Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Faraday Cage for Tesla Remote

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep I'll bet this one get's a little attention just because of the subject...but every morning whilst heading to my truck (waiting for the Telsa truck!) I pass our Model S. The car activates and winks (wife calls the lights flashing) at me getting ready for the ride. Sadly I get into my truck. But then I started to wonder if years down the road would this cause unnecessary wear and tear on the handle motors, systems etc. Yep OCD brain kicking in high hear. Simple solution Altoids mint tin. Cheap Faraday Cage for the remote...would it work? Tried it this morning and I didn't get the Tesla tease to drive me. So far so good.

Attachments

• Faraday.jpg
    Faraday.jpg
    647.5 KB · Views: 206
I always carry my fob, and if I happen to walk by the car, it unlocks, presents. and so what. As I pass, it pulls in the handles and relocks. It doesn't bother me that it says, "I'm ready!" whenever I wander near. I think it would be a lot more bother to have to pull out a box, or unwrap the fob for when I wanted something out of the car. It's also a bother to think of needing to open the car, and the fob's somewhere in the house.

I always carry my fob, and if I happen to walk by the car, it unlocks, presents. and so what. As I pass, it pulls in the handles and relocks. It doesn't bother me that it says, "I'm ready!" whenever I wander near. I think it would be a lot more bother to have to pull out a box, or unwrap the fob for when I wanted something out of the car. It's also a bother to think of needing to open the car, and the fob's somewhere in the house.
As I eluded to in my statement other than the OCD one...I worry about the long-term usage of unnecessary mechanics being deployed when I do not intend to drive the Tesla. Really not that big of a deal either way...as it solved my issue and/or non-issue depending on how you look at it. I'm not going to drive and I carry the fob with me. Simple fix for an unnecessary problem- foil hat or otherwise.

Now that robbers have these crazy scanning devices that can clone our remotes, this is becoming more of an issue.
While it's good to be paranoid on this one, from everything I've seen, this isn't an actual real world thing that thieves are doing. There's been lots of hype about it, but there are some things to know:
- they aren't cloning the remotes, that's basically impossible at this point
- the theory is that they extend the range of your remote to unlock the car when you're too far away (like in your house, or at a coffee shop), Although this sounds like it's possible, the truth is that the hardware to do it is quite bulky, would have to be quite near you, and is not guaranteed to work. It would also be easy for the manufacturer to block if it became a problem by simply checking how long it takes the fob to respond (this would add a delay to the interaction). There have been some "proof of concept" level exploits here, but no evidence that it has ever happened in the real world.

While it's good to be paranoid on this one, from everything I've seen, this isn't an actual real world thing that thieves are doing. There's been lots of hype about it, but there are some things to know:
- they aren't cloning the remotes, that's basically impossible at this point
- the theory is that they extend the range of your remote to unlock the car when you're too far away (like in your house, or at a coffee shop), Although this sounds like it's possible, the truth is that the hardware to do it is quite bulky, would have to be quite near you, and is not guaranteed to work. It would also be easy for the manufacturer to block if it became a problem by simply checking how long it takes the fob to respond (this would add a delay to the interaction). There have been some "proof of concept" level exploits here, but no evidence that it has ever happened in the real world.
Thanks for that. I don't live in an area that I need to worry about it. But I pretty much expect that the bad guys will always find a way to thwart any security feature that is invented. I think they take it as a challenge. And probably a fun one at that. My sister is so paranoid that she puts all her credit cards in those ridiculous aluminum sleeves and then has a hell of a time trying to get them out and back in. I tell her not to worry about it. We are all already protected by law. So she has nothing to lose.

I hate the fact that we Americans have built such a culture of fear about pretty much everything. I just live my life and ignore most of it. The only one i really take to heart is the sheer number of idiot drivers doing stupid things.

Reactions: Cyclone
My sister is so paranoid that she puts all her credit cards in those ridiculous aluminum sleeves and then has a hell of a time trying to get them out and back in.

I took the middle ground: I got a lined wallet, so cards are protected without fussing with the PITA sleeves. Since I needed a new wallet anyway, and I liked the style and price both, it was an easy decision.

Thanks for that. I don't live in an area that I need to worry about it. But I pretty much expect that the bad guys will always find a way to thwart any security feature that is invented. I think they take it as a challenge. And probably a fun one at that. My sister is so paranoid that she puts all her credit cards in those ridiculous aluminum sleeves and then has a hell of a time trying to get them out and back in. I tell her not to worry about it. We are all already protected by law. So she has nothing to lose.

I hate the fact that we Americans have built such a culture of fear about pretty much everything. I just live my life and ignore most of it. The only one i really take to heart is the sheer number of idiot drivers doing stupid things.
Your sister is actually the sane one there, this one has been exploited in the wild several times, and doesn't require any hardware that doesn't easily fit in a shoulder bag.
The credit card companies have been claiming for years that this is impossible, despite actual exploits in the wild. I haven't been using the faraday cage approach, instead I actually have been breaking the antennas inside the cards to disable the horrible security hole that all credit card companies insist on putting in their cards.