Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Farewell Model X and Hello Lincoln Navigator

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As a family that travels often I can certainly understand not wanting 2 electric vehicles. Good luck with the Navigator, I have been looking at one to replace my aging MB GL450 and the new resign finally brought the Navigator to the 20th century..

Too bad Tesla abandoned battery swapping. Would have been much more convenient than SuperCharging and would have opened up a massive market of EV owners (those who can't charge at home).

China knows a good idea (NIO).

This is interesting to me. From what I've read on here and in general about the Model X, it is supposed to be very road quiet. This is the first time I've seen someone on here talk about how noisy it is... I see you have an older 90d. Is it possible that newer builds have addressed this?
that's correct, the newer builds are significantly quieter, but still louder than any Lexus i've owned...

i think that double pane glass would be what would ultimately change my mind.

OP, did you happen to consider the Volvo XC90 T8 (plug-in Hybrid) by any chance. I'm pretty sure the Navigator is larger of course, but just wondering as the XC90 is well-reviewed and would likely get pretty solid mpgs (especially for short jaunts).

that's correct, the newer builds are significantly quieter, but still louder than any Lexus i've owned...

Yeah. I have a Dec 2017 MX and it is not quiet. We don't notice it usually because we have the music very loud, but when the stereo is off, you can hear everything.

As for car sickness, the MX does cause more car sickness than most other SUV. It is not just the acceleration. It is the weight of the car and the instant torque and the suspension all combine. My mom has to wear her motion sickness reliefband when she rides with us. She didn't have to use it when we had the BMW X5.

OP, did you happen to consider the Volvo XC90 T8 (plug-in Hybrid) by any chance. I'm pretty sure the Navigator is larger of course, but just wondering as the XC90 is well-reviewed and would likely get pretty solid mpgs (especially for short jaunts).
They certainly are nice, I had the pleasure of test driving one a couple years ago while looking for a vehicle for my significant other.

Yeah. I have a Dec 2017 MX and it is not quiet. We don't notice it usually because we have the music very loud, but when the stereo is off, you can hear everything.

As for car sickness, the MX does cause more car sickness than most other SUV. It is not just the acceleration. It is the weight of the car and the instant torque and the suspension all combine. My mom has to wear her motion sickness reliefband when she rides with us. She didn't have to use it when we had the BMW X5.
I don’t get it though. What does the weight of the car have to do with it? If you take a turn too quickly, it most definitely has body roll. However, if you drive like a granny, isn’t it fine? Totally agree on acceleration though. I gave my wife motion sickness when I took the model S for the test drive. I’m going to have to baby it when she’s in the car no doubt :/

When you mention suspension, are you referring to the level of suspension? Do you keep the ride height high and change the driving mode to chill? Just curious.

My 3 and 5 year old love excessive acceleration though. So I can floor it when they’re in the car.

• Funny
Reactions: Mrcook4590
I don’t get it though. What does the weight of the car have to do with it? If you take a turn too quickly, it most definitely has body roll. However, if you drive like a granny, isn’t it fine? Totally agree on acceleration though. I gave my wife motion sickness when I took the model S for the test drive. I’m going to have to baby it when she’s in the car no doubt :/

When you mention suspension, are you referring to the level of suspension? Do you keep the ride height high and change the driving mode to chill? Just curious.

My 3 and 5 year old love excessive acceleration though. So I can floor it when they’re in the car.

You can feel the weight (momentum) of the car when it moves and when it change lanes. Even when you drive slow, it is there. In general, German car is heavier than Japanese car and Model X is heavier than all of them. My wife told me I drive like an old man, but I kind of do. It helps but my mom worst than me in motion sickness. She carries with her the Reliefband all the time just in case. And for suspension, it is how stiff it is and how much bumps you feel on the road. You see I don't fee car sick when I drive. And I always drive, so it is hard for me to explain. Good thing my kid did not get it from me. He could read in the car. If my mom or I read for more than a minute in a moving car, we will need a bucket or 2 buckets.

You can feel the weight (momentum) of the car when it moves and when it change lanes. Even when you drive slow, it is there. In general, German car is heavier than Japanese car and Model X is heavier than all of them. My wife told me I drive like an old man, but I kind of do. It helps but my mom worst than me in motion sickness. She carries with her the Reliefband all the time just in case. And for suspension, it is how stiff it is and how much bumps you feel on the road. You see I don't fee car sick when I drive. And I always drive, so it is hard for me to explain. Good thing my kid did not get it from me. He could read in the car. If my mom or I read for more than a minute in a moving car, we will need a bucket or 2 buckets.
Thanks for clarification. Sounds like you have some, unfortunately, really sensitive people in the car :( Fingers crossed my wife isn't one of them.

I think the motion sickness is probably coming from the vertical body heave you get over undulations in the road. Both S and X have this trait due to their high weight and damping. It doesn't bother me or my family, but I've heard it mentioned by several reviewers. The general ride is a little on the stiff side too, but not too bad unless on really bad roads when it can get quite crashy at times. It doesn't pitch or roll excessively either, but that vertical heave is definitely obvious when you go over a crest or on gently undulating roads at speed.

My wife is very prone to motion sickness. My fear is the model X would cause it so she could not ride with me. :-( Especially since our daily commute is through a 3 mile long canyon.

G.

My wife is very prone to motion sickness. My fear is the model X would cause it so she could not ride with me. :-( Especially since our daily commute is through a 3 mile long canyon.

G.

Easy solution... let her drive! LOL. Seriously, most people who get motion sickness don't get sick when they are driving (in some control of the motion). Front seat helps too because you could pretend you are driving. Ever watched the movie "Woman on Top"? :p

If that doesn't work, you could get this for her:
https://www.amazon.com/NEW-Reliefband-Motion-Morning-Sickness/dp/B00PG4NUOS/

I have one for 20 years. Works like magic.. at least to me. The ones that does not have battery just pushes against the pressure point does nothing for me.

This might be hard to believe but the technology to reduce emissions of all kinds is in a continuous state of improvement. The Navigator is a good example.

Compare Side-by-Side

On the old SAE spec the 2000 Navigator was 300HP and ran on premium getting 13 mpg combined.
On the tighter SAE spec the 2018 Navigator is 450HP and runs on regular getting 18 mpg combined.

Yes! This is EXACTLY my point--what kind of world do we live in when 300HP for the average Navigator driver is not plenty? Ford should have delivered the 2018 model with 300HP and, say, 26 MPG. Instead, they made our trips to the mall even more over the top excessive.

Reactions: Terthen
Not totally surprised by the subject of this post. The Model X isn't exactly a soccer mom car, and it's no substitute for a Honda Odyssey. Tesla builds cars with the enthusiast in mind, and it's not for everybody or every occasion, just as the case with many other cars in this price range.
With respect to the Lincoln Navigator, it's consistently rated among SUVs with the worst depreciation, for a reason.