Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Feature comparison: 2020 Model S Long Range vs Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

bonded

Jan 26, 2020
LA
Hi TMCers, thanks for all of the info. I started reading this site weeks ago as I researched buying a CPO P90DL or P100DL, and by now, I have just about talking myself into buying a new Model S instead. I am generally a "performance" car buyer, but I have 3 ICE sports cars already (although none are as quick as a P100DL in a straight line, obviously) and I mostly want a Model S for commuting and driving around town and in traffic, so I don't necessarily need to spend $20k more for a Performance model to enjoy owning a Model S.

So, if I opt for an $80k LR instead of a $100k Performance - what features am I giving up other than the acceleration and the couple of things the Tesla website mentions, like the CF spoiler? Interior, brakes, suspension different? Both seem to have subzero weather? Are ventilated seats currently available?

Thanks in advance!

I am also interested in the answer to this question. Aside from the acceleration specs, there seems to be little difference between LR and P. As someone who does not feel an urgent need to win drag races, I'm leaning strongly towards LR.

Also, I'm a little about why the LR actually has longer rated range. I do like me a bit more range, but I've never heard an explanation of what makes it more efficient.

The performance model does offer Carbon Fiber trim as an option for interior. Not worth 20k, but worth mentioning. I have the standard range and just spent $1100 via eBay on real carbon fiber trim and will be installing it myself in the next couple of weeks.

You also get red brake calipers and a carbon fiber spoiler. You can add all of this for significantly less than 20k aftermarket. The only thing you can’t add is Ludicrous mode and you are sacrificing range.

The adaptive suspension on both the LR (formerly 100D) and Performance (formerly P100D) are identical.

The diff is in the rear motor for the P version.

Some P models also came with perforated seats but they were a short lived feature off and on a few times.

Other than the interior colour palette, spoiler and ridiculously stupid fast acceleration vs just ridiculous fast, and less range..not much else for 20k.

The LR has shown to get 3.5-3.6s 0-60 times anyway which is quite respectable.

Reactions: bhzmark
I bought a performance model with no regrets. I love it. There’s nothing like the off the line acceleration. I get a smile on my face every time I drive. Drive the long range and performance back to back and you’ll find out for yourself.

I just was offered a 2019 X performance model demo with 3k miles from Tesla for $20k off. After some research, it's clear the P models command a lot more on the resale market so I went with it. I seriously doubt I will ever use ludicrous mode.

I was in the same dilemma you are, I am a sports car guy have drag raced most of my life and like having the fastest vehicle I can afford. Now with that being said I seriously considered a model three performance due to price and what you get for that price. But after realizing that there’s no way I’m going to relegate myself to the constituency of all these jack ass commuters in model 3s with their carpool stickers crooked on the bumpers I didn’t wanna be part of that crowd and had to stick with my gut And go with the Premier model. After deciding that I must have the model S, The big question was will it be fast enough for my liking. So I test drove the performance and also the regular, and as much as I would have loved to get the performance. The new Raven model S and its acceleration or adequate for The price, I could not justify spending 20 grand to get that Faster acceleration only to use it once in a while when I show off to my friends how quick it is. I put 21 inch twin turbines, carbon spoiler, the wood Dash it’s OK I would’ve preferred carbon fiber but I could always change that later. In my opinion unless you have tons of money to just dump it’s not worth it for what you get and how you will drive in a real-world situation.

And there has never been a moment where I didn’t mash the paddle and plaster people to the backs of the seats while leaving traffic in the dust. I’m very happy with how the regular raven model S performs

Last edited:
I was in the same dilemma you are, I am a sports car guy have drag raced most of my life and like having the fastest vehicle I can afford. Now with that being said I seriously considered a model three performance due to price and what you get for that price. But after realizing that there’s no way I’m going to relegate myself to the constituency of all these jack ass commuters in model 3s with their carpool stickers crooked on the bumpers I didn’t wanna be part of that crowd and had to stick with my gut And go with the Premier model. After deciding that I must have the model S, The big question was will it be fast enough for my liking. So I test drove the performance and also the regular, and as much as I would have loved to get the performance. The new Raven model S and its acceleration or adequate for The price, I could not justify spending 20 grand to get that Faster acceleration only to use it once in a while when I show off to my friends how quick it is. I put 21 inch twin turbines, carbon spoiler, the wood Dash it’s OK I would’ve preferred carbon fiber but I could always change that later. In my opinion unless you have tons of money to just dump it’s not worth it for what you get and how you will drive in a real-world situation.

And there has never been a moment where I didn’t mash the paddle and plaster people to the backs of the seats while leaving traffic in the dust. I’m very happy with how the regular raven model S performs

What you just said :)
This is my 100D non P...looks good to me :)

Attachments

• E86220BD-2725-44FC-9974-1BAB01BEFA22.jpeg
    E86220BD-2725-44FC-9974-1BAB01BEFA22.jpeg
    239.2 KB · Views: 403
Reactions: SilverGS

The LR has quicker 0-60 acceleration than my 2010 Roadster, which itself is quicker than my old Lotus Esprit V8 was. (It might seem like an odd choice of benchmark, but it's the only other really fast car I've owned.)

For me, one notable advantage the Lotus had over the Roadster was overtaking at highway speed. The Esprit was always ready and eager to leap forward, even if I was already going 70 MPH down the highway. The Roadster is a bit less eager, although it does well enough. Judging purely by the top speed statistics for each car, they imply that the Model S LR should fall about halfway in between.

I bought a performance model with no regrets. I love it. There’s nothing like the off the line acceleration. I get a smile on my face every time I drive. Drive the long range and performance back to back and you’ll find out for yourself.

This is really the only way to truly decide. Especially if you come from sports cars that are either V8s or FI 6cyls (or even more so if you drive FI v8s), you will not be impressed by the LR much. Yes, it’s usually still faster off the line than most performance ICE cars since it’s instant torque and AWD, but once you get up to speed, passing power is meh. It then drives like a big V8- if you come from a regular commuter, it’s impressive. If you come from a performance car, then it’s not. After I drove the LR, I wasn’t really impressed and sure as hell wasn’t going to spend $100k on it. I was kind of disappointed actually, because I really wanted to try a a Tesla.

Then 15mins later, I took the P out for a test drive and I was sold. I haven’t been that impressed since sitting in my friend’s 1000whp MKIV Supra.

Couldn’t quite swing the price tag on a new P, so I picked up a pre-owned low mileage inventory 2018 P100D from Tesla for the same price as a new LR.

I’m picking it up tomorrow and I’m stoked. I’m pretty sure I’m going to be one of those people who keep it in Ludicrous mode all the time.

Reactions: voltage