Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Feature Request: Home Settings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mtndrew1

May 12, 2015
Gardena, CA
In another thread @voip-ninja piggybacked on my suggestions and put together a list of functions that could be useful for a home geofence.

1. Ability to keep car from turning on media and HVAC when a door is opened.
2. Auto locking disabled
3. Charge port unlock after charging completion and remain unlocked.

Any other items? Does anyone see dedicated geofenced home settings as useful?

In another thread @voip-ninja piggybacked on my suggestions and put together a list of functions that could be useful for a home geofence.

2. Auto locking disabled

Yes it is annoying to have to open a door or something to remove the plug every morning.

I especially would like #2 - I don't want to have my car auto-lock at home since it is in my garage. Thus - I don't bother with that feature - not a huge deal obviously - as I have an iPhone with face detection - so it is not too hard when I am out and about to use my phone to open the app and lock the car as I am walking away - but it would be nice to use this feature without having it trigger when the car is at home in my garage.

Yes it is annoying to have to open a door or something to remove the plug every morning.

I solve this by doing a quick thumb on the back door latch. With my phone in my pocket, I slightly press the rear door handle with my thumb...enough to wake the car but not enough to open the door or move the window. This immediately allow me to unlock the charge port. Whole process takes less than 2 seconds.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I solve this by doing a quick thumb on the back door latch. With my phone in my pocket, I slightly press the rear door handle with my thumb...enough to wake the car but not enough to open the door or move the window. This immediately allow me to unlock the charge port. Whole process takes less than 2 seconds.

I would like the ability to prevent the car from locking the doors or charge port at all when I’m at home.

Futzing with the door handle to get the charge nozzle released is not something I’ve had to do at all with my previous three EVs from three different brands.

Reactions: pilotSteve
IF they make this change, it should be togglable because I want my car locked, like it is now. I keep my cars locked in my garage, just like I keep my interior doors to the garage locked.

No, my neighborhood is not a dangerous one, I just like locked doors to be locked. I am also used to having to lock the door in the garage on my BMWs to get them to shut down instead of taking 10-12 minutes to shut down, and thats several years of trained behavior so, I DONT want it to stay unlocked at home.

I dont mind those of you who do, but I dont want them to change the setting if they do in such a way that I cant have it the way it is now. I wouldnt mind some sort of "home" set of settings that let people configure this stuff if they want to, and leave it alone if they dont want it changed.

Reactions: srjinatl
IF they make this change, it should be togglable because I want my car locked, like it is now. I keep my cars locked in my garage, just like I keep my interior doors to the garage locked.

No, my neighborhood is not a dangerous one, I just like locked doors to be locked. I am also used to having to lock the door in the garage on my BMWs to get them to shut down instead of taking 10-12 minutes to shut down, and thats several years of trained behavior so, I DONT want it to stay unlocked at home.

I dont mind those of you who do, but I dont want them to change the setting if they do in such a way that I cant have it the way it is now. I wouldnt mind some sort of "home" set of settings that let people configure this stuff if they want to, and leave it alone if they dont want it changed.

Yes, the point of the thread is a potential settings page for geofenced options at home.

Reactions: pilotSteve

I don't mind leaving the car locked, but the option would be nice it would be nice if the charge cable was not locked it a separate option. jumping over my cable, it leaning way over to futz with the handle to remove the plug isn't ideal. It's a tight fit at my house so hard to go around the front of the car, basically need to mess with the passenger side as I walk around. Nice work around though!

Reactions: RTPEV
You'all turning this into an Android.

You say that like it’s a bad thing. The car already behaves differently when at home than it does when away.

If you have a charge timer set at home the car ignores it when away from the house so you don’t need to override it at public stations. If you drive up to your gate or garage the correct homelink button presents itself based on location.

I’d like to use this same ability to resolve some things about this car that drive me nuts. All the ability is already there. Every morning is an irritating dance trying to get the car unplugged for absolutely no reason. There is no need for my charge port to lock when the car is inside my locked garage inside my locked development and the charger is bolted to the wall.

My Nissan and Kia EVs had a switch for exactly this purpose.

Would love to have the "Lock Confirmation Honk" be geofenced. Just as with the folding mirrors, I never want my Model 3 to honk at my house--everywhere else, go for it.

But how about having the confirmation sound selectable--a sound other than a honk? How about a bird chirp, a chihuahua bark, or a "ba-dum-tiss"?

Reactions: MarkBrokeIt

2. Auto locking disabled

I like all three. Also, the side mirrors go in too damn early.
I park my rig in a comfy garage so I don't get my sh!t broken into

My Zod, these are brilliant.

A bit of a stretch, but I'd also like more robust scheduled charging options as, when at home, I can charge any time except M-F, 2-7pm. I would kill for an ability to input that into my car and not having to toggle on/off the overly-simple current option.

Reactions: Deslah
You'all turning this into an Android.

Notification window, quick-access Control Center, widgets, multitasking, 3rd party keyboards, a watch, XL sized screens... I think even the iPhone is turning into Android a little bit, too. Great ideas come from everywhere - it's best to not be so loyal to one company that you might be blind to great innovations in a competing product.

2. Auto locking disabled

I'd like to add a want feature. On my M3 I'd like to have the Chill reminder at the top of the driving screen become a toggle so that you can switch acceleration mode switchable without going into a menu.

It is annoying to remember to take my phone when I go to my car in the garage. I wish my Apple watch would work as key also.

The Geo fence is not as accurate as it needs to be so if the doors stay unlocked at home, if I park in the driveway it will stay unlocked.
My mirrors fold before I drive into the garage.