Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Faraday Cage for Tesla Remote

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Your sister is actually the sane one there, this one has been exploited in the wild several times, and doesn't require any hardware that doesn't easily fit in a shoulder bag.
The credit card companies have been claiming for years that this is impossible, despite actual exploits in the wild. I haven't been using the faraday cage approach, instead I actually have been breaking the antennas inside the cards to disable the horrible security hole that all credit card companies insist on putting in their cards.

But the card issuers and retailers have all the liability. So I don't think really don't care. I hope I'm not wrong on that!

PS: You have great taste in your model! We are one of the few with this configuration.

Last edited:
But the card issuers and retailers have all the liability. So I don't think really don't care. I hope I'm not wrong on that!
In past instances where this has been exploited in the wild, the card issuers have refused to accept liability for it as they claim it's impossible. They instead claim the victim must have used the card as there is no other way it could have happened. This despite massive evidence and proofs of how this exploit works.

While it's good to be paranoid on this one, from everything I've seen, this isn't an actual real world thing that thieves are doing. There's been lots of hype about it, but there are some things to know:
- they aren't cloning the remotes, that's basically impossible at this point
- the theory is that they extend the range of your remote to unlock the car when you're too far away (like in your house, or at a coffee shop), Although this sounds like it's possible, the truth is that the hardware to do it is quite bulky, would have to be quite near you, and is not guaranteed to work. It would also be easy for the manufacturer to block if it became a problem by simply checking how long it takes the fob to respond (this would add a delay to the interaction). There have been some "proof of concept" level exploits here, but no evidence that it has ever happened in the real world.
The writer of this Gray Lady article claims otherwise. He says that he personally observed a thief using a device that fit in a backpack.

In past instances where this has been exploited in the wild, the card issuers have refused to accept liability for it as they claim it's impossible. They instead claim the victim must have used the card as there is no other way it could have happened. This despite massive evidence and proofs of how this exploit works.
Maybe in Canada, I don't see this sticking in the US.

"Actually, I must have lost my card for those 5 seconds, and since I have $0 liability, you can go **** yourselves."

The writer of this Gray Lady article claims otherwise. He says that he personally observed a thief using a device that fit in a backpack.
He can claim what he wants, but reading that anecdote doesn't really convince me. It's just not written in a way that I believe, for a multitude of reasons, including the shear volume of events he's reporting to him and his neighbours, the lack of corroborating evidence, and even the description of how it was used. It just doesn't ring true.