Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fat Man in a Model 3 / Passenger Side Legroom

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a big guy, 6'4" and 375. I've tried to watch various videos of tall and bigger people in the Model 3, but just wondering if anyone has any real world experience. I had a 200X Pontiac GTO, which seems similar in external size to the Model 3. I didn't have any problems in it except headroom, and the Model 3 seems to have more headroom than it did. Yeah, I need to lose some weight, but rough couple of years, so just wondering if I would fit comfortabily.

Also, a lot of ICE vehicles have a lot less legroom on the passenger side than they do on the driver side. Is this true in the Model 3 also, or are they pretty equal?

Thanks for you help.

I’m also 6ft 4in. You should be good. It is a little low which could pose a challenge to get into if your tall and on the heavy side (squatting pretty deep to come down from 6+ ft). Should be similar to your Pontiac in that regard tho. Once in, no problem. Plenty of room on both sides, there is no difference.

I even have normal size adult people sit behind me while driving. It is surprisingly roomy inside.

Pull the trigger!

I’m 6’2 390 pounds. I have a M3. I absolutely love it. I have plenty of room. Seat not completely back but pretty close. It’s not horrible to get in and out but because it’s a low car, it’s harder than my previous cars. (Nissan Altimas) but I am very pleased with the comfort. Been on a few day trips and didn’t feel sore or anything. I have no issues with headroom either.

Another big fat guy checking in here, just be ready to "fold" a bit getting in and out and you'll be fine, no issues with legroom, headroom, or seat comfort. I actually moved my seat back up to get a little more "upright" position. Plenty of room.

There is actually more headroom than there was in my Frontier Pickup. I sit VERY tall (I sit next to a friend who is 6 ft 4, and my head is above his, but I don't gain in height when I stand - 26" inseam), and once you are in, due to the roof, plenty of room. I'm also a big fat guy, and I have no problems

Your comfort also depends on where your height is. All my height is in my legs and a lot of cars don't have enough legroom for me. I have an S, but I've sat in the front and back on a Model 3. I wouldn't want to ride a long time in the back, but both front seats were fine for me.

A lot of taller people with a lot of height in the torso have trouble with headroom in the S, but the 3 is a little better for headroom. I've never had a problem with headroom in my S.

Not sure if you're still looking - but chiming in here from the Extra Long Torso Club (31.5" Inseam / 6'5")

Not even close. Seriously wish I had a video of it. Was crunched in there and uncomfortable. Just my personal experience. I was sad too - because I had heard all the "tall people hype" about fitment. Very disappointing.

Went with a used MX, which barely has enough headroom.

(FWIW - you have to get it just right so that your knee isn't banging into the center display, and your head isn't far enough back to brush against the felt of the headliner where it meets the windshield.)

I recommend that you try and find a Model 3 owner near you who will let you try out their car, since you live a long way from the Tesla Showrooms in Dallas or Kansas City. Try posting in the Texas and the Midwest forums here on TMC. I suspect there are Model 3 owners in the Oklahoma City area. (Note: you are also a long way from any Tesla Service Centers. Just like other cars, Tesla vehicles are not perfect and you probably will need issues addressed during the time you own a Tesla, and Tesla Mobile Service can only handle some issues, not all).
I'm a big guy, 6'4" and 375. I've tried to watch various videos of tall and bigger people in the Model 3, but just wondering if anyone has any real world experience. I had a 200X Pontiac GTO, which seems similar in external size to the Model 3. I didn't have any problems in it except headroom, and the Model 3 seems to have more headroom than it did. Yeah, I need to lose some weight, but rough couple of years, so just wondering if I would fit comfortabily.

Also, a lot of ICE vehicles have a lot less legroom on the passenger side than they do on the driver side. Is this true in the Model 3 also, or are they pretty equal?

Thanks for you help.

Not sure if you're still looking - but chiming in here from the Extra Long Torso Club (31.5" Inseam / 6'5")

Not even close. Seriously wish I had a video of it. Was crunched in there and uncomfortable. Just my personal experience. I was sad too - because I had heard all the "tall people hype" about fitment. Very disappointing.

Went with a used MX, which barely has enough headroom.

(FWIW - you have to get it just right so that your knee isn't banging into the center display, and your head isn't far enough back to brush against the felt of the headliner where it meets the windshield.)

Was going to chime in with this -- I'm not a fat guy, 5,10" 190, but my right knee constantly hits the lower left portion of the center display.

Probably worth mentioning that the AWD premium interior version Model 3s have an adjustable steering wheel. Sometimes being able to move the steering wheel further away or up more from your legs (when getting in or exiting the car) can make a difference. You can set it in your regular profile and add an Exit profile to the list to make entry and exit easier too.

My SR+ has the same adjustable steering wheel. Am I missing something?

The Manual refers to only the Premium package having this level of adjustability and I know someone else who was on the large size said his car didn’t and he wish he did because it would make getting in and out easier for him (see manual page below). Is Tesla supplying the same steering wheel with full adjustments to everyone now?

3D0D2FEF-D713-4CDE-8D30-7FDBC3D2536C.jpeg