Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fastrak Flex Toll Tag - Mount / Location ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t want to go digging for my candy bar transponder, so I have it taped on top of the dashboard, but behind the screen so I don’t see it. I have it set to 3 as the instructions indicated. When I take the Bay Bridge during rush hour, I use the bus lane, as I was told to do, and save lots of time, and money, as we qualify for the discounted rate, at least while my stickers are current.

Where is that policy stated? Because I haven't had anyone at Fastrak bring it up to me.

I'm not talking about Fastrak, I'm talking about the toll authority here where I live.

https://www.myncquickpass.com/vector/account/signup/pAccountSignUp.do

Any ACCOUNT in excess of 15% of postings via license plate identification per month will be charged a fee of five dollars ($5.00) for each month this occurs.

The transmitters are the same thing though (including some even having an HOV switch- and there also being an optional window sticker).

No, but a packet of adhesive Velco strips at your local convenience or hardware store can accomplish the same - without the big black bar around it.

I'm impressed by 3D printer technology, but sometimes the attempted commercial results are really beyond the pale.

Except that in the pounding sun, my velcro strips pulled off my window. And the clip is available in white, which blends better. And it looks like you can just slip it in place and slip it out whenever you want, so if you don't need the Fastrak all that often, you can stow it somewhere when you don't need it. And as opposed to just putting it on the dash when you do need it, it won't slide off when you forget about it and accelerate ... which my pea brain does almost every single time!

I tried the Tesla recommended spot, to the right of the rearview mirror and the SB 680 and Bay Bridge sensors did not pick up the signal (smaller FasTrak flex/candybar). I moved it to the roof behind my head -- works like a charm every time and bonus I never see it!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/YaMDytS7TTCtjgq6A
Is this roof mount still working? I have a very low percentage success rate from any location I have tried on 680 express lanes. I have the CAV FastTrak too, so it does not beep and I have to wait a couple of days to see if worked. Slightly better with the bridges. I think the lower the speed the better it works, maybe nothing over 20 mph seems to trigger. I commute 680, so it is a pain to contest all the express lane tolls. I have tried multiple front window locations, no better luck with any.

Reactions: focher
Is this roof mount still working? I have a very low percentage success rate from any location I have tried on 680 express lanes. I have the CAV FastTrak too, so it does not beep and I have to wait a couple of days to see if worked. Slightly better with the bridges. I think the lower the speed the better it works, maybe nothing over 20 mph seems to trigger. I commute 680, so it is a pain to contest all the express lane tolls. I have tried multiple front window locations, no better luck with any.
I just moved mine today to the roof, immediately in front of the middle cross beam (behind driver and in front of rear seats). As you point out, it takes days to figure out if a new location works.

If you happen to use the front license plate, there is an external transponder option but no idea if it works for HOV / Flex lanes. I can't use it as I use the DMV "decal" for the front license plate and therefore have no frame to mount a transponder to.

Yes, since I moved the transponder to that spot I have had no issues with either the Bay Bridge or the 680 express lanes (at least between Walnut Creek and San Ramon). Just checked my FasTrak history to be sure and everything looks correct.

No, but a packet of adhesive Velco strips at your local convenience or hardware store can accomplish the same - without the big black bar around it.

I'm impressed by 3D printer technology, but sometimes the attempted commercial results are really beyond the pale.

The velcro strips from the hardware store get soft and come off with the weight of the transponder in the summer. Been there, done that. Best to use one of the transponder adhesive kits available on Amazon.

@focher @Stomsf Just checking in on your success with your transponder placement location. I have the same 680 commute and the same problems as you used to have. Are you having 100% success with the location placement discussed above along the 6830 corridor? And what product did you end up using to mount it next to the overhead beam: adhesive, ottosteer flex clip, or other?

@focher @Stomsf Just checking in on your success with your transponder placement location. I have the same 680 commute and the same problems as you used to have. Are you having 100% success with the location placement discussed above along the 6830 corridor? And what product did you end up using to mount it next to the overhead beam: adhesive, ottosteer flex clip, or other?
I've had almost 100% success. I did get 2 missed detections in February, but as I make the drive daily these are an exception to the daily tolls I was being charged.

I used the velcro strips that came with the FlexPass to mount it to the roof glass.

I recommend to check your monthly statement, just in case.

@burnbrighter Also had pretty much 100% success since moving it up to the overhead beam. I do check my bill to make sure but since I've moved it I haven't had missed tolls nor have I gotten charged for the express lane. I just used the existing Velcro adhesive that came with the transponder; if it fails I may look into the ottosteer flex clip.

• Helpful
Reactions: focher
Out of curiosity, have any of you tried to use the span of glass roof above the driver--specifically from the front beam at the mirror mount back to the center cross beam (not all the way back to the beam itself)? Only reason I am asking is that theoretically the transponder is supposed to be able to be seen by the cameras and LEO through your windshield to confirm, and if it is placed pretty far back, it won't be visible.

I can tell you that the on my 2018 build Model 3, the new CAV 'candy bar' style transponder (needed for 680 lanes) does not record/read for me at all when installed horizontally to the right of the insider rear view mirror, which was the exact spot where I had the prior 3 position switch model 'candy bar' HOV/carpool FasTrak (which worked fine-and beeped).

Out of curiosity, have any of you tried to use the span of glass roof above the driver--specifically from the front beam at the mirror mount back to the center cross beam (not all the way back to the beam itself)? Only reason I am asking is that theoretically the transponder is supposed to be able to be seen by the cameras and LEO through your windshield to confirm, and if it is placed pretty far back, it won't be visible.

I can tell you that the on my 2018 build Model 3, the new CAV 'candy bar' style transponder (needed for 680 lanes) does not record/read for me at all when installed horizontally to the right of the insider rear view mirror, which was the exact spot where I had the prior 3 position switch model 'candy bar' HOV/carpool FasTrak (which worked fine-and beeped).

Did you ever find a good spot for the CAV tag? My new CAV tag is not working in the old spot either.