Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FAQ: Home Tesla charging infrastructure Q&A

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed that as well about the phone number area code vs. address (Exeter CA). The same address (a residential address) is used by "Discount Solar" (discountpv.com), also with a 385 area code. That site is still up, but I got no answers at either number.

Guess I'll stick with the configuration above and give it a shot. Hope my MX arrives before the end of the month!

Can anyone recommend an alternative to evseadapters.com for a NEMA 6-20P - 5-15R adapter? Had one in my shopping cart from that site for a while, but was waiting on my MX delivery to get scheduled. Now I know the car is in route, but the evseadapters.com site has been down for days.
Just buy the parts from Home Depot and put it together yourself. Buy a 120V 20 amp appliance cord (the one below is a NEMA 5-20 extension cord) and a 6-20P plug. Links below. Cutting off the 5-20 plug, stripping the wires and installing the plug is very easy.

9 ft. 12/3 3-Wire Appliance Cord-YC-2A1/YC-2F4 - The Home Depot
20-Amp 250-Volt Plug-PS5466XCCV4 - The Home Depot

Total $27 + tax and available on the shelf at my local store.

Thanks @TexasEV, that's a correct assessment of what I was going for. Thank you @FlatSix911

If EVSEAdaptors.com doesn't com back online in the next week or two, I'm thinking of the following config instead for my NEMA 6-20 outlet:

UMC w/ Tesla's NEMA 5-20 Adapter ==> customavrack.com's L5-20R-L14-20P adapter ==> customavrack.com's L14-20R-NEMA 6-20P ==> wall/outlet

I realize the UMC 5-20 adapter is for 110/120 volt, but it's the amperage I'm trying to address. From what I've read on the forums, voltage doesn't matter with the Tesla 5-x adapters and with the configuration above, I would not have to dial down the charging amperage every time I plugged in the UMC in my garage.

Would appreciate responses from anyone that's done something similar and had safe, successful charging.
Too many connections. I think just get the UMC 6-15 adapter and charge at 12A at 240V (rather than 16A with the 6-20). The 6-15 will plug into a 6-20 outlet.

Your #3 (or larger) run can terminate in a sub panel in your garage. Then you can have a breaker for your 14-50 and the appropriate wire and receptacle.

Yes, or use a junction box just prior to the 14-50 where you transition from #3 to #4. If you install the HPWC, remove the receptacle and junction box.

Awesome FAQ, @FlasherZ !

My MX is expected to arrive 1st week of September and am preparing for the installation of the Wall Connector, which currently is back-ordered.

Here is what I am thinking in preparation for the install and would appreciate feedback.

• Using the MX's standard 48 amp onboard charger
    • Not opted for the High power amperage charger upgrade
  • Wiring to draw a max of 72 amps
    • Per Load calculations my panel has 93 amps available capacity
    • Future proofing just in case I add the M3 and daisy chain to another Wall connector
  • Will be installing a QO 2-pole 90-Amp Circuit breaker
  • Using #4-2 SER Copper cable about 8' length
    • Not sure how this differs from a Romex #4/2
  • Will be pulling cable inside my garage wall and passing it thru a flexible aluminum conduit
    • Not sure if this is required, but would not hurt to have the conduit
  • Straps to hold the wire/conduit against the studs
  • Clamps to hold the #4/2 cable against the breaker box
  • Terminating the wire in a square metal box
    • Installing this box on, in case I move and replace the Wall connector with a NEMA 14-50 outlet
Recommendation of where to purchase the above supplies also appreciated - Online or Brick/Mortar stores in the DFW, Texas area.

I have a Bosch charger for my Ford Focus. I will only be charging the Tesla once a week. Can I use the Bosch charger or do I have to get a Tesla charger?
Why are you going to charge the Tesla only once a week? READ THE MANUAL. It says to keep it plugged in when possible.
Remember, "a connected Model S is a happy Model S" (and that applies to Model X too).

A connected Model S is a happy Model S

I have a Bosch charger for my Ford Focus. I will only be charging the Tesla once a week. Can I use the Bosch charger or do I have to get a Tesla charger?

While TexasEV is correct, you're not going to do immediate harm to the car by leaving it unplugged for a week at a time. The battery management system in the car maintains the battery pack's temperature by heating and cooling it. This uses electricity. If the car is plugged in while it's sitting in your hot garage, the thermal management will use electricity from your utility company to cool the pack. If it isn't plugged in, the power will come from the battery pack itself. This means you're cycling power through the battery pack more often than necessary, leading to degradation sooner than necessary. The point is that you can protect the longevity of the battery pack by leaving the car plugged in as often as possible. That said, I wouldn't worry about it unless you're leaving the car in a really hot or cold location week after week. It doesn't get hot in Atlanta, right? :)

To answer your question though, you can use your Bosch charging station with your Model X. The car comes with a J1772-to-Tesla adapter. Attach that to the end of the J1772 pistol thing on the Bosch charging cable and plug that into the Model X. It's a little clunky, but not as bad as it sounds. Just be careful not to drop the adapter. It's heavy and mostly plastic and can crack when it hits concrete. Replacement cost is about $100. Using this keeps you from having to do any additional electrical work to your house, but charging will take longer since the Bosch unit is likely only 24 amps on a 30 amp circuit. The charge cable that comes with the Model X supports up to 40 amps, so if you have a dedicated 50 amp circuit run to your garage and you use the Tesla cable that comes with the car, you can charge the Model X in about half the time that it takes using the Bosch unit.

I assume that the Bosch EVSE has a J1772 plug. If so you can use it with the adapter that Tesla supplies and it will work fine. If you expect to charge at J1772 charge stations away from home you will need to remember to take the adapter with you (or buy a second one).

I agree with TexasEV, just leave your car plugged-in at home. You can set a charge level of anywhere from 50% to 90% and it will only charge as needed. I have mine set to 50% because that is plenty for local driving in summer. If you have time of use electrical rates you can set a start time to charge near the beginning of the low rate window and the car will wait until then (unless it is within six hours after the start time). Pretty simple really.

Reactions: Scoopup
While TexasEV is correct, you're not going to do immediate harm to the car by leaving it unplugged for a week at a time. The battery management system in the car maintains the battery pack's temperature by heating and cooling it. This uses electricity. If the car is plugged in while it's sitting in your hot garage, the thermal management will use electricity from your utility company to cool the pack. If it isn't plugged in, the power will come from the battery pack itself. This means you're cycling power through the battery pack more often than necessary, leading to degradation sooner than necessary. The point is that you can protect the longevity of the battery pack by leaving the car plugged in as often as possible. That said, I wouldn't worry about it unless you're leaving the car in a really hot or cold location week after week. It doesn't get hot in Atlanta, right? :)

To answer your question though, you can use your Bosch charging station with your Model X. The car comes with a J1772-to-Tesla adapter. Attach that to the end of the J1772 pistol thing on the Bosch charging cable and plug that into the Model X. It's a little clunky, but not as bad as it sounds. Just be careful not to drop the adapter. It's heavy and mostly plastic and can crack when it hits concrete. Replacement cost is about $100. Using this keeps you from having to do any additional electrical work to your house, but charging will take longer since the Bosch unit is likely only 24 amps on a 30 amp circuit. The charge cable that comes with the Model X supports up to 40 amps, so if you have a dedicated 50 amp circuit run to your garage and you use the Tesla cable that comes with the car, you can charge the Model X in about half the time that it takes using the Bosch unit.

Thank you!! That answered my question. I assumed they had an adapter to use when away from home but didn't know it came with one sweet. My wife's commute is only 4 miles a day so I figured why put in another circuit and wall charger when I could use the Bosch for both. My garage stays around 70 degrees year around so that should be fine. The Focus is driven 60 miles a day and has to be charged daily. My long term plan is when I get the Model 3 is to replace the Bosch with a Tesla charger but that is 2 years away.

Why not leave the car plugged in to a regular 120V wall outlet and not worry about sharing the Bosch EVSE? 4 miles a day is an hour or two of 120V charging. Easy-peasy.
You will use more total kWh from the wall to recharge the same amount of battery if you plug into a 120V wall outlet for more hours. There is charging overhead that becomes a noticeable fraction when the power is as low as what can be delivered from a 120V wall outlet. The second reason you might not want to use 120V charging is TOU electric rates. My electric rates are lowest from 11pm-7am. I always want to charge my cars between those hours. The OP could do that with the existing Bosch charging station, but could not if he used the 120V outlet.

Hi All,
I'm considering doing the installation of the HPWC myself. This is what I have:
1. The Main (200A) and the HPWC (driveway) are on the opposite sides of the house.
2. There is a staight shot from the Main to the HPWC through crawl space, about 35'. I can even go straight through the wall on both sides.
3. To simplify install I'd like to run a cable without conduit, but at the same time have enough ampacity to charge at 80A (100A breaker).

After looking at available cables it seems to me that #3 SER CU cable would work (http://www.homedepot.com/p/Southwire-By-the-Foot-3-3-3-5-Gray-Stranded-CU-SER-Cable-27757499/205001797), since it's not in a conduit or buried. What do you think? Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Igor

The HPWC does not have any extra room inside. Just getting two #3s and a number 8 ground into it is pretty tight. I don't think three #3s and a #5 ground will fit and you don't need the neutral. Southwire says they make a two conductor #3 SER in Cu but I don't know where you would find it. Since it is a straight run why not just put it in conduit? It will be much cheaper.

Since it is a straight run why not just put it in conduit? It will be much cheaper.
Agreed. This seems like the perfect situation to use a conduit-- no bends or complications.

You are correct, of course, I was just trying to avoid running conduit at all, but if there's no other viable cable at a reasonable cost, I'll have to do the conduit.

Thanks for the feedback

You are correct, of course, I was just trying to avoid running conduit at all, but if there's no other viable cable at a reasonable cost, I'll have to do the conduit.

Thanks for the feedback

I used 3-3-3-5 SER cable to go from my main panel to a subpanel (cable was behind drywall), but ran conduit and #3 THHN from the sub-panel to the Wall Connector. Cost was about $3.50 / ft for the conduit and THHN. SER was about $6 / ft but I only needed 6 feet to get to the sub-panel. I would just use conduit for your installation.