Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Feature Request] Turn off Auto-Dimming Mirrors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In case anybody hasn't gone through the manual, here's what it says:

Except when in Reverse, the rear view mirror automatically dims in proportion to the level of glare from the headlights of a vehicle behind you.

The driver’s side mirror automatically dims in low lighting conditions (for example, when driving at night or through a tunnel) in proportion to the level of glare from the headlights of a vehicle behind you (except when in Reverse).​

Agree with above that full manual control would be best. At least if a pre-selected level of dimming could be chosen from 0 to 100%, that would be best.

Reactions: pipestem
I disagree, I don't think that the auto-dim function is nearly as sensitive as it needs to be. I find myself in situations where I have excessive glare from all 3 mirrors far more then it turning on when it doesn't need to.

As others have noted, it is not time driven. Its driven by something sensing glare on the interior rear view mirror.

I'm fairly certain the the auto-dimming mirrors in my M3 are strictly time-based. At sundown they go to maximum tint. Driving at dusk I'm often annoyed that the mirrors are not tinted at all, even though I have someone behind me with bright headlights. And, in full darkness with no one behind me, I'm often annoyed that the mirrors are at full tint and I can't see anything behind.

I would very much like the mirror tint to adjust based on headlights behind me, and I would like a manual control to let me enable/disable and vary the tint level.

On the same subject, this is the only car I've had with auto-dimming mirrors that has a 1/8-1/4" non-tinted "frame" around the tinted mirror area. Very annoying.

In case anybody hasn't gone through the manual, here's what it says:

Except when in Reverse, the rear view mirror automatically dims in proportion to the level of glare from the headlights of a vehicle behind you.

The driver’s side mirror automatically dims in low lighting conditions (for example, when driving at night or through a tunnel) in proportion to the level of glare from the headlights of a vehicle behind you (except when in Reverse).​

Agree with above that full manual control would be best. At least if a pre-selected level of dimming could be chosen from 0 to 100%, that would be best.
If only they work the way described in the owner's manual. That seems more aspirational that actual.

Reactions: Jedi2155
For those who feel the auto-dimming mirrors being too dark, do you have window tint and to what percent?

I got 70% tint the front side windows and 30% the rear side windows and rear window. However, even prior to tinting I thought they were too dark, especially the sides, which is unnecessary. In all the years I've been driving, never once I have I been blinded by my side mirrors. The front side tinting actually didnt have any noticeable effect since I rolled down my windows half way to compare the dimming

What I did was unplug the dimming wire going to the side mirrors and bought a Broadway replacement rear-view mirror. Once Tesla lets us control the dimming, I'll replug them back in.

I got 70% tint the front side windows and 30% the rear side windows and rear window. However, even prior to tinting I thought they were too dark, especially the sides, which is unnecessary. In all the years I've been driving, never once I have I been blinded by my side mirrors. The front side tinting actually didnt have any noticeable effect since I rolled down my windows half way to compare the dimming

What I did was unplug the dimming wire going to the side mirrors and bought a Broadway replacement rear-view mirror. Once Tesla lets us control the dimming, I'll replug them back in.
I used to get blinded by them all the time in my cars without auto dimming mirrors and no tint. I mean the way people have illegal and maladjusted headlights or use their high beams you should be getting blinded :) I would often move my mirrors in, or just hold my hand up to block the light. Still this cars mirrors do not function properly.

Reactions: Incredulocious