Same outcome.

Reactions: hcdavis3
Dumb question ... you are sure its the fan right? There are several things that could cause "fan like" noises (pumps etc) that the car runs when it thinks it needs to. What happens if you manually turn off the heating system?
It’s turned off. I always turn AC and HVAC off before exiting the car.

perhaps you should document what you are hearing by taking some sound clips or video and locating the points in the video or sound clip you hear these sounds. then upload to a cloud server of your choice and invite people to hear them and offer their own opinions. make a service appt on the tesla app and link them to the sound clips.

if the car is functioning normally otherwise, perhaps what you are hearing is indeed normal. all anyone can do is speculate off what you are writing here.

if the car is functioning normally otherwise, perhaps what you are hearing is indeed normal. all anyone can do is speculate off what you are writing here.

I don't think the issue is identifying the sound. I have slept in this car for over 3 months. I know each and every sound it makes. From cooling off to the sounds it makes as it prepares to sleep or awake. 70k in miles.

The issue is time running. So after my morning drive this morning I scheduled a service appointment. I called Tesla. They could confirm that my car was indeed having fan run. Even though on my app it shows off. This was 45 minutes after the drive. I continued to let it run. Doing a call back in an hour.

Goal is to not have mobile service out and say could not replicate. Some come here also as a sounding board to see if others have experienced these issues. Those appointments cost $. So far I see 3 others in 2 days. Maybe if we get some more information from others it might help.

Reactions: hcdavis3
I've had this same problem off and on for the past two months. Doesn't matter the length of the drive or temperature - once it happened when I backed the car out of the garage to move something then put the car back in the garage. (it had been in the garage all night) It was 75 degrees out that day... slightly cooler in the garage.

Opening and closing a car door turns the "loud fan" noise off, every time. And it only does it at home, not anywhere else.

I figure a software update will eventually come along and fix it.

Last edited: