Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Feature request - Rear camera recording in Sentry mode.

Would you like to have the Sentry mode recordings from the rear camera?

• Yes

• No

• I Don't Care

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll cut to the chase, my car was bumped hard from behind while it was parked with Sentry mode turned on. The damage isn't great, but I have really deep scratches all over the rear bumper, and it is a total bummer after just getting the entire car opticoated. Sounds like I should just be able to check the side cameras, get the plate of the car that parked behind me and contact the police or my insurance. Well not so easy, after checking the side cameras during the span that I was parked in that spot there were 3 cars that had parked behind me, it is completely impossible to tell which of these cars actually made contact while they were parking or leaving. Not having the rear camera recording make the Sentry mode useless in a situation such as this one, I can't show any prove that any of these cars actually made contact. Tesla if you're checking these forums please enable the rear camera recording available in Sentry mode in the future updates.

I would absolutely love this -- not just for Sentry but also for TeslaCam/Dashcam.

The way the cameras are now setup, if someone recklessly tailgates you and then crashes into you, there would be no good video of their reckless driving. The same for someone who hits your bumper while parking. Including the rear camera will fill a big gap that exists now and one of the biggest reasons I'm still considering getting a dual channel dashcam.

Got a Blackvue 900 dual channel partly for this reason. Not to mention that the video quality and field of view is far superior to Tesla's implementation. Having said that, I now use both just in case.

Well I also have the Blackvue 900 dual channel installed that is set to record around the clock.
Problems with the Blackvue is in the back it sits so high up that when the car behind makes contact you can't see it. Also if you don't notice the damage right away, I only get 2 days worth of recordings at 1080p quality with the 64 GB SD that I have in the Blackvue. Regardless having a cam practically on the bumper would be ideal.

Well I also have the Blackvue 900 dual channel installed that is set to record around the clock.
Problems with the Blackvue is in the back it sits so high up that when the car behind makes contact you can't see it. Also if you don't notice the damage right away, I only get 2 days worth of recordings at 1080p quality with the 64 GB SD that I have in the Blackvue. Regardless having a cam practically on the bumper would be ideal.

You just described the Tesla rear view camera :) Really wish they would enable this camera for Sentry and TeslaCam.

Reactions: Oeleboele
I would absolutely love this -- not just for Sentry but also for TeslaCam/Dashcam.

The way the cameras are now setup, if someone recklessly tailgates you and then crashes into you, there would be no good video of their reckless driving.
I thought for the purpose of insurance claims etc, if you're hit from behind, the car behind you is always assumed to be at fault and there's no need to prove anything with a video.

@echupkin: Sorry someone bumped into your car. :(

Because you put the words "feature request" into your thread title, I want to be sure you understand that TMC is not affiliated with Tesla, Inc. in any way. I personally can vouch that personnel from Tesla do read the TMC forums, but these should not be considered an official support mechanism or a way to advocate for product improvements. Just want to set your expectations.

Bruce.

@echupkin: Sorry someone bumped into your car. :(

Because you put the words "feature request" into your thread title, I want to be sure you understand that TMC is not affiliated with Tesla, Inc. in any way. I personally can vouch that personnel from Tesla do read the TMC forums, but these should not be considered an official support mechanism or a way to advocate for product improvements. Just want to set your expectations.

Bruce.
Do you know the best way to put in a feature request to Tesla? The way that we could all join forces while asking for something as simple as adding rear camera recording to the TeslaCam.

PopPopMike

I thought for the purpose of insurance claims etc, if you're hit from behind, the car behind you is always assumed to be at fault and there's no need to prove anything with a video.

Yes, that is usually the case but it could be useful to have a video of them distracted on their phone, eating, or doing some other nonsense as they plow into you. That shows willful negligence and if they cause excessive harm, would be quite useful in court.

Also showing a video of their negligence to the police could compel an offer to write them a hefty ticket that would make the whole claims process a lot easier. Right now TeslaCam has a big blind-spot for tailgaters who cause accidents.

• Informative
Reactions: cynix