Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Federal EV coming this budget 2019

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I already know someone who was considering ordering a Tesla before the prices rise Monday who is now wondering if he should wait until Tuesday's announcement.

I'm in a similar situation but I've already ordered (no VIN yet) so I'm wondering if I should cancel... But I don't want to "lose" my guaranteed price from last week..

2w5782.jpg

If they announce a program with a delay, people will wait to buy. Killing EV sales in the short-term would not be a good result, so I hope the program goes into effect immediately.

I already know someone who was considering ordering a Tesla before the prices rise Monday who is now wondering if he should wait until Tuesday's announcement.

Depends on the rebate and how it'll be implemented. Direct off the MSRP at delivery = less taxes paid. Tax Rebate = more taxes paid.

I would order now - your friend is guaranteed 3% (+taxes) off the MSRP post March 18. Rebate is a maybe, no details, and prices may change more if our CAD is weakened to the USD.

Reactions: lukex4 and Tz00
Your delivery date is what matters for any incentive, no? Even if you ordered today, you won't take delivery by Tuesday or likely even any day next week.
This is likely but even if it’s based on order date, you’d be able to cancel and reorder so long as you don’t have a VIN. Of course you’d have to pay the price increase but you should still come out ahead. So I agree - order by Monday and see what the rebate details are.

Yes but at the same time you still give 5000-8000$ to a millionnaire if he buys a Model 3. So what's the difference?

If a "millionaire" (your term not mine) chooses to buy an EV that meets the rebate criteria and qualifies for the rebate so be it. But how many well off consumers with the budget and intention of purchasing a $130000+ car will be swayed by a tax credit into changing to a more mid priced EV? My assumption would be a minority. This leaves more funds in the program to focus on its primary purpose which, as I understand it, is to encourage consumers to switch to EVs over ICE by easing the cost differential to do so.

Yes and also I think the most important is how much CO2 emission are we preventing by someone switching to an EV? For sure it's nice that someone is replacing their Yaris/Corolla with a Bolt/Model 3 but really I think there's even more "value" into someone replacing their big SUV with a Model X.

I don't care if the person is rich or not, the most important is to fight against global warming!

Interesting point of view but I'd argue that the person driving the Land Yacht already has the means to choose to change to a model X without a tax payer funded rebate. I'm sure a certain percentage of that particular subset of consumers who are "on the fence" on making a change might be swayed by the rebate but IMHO the majority of people who can afford an X will buy one or won't, a tax rebate of a few percentage points of the vehicle cost isn't a limiting factor.

I'd guess there are a many more people who are in the market for an affordable family car that simply don't have the means to change to an EV that costs 10K more than the ICE equivalent.

Making a lot of money doesn’t make you stupid all of a sudden. The rebates were never about need, but rather persuasion. High income earners can be persuaded and are capable of recognizing the better deal. So a model X instead of an Escalade’s pollution? Isn’t that the whole point? It’s not a Model X vs a Corolla.

The other thing people seem to forget is that it’s not your tax dollars or your neighbours. It’s the purchaser‘s. We all pay far more in tax per year than the value of these rebates. It’s the purchaser’s tax dollars they are getting back. Not yours.

Last edited:
Making a lot of money doesn’t make you stupid all of a sudden. The rebates were never about need, but rather persuasion. High income earners can be persuaded and are capable of recognizing the better deal. So a model X instead of an Escalade’s pollution? Isn’t that the whole point? It’s not a Model X vs a Corolla.

The other thing people seem to forget is that it’s not your tax dollars or your neighbours. It’s the purchaser‘s. We all pay far more in tax per year than the value of these rebates. It’s the purchaser’s tax dollars they are getting back. Not yours.

Well factually the EV rebates were funded wholly by cap and trade revenues. So technically it wasn't anyone's tax dollars.

Quick note. I'm reading that Andrew Scheer may delay the tabling of the federal budget, so we may not hear about the rebate at 4. It should be as soon as the finance minister is able to start delivering the budget speech. Once that happens, the media will be free to report the details.

• Informative
Reactions: Techniques
A good reason for a cap of $50,000 on the EV rebate, is that it will stimulate manufacturers to have an option that qualifies. It is not just the purchaser you’re trying to stimulate it is also the manufacturers of the electric vehicles.

Take the Kona EV as an example, IIRC , they are only selling premium trim, and have a price higher than some people were expecting. If there is a federal subsidy for only cars under $50k, I am sure they would find a way to get under it. Cheaper EVs, means more people buy them.

Providing a subsidy on a Jaguar, does not have this effect.

Personally I think there should be three criteria:
1) Fully electric, not hybrid
2) 25Kwh minimum battery size
3) under $50k base price.

A good reason for a cap of $50,000 on the EV rebate, is that it will stimulate manufacturers to have an option that qualifies. It is not just the purchaser you’re trying to stimulate it is also the manufacturers of the electric vehicles.

Take the Kona EV as an example, IIRC , they are only selling premium trim, and have a price higher than some people were expecting. If there is a federal subsidy for only cars under $50k, I am sure they would find a way to get under it. Cheaper EVs, means more people buy them.

Providing a subsidy on a Jaguar, does not have this effect.

Personally I think there should be three criteria:
1) Fully electric, not hybrid
2) 25Kwh minimum battery size
3) under $50k base price.

Base Model 3 barely squeaks in at 50K CAD cap. Would be interesting to see the details and the uptake rate - free AP/FSD in a sense.

To be honest, the LR battery is only useful on long road trips. Urban driving has yet to use more than 40% of the rated 500kms at a daily 120-150km commute even in the dead of winter.

Base Model 3 barely squeaks in at 50K CAD cap. Would be interesting to see the details and the uptake rate - free AP/FSD in a sense.

To be honest, the LR battery is only useful on long road trips. Urban driving has yet to use more than 40% of the rated 500kms at a daily 120-150km commute even in the dead of winter.

If there's any kind of cap on the MSRP, I hope it does at least let us order a SR+... I would gladly switch my LR order to a SR+ if it means I get 5000$ more rebate. I would be much more disappointed if I can only order the SR...

If there's any kind of cap on the MSRP, I hope it does at least let us order a SR+... I would gladly switch my LR order to a SR+ if it means I get 5000$ more rebate. I would be much more disappointed if I can only order the SR...
We'll know for sure very soon, but for what it's worth, the recommendation to the government was to set the cap at around $75k.

If it's capped at $75k, even a LR will qualify much like our EHVIP in Ontario before it got canned.

In this case, I'll be getting a model Y LR comes late next year!

Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck