Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Farewell Model X and Hello Lincoln Navigator

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes! This is EXACTLY my point--what kind of world do we live in when 300HP for the average Navigator driver is not plenty? Ford should have delivered the 2018 model with 300HP and, say, 26 MPG. Instead, they made our trips to the mall even more over the top excessive.
I also see it has a 24gallon tank. Major fail there. Put the extended 36g tank on those to get 650miles on the highway.

The Model X isn't exactly a soccer mom car, and it's no substitute for a Honda Odyssey. Tesla builds cars with the enthusiast in mind, and it's not for everybody or every occasion, just as the case with many other cars in this price range.
WRONG! Well, not soccer, but tennis/golf/swim mom here. OMG! I love my X for kid hauling and space. It has way more than my extended navigator had. I get to look cool again - NO MINIVAN; NO GAS GUZZLING SUV!!!

As a family that travels often I can certainly understand not wanting 2 electric vehicles. Good luck with the Navigator, I have been looking at one to replace my aging MB GL450 and the new resign finally brought the Navigator to the 20th century..
Timing is about right for Ford, but who wants to stay in that century?

With respect to the Lincoln Navigator, it's consistently rated among SUVs with the worst depreciation, for a reason.

I suspect most $50k+ new ICE cars/SUVs bought today will have much worse depreciation in the years ahead then they had in the past as the world is finally starting to shift away from the smelly substances bought from unstable regimes (yes, oil tycoons in the US are also part of that IMO). Just imagine that Navigator beast at a used car lot a few years from now, (still without over the air updates, I assume?).

I think some folks are way too fascinated with those buttons from the past century that they miss the forest for the trees. I drove my Model S two times from CO to FL with a 6-7 year old and it was nothing but fun for both of us. We just chewed a bit slower at cafes while supercharging and added more camping spots while trying to pass Texas, even camped in New Orleans while charging overnight (before Tesla had the superchargers there):

My boy still cannot stop talking about EV's and how convenient and cool they are--if we were in a Navigator I guess we could be doing math about the gas costs and mpg at 75 mph--instead we were looking at the neat graphs showing watts per mile. Did the OP also think about the message that they are imposing on the kids with that kind of a SUV choice?

Lastly, I remember how nasty and smelly it is to preheat an ICE car in the winter, while it is in the garage (even with the garage door open and the app)--talking about feeling sick even before the ride.

If all of those "lost Navigator" people could just come together for the last push and buy all of the Navigators, so that we could short the Ford and reinvest into TSLA--that would be awesome.

Last edited:
Not totally surprised by the subject of this post. The Model X isn't exactly a soccer mom car, and it's no substitute for a Honda Odyssey. Tesla builds cars with the enthusiast in mind, and it's not for everybody or every occasion, just as the case with many other cars in this price range.
With respect to the Lincoln Navigator, it's consistently rated among SUVs with the worst depreciation, for a reason.

There is also a reason why the Navigator is not a world market vehicle. It simply wouldn't sell in Europe for all sorts of sound reasons!
Before the X hit the market I point blank refused to buy any large ICE SUV family car for environmental reasons. So we always made do with a more compact car, which was difficult at times. Now, thanks to Tesla, we have a nice spacious (well it is in Europe anyway!) and powerful 7 seater that doesn't guzzle any gas at all and can be charged from renewables at home. Makes our other small diesel car look pathetic alongside and I can't wait to replace it with a Model 3.

Reactions: gavine
I think you should leave someone's kids out of this.
I think "someone's kids" are already in it and will be smelling it for years to come. I moved from a 3rd world country and as a child was exposed to a lot of diesel and gas busses and that irreparable damage is to stay with me for the rest of my life as I became way too sensitive to those smells. Any time we are behind one of those Ford or other diesel or even gas trucks my kids and I are starting to feel sick, so I make it point to always try to avoid following those. When I see someone voluntary ditching their perfectly fine Model X in favor of the stinker--well that's disheartening to say the least--talking about more money then brains, but their and our kids will have to "pay for it" in the long run.

I could not influence the supply of the stink (oil) from my former regimes and I know that I cannot influence the demand mostly coming from the US either, because people make their car buying decision based on "buttons" and "stitching," but over the years I have given probably 20-30 free rides in my Models S and countless speeches about all the advantages of the EV's--thank god I am not alone and this is a community effort, otherwise it would be pointless.

Everyone should have noticed by now that we entered a new realm where we as consumers are essentially voting with our dollars, so if someone is getting a new navigator the bailed out Ford and the oil tycoons are booking the profit for the years to come (navigator maintenance, parts, repairs, gas, etc).

I think "someone's kids" are already in it and will be smelling it for years to come. I moved from a 3rd world country and as a child was exposed to a lot of diesel and gas busses and that irreparable damage is to stay with me for the rest of my life as I became way too sensitive to those smells. Any time we are behind one of those Ford or other diesel or even gas trucks my kids and I are starting to feel sick, so I make it point to always try to avoid following those. When I see someone voluntary ditching their perfectly fine Model X in favor of the stinker--well that's disheartening to say the least--talking about more money then brains, but their and our kids will have to "pay for it" in the long run.

I could not influence the supply of the stink (oil) from my former regimes and I know that I cannot influence the demand mostly coming from the US either, because people make their car buying decision based on "buttons" and "stitching," but over the years I have given probably 20-30 free rides in my Models S and countless speeches about all the advantages of the EV's--thank god I am not alone and this is a community effort, otherwise it would be pointless.

Everyone should have noticed by now that we entered a new realm where we as consumers are essentially voting with our dollars, so if someone is getting a new navigator the bailed out Ford and the oil tycoons are booking the profit for the years to come (navigator maintenance, parts, repairs, gas, etc).
This might seem crazy, but some people make good use of trucks and larger vehicles.
I'm ready to plunk down a deposit on a potential Tesla pickup truck... but they are making another small suv and a souped up
sports car for millionaires first.

Give me some options here. I'm a DIY type who makes it a point to use the truck to do things that equal the cost of gas for the year.
People here think I'm a hater/non buyer etc, Offer me a durable, capable, pickup truck at a reasonable price and I'll get in line.

This might seem crazy, but some people make good use of trucks and larger vehicles.
I'm ready to plunk down a deposit on a potential Tesla pickup truck... but they are making another small suv and a souped up

Give me some options here. I'm a DIY type who makes it a point to use the truck to do things that equal the cost of gas for the year.
People here think I'm a hater/non buyer etc, Offer me a durable, capable, pickup truck at a reasonable price and I'll get in line.

I actually hope Tesla doesn't make a pickup truck. Last thing I want is something high up that's a PITA to get into, makes it easier to rub my seats raw, increases aero drag, and handles worse. I'm getting by with the X and a trailer but I would love if they made a Sport Ute. Something that drives like a sporty car with the payload, towing, bed, hauling capacity of a truck. I'd put a $1000 deposit on that today.

Like you, I'm also ready for an electric pickup truck. I used my Colorado for hauling all kinds of gardening stuff, and would love to be able to do it gasoline-free. Well at least my commuter car is.

Reactions: Barklikeadog

This might seam crazy, but most people (probably not including you) actually drive trucks and SUVs even though they don't REALLY need them: soccer moms, soccer dads, etc. Someone I knew commuted in his F-350 diesel truck from Palm Coast, FL to Orlando, about 150 miles/day--he worked as a registered nurse at the hospital, just had a boat that he needed to tow about 4 times a year--pathetic.
Another old friend of mine is commuting in a VW Touareg for the past few years, also because he has a boat that he tows a few times a year, while he has another business tow vehicle. He drove my Tesla for almost a thousand miles, loved it, and somehow still ended up buying a used POS from the past century just because it was $5-7K cheaper then a used Tesla. He is facing massive depreciation and fuel/repair costs as we speak, while still shopping for a used Tesla all these years.

As far as "Give me some options here.":
I always had rentals and kind of needed a truck for all the appliances, furniture, etc deliveries, yet for the past 10 years I drove much nicer vehicles that can simply tow a utility trailer. My latest ICE setup was a VW Jetta Wagon TDI (got hocked by the Dieselgate lies) with a $1,500 nice aluminum 4x8 open trailer--same as truck except that you don't have to carry that "bed" all that time and it was much nicer to load / unload the appliances, while still getting 35-40 mpg.
Also had 2 Subaru Outbacks.
The one before was Infinity FX (a gas guzzler), again with a hitch, trailer, and a T@B camper. I later sold the aluminum trailer for like $1,200--very small depreciation in like 8 years.
You could even have a small enclosed trailer with any of the station wagons, or the used Model X with a smaller battery that you can plugin and charge while your're working, even if it's 120V.
There are always options, my friend. Carrying a truck bed with you at all times at 15mpg is a very poor option no mutter how you slice it, unless you actually use that truck bed more then 50% of the time.

I myself have decided to switch to a Model X from S, because it tows, fits more stuff inside, and I can finally have a hitch for bikes, snowboarding, etc, but I am fully aware of the 10-20% penalty for the cost and electricity, but I am also miles apart from a truck and I will never buy another ICE vehicle ever.

Attachments

• IMG_0002.JPG
    IMG_0002.JPG
    465.1 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: skitown
This might seam crazy, but most people (probably not including you) actually drive trucks and SUVs even though they don't REALLY need them: soccer moms, soccer dads, etc. Someone I knew commuted in his F-350 diesel truck from Palm Coast, FL to Orlando, about 150 miles/day--he worked as a registered nurse at the hospital, just had a boat that he needed to tow about 4 times a year--pathetic.

monster trucks like that are ridiculous. I see a lot of them every time I'm in jersey of all places. this is a high agi area.... and teenage boys drive... raptors! That seems to be the rich kid toy lately.

Another old friend of mine is commuting in a VW Touareg for the past few years, also because he has a boat that he tows a few times a year, while he has another business tow vehicle. He drove my Tesla for almost a thousand miles, loved it, and somehow still ended up buying a used POS from the past century just because it was $5-7K cheaper then a used Tesla. He is facing massive depreciation and fuel/repair costs as we speak, while still shopping for a used Tesla all these years.

As far as "Give me some options here.":
I always had rentals and kind of needed a truck for all the appliances, furniture, etc deliveries, yet for the past 10 years I drove much nicer vehicles that can simply tow a utility trailer. My latest ICE setup was a VW Jetta Wagon TDI (got hocked by the Dieselgate lies) with a $1,500 nice aluminum 4x8 open trailer--same as truck except that you don't have to carry that "bed" all that time and it was much nicer to load / unload the appliances, while still getting 35-40 mpg.
Also had 2 Subaru Outbacks.
The one before was Infinity FX (a gas guzzler), again with a hitch, trailer, and a T@B camper. I later sold the aluminum trailer for like $1,200--very small depreciation in like 8 years.
You could even have a small enclosed trailer with any of the station wagons, or the used Model X with a smaller battery that you can plugin and charge while your're working, even if it's 120V.
There are always options, my friend. Carrying a truck bed with you at all times at 15mpg is a very poor option no mutter how you slice it, unless you actually use that truck bed more then 50% of the time.

I myself have decided to switch to a Model X from S, because it tows, fits more stuff inside, and I can finally have a hitch for bikes, snowboarding, etc, but I am fully aware of the 10-20% penalty for the cost and electricity, but I am also miles apart from a truck and I will never buy another ICE vehicle ever.

I use my truck for hauling. I ride two wheels when I am not using my truck. I wish Tesla made a Sprinter/Transit - I would convert my company vehicles to EVs immediately. My main company vehicles rack up 50,000 a year.