Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

February 2022 Ordered and Estimated Delivery Dates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How did you order CA personalized plates without VIN? It took me almost 9 months to get mine in November 2021.

I ordered CA personalized plates in August 2021 for my 2021 M3 which I plan to trade in or sell private. DMV Live Chat shared they expect for mid-March arrival. That would be 8.5 months of waiting 🥲

I ordered my LR at the very end of January and up until last week has an estimated delivery date of the end of May to the end of June. Then it got pushed to August. Now its 8/15 - 9/12.

It seems like the system has pushed everyone’s EDD for non-FSD. It’s clear Tesla is now delivering based on profit margins. Sad that it’s not really first-come, first served.

Reactions: HellsKitchen
I ordered CA personalized plates in August 2021 for my 2021 M3 which I plan to trade in or sell private. DMV Live Chat shared they expect for mid-March arrival. That would be 8.5 months of waiting 🥲

It seems like the system has pushed everyone’s EDD for non-FSD. It’s clear Tesla is now delivering based on profit margins. Sad that it’s not really first-come, first served.
Bummer. My plan was to to rent FSD a couple of times a year for trips but now that I understand this is the case, I'm not going to support that decision with my $$.

Bummer. My plan was to to rent FSD a couple of times a year for trips but now that I understand this is the case, I'm not going to support that decision with my $$.
I feel the same way and would be in the same situation - would have subscribed at least a few months out of the year and who knows may have liked it enough and decided I couldn’t be without it. But if they really are going to start blanket pushing all orders out that don’t have it I’ll likely just pass as well. If that’s the requirement when ordering than ok say so and we can decide.

Quite honestly this all thing of trying to "figure out" a way to beat the system by adding/changing/removing based on situations and reports coming out of a forum makes me quite sad. I don't mean any disrespect to anyone here, and I apologize if my comment came out wrongly, but I think that the hassle free Tesla buying experience is made complicated by the First World expectation to have everything fast and now.
While I do agree that the gaming of the system is iffy, people would have no desire to do it if Tesla maintained any sort of credibility when it came to deliveries. People are contemplating trying these things because people who ordered cars 6 months ago are getting their EDDs pushed out for people who order more expensive cars today. Tesla needs to think carefully about how far they want to go with this sort of “pay for play” practices. It’s obviously starting to wear on both long time customers and newer/prospective customers.

While I do agree that the gaming of the system is iffy, people would have no desire to do it if Tesla maintained any sort of credibility when it came to deliveries. People are contemplating trying these things because people who ordered cars 6 months ago are getting their EDDs pushed out for people who order more expensive cars today. Tesla needs to think carefully about how far they want to go with this sort of “pay for play” practices. It’s obviously starting to wear on both long time customers and newer/prospective customers.
End of the day, what are you or any consumer going to do about it? Pay to play is going to be a thing whenever they are in demand. They are in extreme demand right now.

They definitely dont need to think too hard about it, it is what it is

End of the day, what are you or any consumer going to do about it? Pay to play is going to be a thing whenever they are in demand. They are in extreme demand right now.

They definitely dont need to think too hard about it, it is what it is
Well, my whole point with the last bit of my comment is that I truly do think that eventually people will grow tired of at least it being so blatant. That’s why I said they need to be careful about how far they want to go with this. Prioritizing performance over long range? Fine, I guess. There are mechanical differences between the models. Prioritizing one car that has one extra software update over another? Maybe that’s a bit too far.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they start seeing people who have been waiting who got yet another arbitrary delay to the EDD, cancel.

Reactions: wweaver1991
I have heard if you add full drive package your delivery wait time gets reduced by 3 months.
So what you heard seems to be absolutely correct. I just went to Tesla.com and put my exact config in like I was ordering it again today. It came up with an EDD of September, just like I’m currently getting for when I ordered over a month ago. Then I click the button to add FSD to the order and just like that it changes to May. So either they have extra capacity at the factory they are filling with these orders (very unlikely) or they’re just bumping the rest of us down the line. Not sure how long/how many vehicles will “jump” ahead of all of our orders without FSD but I then went in and selected the long range with no options except FSD and that too jumped up to May.

Perhaps the May date will change but there’s clearly a definite theme. A $12k software unlock makes your vehicle suddenly 4 months to 7 months faster to build. Hmmm. It’s a lot like the ICE dealers asking for the $5-10k above MSRP if you want your car now. You just do end up with a beta feature set with that fee whether you want it or not.

It's software. Probably a 1 or 0 in an Excel sheet.
If it is "only" software, then this is jumping the queue if Customers order it is borderline dumb......from a planning point of view I am sure that they could arrange to provide the "installation" of the software, at a later stage, or in a way that doesn't disrupt any order or precedence.
Also that may be the most expensive piece of software ever :D

Yeah it’s software. From what I’ve read their “take” on FSD has been down so perhaps this is their attempt to reverse that. But yes it’s basically a line jump by purchasing expensive software. Just like you cane jump the line at the ICE dealership by paying $5-10k above sticker I guess for the car everyone is waiting to hit the lot. Crazy times. I just wish if they’ve already taken your order and agreed on the price and approximate delivery time then try to hold it. I get supply chain issues but our non-desire to unlock pricey software after the fact isn’t a supply chain issue that should push the date out many months for a sometimes much needed expensive mode of transportation.

Otherwise if the coders unlocking FSD can really speed up the manufacturing line 4-7 months time I hope they are paid so well they would never consider leaving the company. That’s truly impressive.

I think the FSD prioritization is a cash flow thing. If there’s a shortage they’re experiencing somewhere, they’d rather build what they can for customers willing to give them that extra money, so that they get more cash now. I can understand why they’re doing it, but that doesn’t mean I agree with it being a best practice.

As someone who is very familiar with manufacturing and supply chain shortages, not only are parts late, but you sometimes have to spend $$$ to get what you can in the door.

If it is "only" software, then this is jumping the queue if Customers order it is borderline dumb......from a planning point of view I am sure that they could arrange to provide the "installation" of the software, at a later stage, or in a way that doesn't disrupt any order or precedence.
Also that may be the most expensive piece of software ever :D
People really need to think if its really worth the 10k (older orders) or 12k to do this at time of purchase. First, it is not fully ready, in states that pay renewals based on cost of car, this is added in. You need to own your car for 5 yrs to actually break even. And reviews on FSD really doesnt make it worth it.

So ya, its a fast pass and Elon's way to bolster it and say, "Hey, look at all these FSD we have sold!"

Removed FSD from our blue MYLR7 and it went from May to September this morning. Not surprising, though we still don’t have a date range.

Hoping things settle a bit once Austin comes online, even if it’s going to take a while for them to ramp up.

Reactions: BGOwner
Welp... moved to august
Me too. I've already mentioned this but I had planned on subscribing to FSD a few times a year for trips but now that they've bumped me back for people paying more, that's not happening. It's a short-sighted move that is pissing off customers before they even take delivery of their cars.

Maybe someone should challenge Elon to single combat. Stakes: FSD.

I would have purchased the FSD if they offered paying for the functionality that is complete like parking and enhanced Auto Pilot and then a fixed price agreement for the unfinished portion like the City Streets auto once its complete that you pay for after delivery of the working approved software. Most people I would think are like me and not going to pay for something that is not available with no promise of when its going to be done. More power to those that have the money Ill just wait. But if I keep getting pushed I can say ill probably cancel my order. I will wait as long as the first delivery date I was supplied in my app when I first set up my account. If I dont get it by then I will cancel my order. I will not support a system where the company does not say what it means and means what it says no matter how much I like the vehicle.