Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Federal EV coming this budget 2019

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The liberals are worried about the optics of rich people getting subsidies. It’s unfortunate because the incentive would help a lot of people stretch for a base model3
Then they should have means-tested it and provided a bigger rebate on somewhat more expensive cars. Instead they’re just going to end up pushing 200km compliance cars and giving people a bad impression of what EVs can be today.

Reactions: RiverBrick and Gen3
The base Leaf Plus will look good at $5k less. Nissan will be the big winner here, I suspect.
Yeah - when I looked at them before, the SV was the best mix of value and features. If Nissan really wants to push sales. They should drop the SV Plus MSRP by $1500. And then get it just under the $45k MSRP. Assuming this stacks with the provincial credits. In BC - they'd sell a lot of SV Plus models at $35k CDN that can go 360 KM.

Since this excludes the Model 3, Kona EV and (likely) eNiro - Nissan is going to come out well on sales.

Unfortunately - since they announced "details coming soon" - I doubt anyone who was in the market and hears about the budget announcement will purchase until it's finalized. So short-term, sales will tank on eligible models.

Yeah - when I looked at them before, the SV was the best mix of value and features. If Nissan really wants to push sales. They should drop the SV Plus MSRP by $1500. And then get it just under the $45k MSRP. Assuming this stacks with the provincial credits. In BC - they'd sell a lot of SV Plus models at $35k CDN that can go 360 KM.

Since this excludes the Model 3, Kona EV and (likely) eNiro - Nissan is going to come out well on sales.

Unfortunately - since they announced "details coming soon" - I doubt anyone who was in the market and hears about the budget announcement will purchase until it's finalized. So short-term, sales will tank on eligible models.
Agreed. They’ve just killed short term sales for less expensive EVs.

One smart way to implement these rebates is with a max price and minimum range conditions, i.e. $45k MSRP and min 300km range.

The majority of us that spent our $$$ and purchased a Model 3 did it because we saw the value proposition Tesla offered to effectively transition into sustainable transportation and worked hard to save for the purchase. We also wanted to make sure the disruption being caused by Tesla will happen sooner than later.
Governments have effective tools to do this if they only could cut their useless politicking by 50% and use that energy to govern better during this critical time.

Here is the relevant paragraph from Budget 2019 (p. 82):
To encourage more Canadians to buy zero-emission vehicles, Budget 2019 proposes to provide $300 million over three years, starting in 2019–20, to Transport Canada to introduce a new federal purchase incentive of up to $5,000 for electric battery or hydrogen fuel cell vehicles with a manufacturer’s suggested retail price of less than $45,000. Program details to follow.​

That's 60,000 units over 3 years.

We can always hope Tesla does what it did in Germany some time ago, reducing the base price by making other things not part of the base price so people could have the rebate...
Don't know if tweeting Elon is the best way to get his attention but we can hope ;)

Phil on Twitter

Bring base SR down to $45k, then make everything else an option, including battery size, dual motor, premium upgrades, etc. That could work for Model 3. May be a stretch for Model Y.

Reactions: Muaddid
45k is LAME.... Should be somewhere between 60k and 75k
Bring base SR down to $45k, then make everything else an option, including battery size, dual motor, premium upgrades, etc. That could work for Model 3. May be a stretch for Model Y.
I think when they did that in Germany tho, it bit them in the ass.... People sued because Tesla refused to sell them the advertised stripped down base version. We need the exchange rate to improve by 5 or 6% to slip the base model 3 in this program.
OR complain enough before it starts so maybe they boost it to 55k msrp.... Where do we start complaining?