Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Feedback from S60->S75 converts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since its been a while since the big price drop on 60 to 75 upgrade, I figured we an get some real world feedback on the folks who jumped in and converted.

I am specifically looking for the NON-D variant but D owners can jump in as well.

If you can answer the following that would be awesome, any additional info is always welcome

100% charge total miles shown
Whats your target % now (did you go from 100% on 60 to 90% on 75, 90% on 60 to 80% on 75? etc)
How many additional miles do you see in your regular charging routine
How much longer does it take at the super-charger to reach your target
Charge rate at 80-100% at super-charger
Final thoughts, do you feel its really useful or is it just peace of mind and comfort knowing you have a few extra miles

Since its been a while since the big price drop on 60 to 75 upgrade, I figured we an get some real world feedback on the folks who jumped in and converted.

I am specifically looking for the NON-D variant but D owners can jump in as well.

If you can answer the following that would be awesome, any additional info is always welcome

Whats your target % now (did you go from 100% on 60 to 90% on 75, 90% on 60 to 80% on 75? etc)
Final thoughts, do you feel its really useful or is it just peace of mind and comfort knowing you have a few extra miles

75D

1. 256/257

2. 90% (229 miles)

3. 9-10

4. Less time or the same.

5. Why would you?

6. Very useful (both surprisingly day to day but I saved 2 hours on one way of a road trip vs. the same road trip as a 60D). If you don't have a D, its even more useful because you can't benefit from torque sleep and other D efficiencies (better regen).

• Informative
Reactions: ACExpress
75D

1. 256/257

2. 90% (229 miles)

3. 9-10

4. Less time or the same.

5. Why would you?

6. Very useful (both surprisingly day to day but I saved 2 hours on one way of a road trip vs. the same road trip as a 60D). If you don't have a D, its even more useful because you can't benefit from torque sleep and other D efficiencies (better regen).

Nice! Thanks for the response. By no.5 I meant by how much does the charge rate go down in the super-charger once you hit the 80% and 90% mark. In the 60 the charge rate is fairly even slowing down a tad towards the final few miles, on 75, I've heard the charge rate drops dramatically once you cross the 80% mark, I wanted to know by how much.

I'm not sure how the charging time can be less for you, the rate should have been the same and the "Extra" range should take additional time on top right? Or am i missing something

I don't have specifics, but I'm very happy we took our 60 to 75. It's made a couple of trips possible that we simply could not do before, or removed at least one supercharger stop from other trips.

If you never go on trips, it's not really needed. But my wife likes to go about 80 miles to Norfolk, VA for yoga, and now she doesn't have to supercharge the car to make the round trip with plenty of cushion for shopping around town. We also have a place in the mountains, and I can hit it with enough reserve to get back out of the mountains should I not be able to get a charge at our place, a real possibility since I have to string 250+ feet of extension cords over a creek to where we park to charge.

Don't know the charge rate for 80-100 but I did 43-90% in 36 minutes and 90-100% in 40 minutes on supercharger this weekend.

I don't usually charge to 100% on the road, it takes way too long time and is often unnecessary, but the extra range is nice to have when you charge at home.

Reactions: davinci2017
S60 to S75
  1. 100% increased from 206 miles to 242 miles
  2. Used to charge to 100%; now charge to 90%
  3. Increase from 206 miles to 217 miles for #2
I rarely Supercharge but going from 50% to 100% previously to the 90% now feels about the same speed. I've only used the Santa Ana SC and charging speeds vary wildly so cannot draw any conclusions. Have not Supercharged to 100% of 75 kW yet. Also have not needed the extra range yet but maybe it will help on summer road trips. My daily commute is ~100 miles round trip and I charge at work. Having max range slightly > 2 days of daily driving = peace of mind in case I can't find a free charger at work or if there is an emergency. If my commute was shorter, I probably would have stayed with the 60 and saved the $2k.

Don't know the charge rate for 80-100 but I did 43-90% in 36 minutes and 90-100% in 40 minutes on supercharger this weekend.

I don't usually charge to 100% on the road, it takes way too long time and is often unnecessary, but the extra range is nice to have when you charge at home.

THat is very useful thank you, that was what I was looking for, I think 90%-100% is really slow and quite pointless in super-chargers unless you have a lot of time to spare :)

At home for sure, before a road trip I think it might be good if it really saves an extra stop. Great info thanks

60D to 75D

1. 100% went from 218 to 256
2&3. I used to charge to 100% and now I charge to 90% with an increase of ~10 miles
4. I have not tested it yet but I would assume that the extra capacity would take an extra ~20 minutes to fill
5. See above
6. Worth it to me. Many of my common road trips can now be completed comfortably with no charging stops at all.

S60 to S75
  1. 100% increased from 206 miles to 242 miles
  2. Used to charge to 100%; now charge to 90%
  3. Increase from 206 miles to 217 miles for #2
I rarely Supercharge but going from 50% to 100% previously to the 90% now feels about the same speed. I've only used the Santa Ana SC and charging speeds vary wildly so cannot draw any conclusions. Have not Supercharged to 100% of 75 kW yet. Also have not needed the extra range yet but maybe it will help on summer road trips. My daily commute is ~100 miles round trip and I charge at work. Having max range slightly > 2 days of daily driving = peace of mind in case I can't find a free charger at work or if there is an emergency. If my commute was shorter, I probably would have stayed with the 60 and saved the $2k.

Your last statement is where I am right now, my commute is short and I charge close to once a week. I do go on trips once in a while but I was trying to gauge if I would see the actual impact it would make on my routine.

Also looks like the real world max range shown by the car is around the 240 mark vs the 250 listed by Tesla

The only time I do the >90% on the SuperCharger is if I have time to spare (eating dinner at a destination) or the like. Otherwise, I just SC to 85% and keep moving along.

I upgraded from 60 to 75 and it makes a trip we take on a regular basis possible without any SC that previously I would have to charge somewhere. The trip could be done on the 60, but I would have to drive at 60 MPH instead of the speed limit.

got my 60 a couple weeks ago. just upgraded to 75 a few days ago. i like having the extra cushion. i also knew that i would eventually do it someday, so why not now? also, we are charging on a 110v outlet. it will cost me $1,000 to convert to a 220 for faster charging but we plan on moving in 1-2 years, so we're thinking it's not worth it. if we come home and our range is under 100, we'll give it an off day and drive our 3rd vehicle.

60D -> 75D
100%: 217mi -> 252mi
Target: 195mi -> 228mi (90%->90%, wife disliked nagging messages)
Supercharging: No noticeable change, calculated at 10min
Charge rate: I don't charge to 100% at a SC, so can't say.

Final thoughts: @$2000, we don't regret purchasing the upgrade at all. Day to day, minimal noticeable change. On long drives, it makes a much larger difference than indicated on paper. Peace of mind, and increasing charging segments.

On 60D: Being aware of where we are going, especially longer day trips and needing to pre-charge before going into more isolated areas or making sure we turn it up to 100% the night before, potentially both.

On 75D: Have not needed to charge earlier than we needed or needed to stop for any of our day trips so far. Still need to turn up if we know we're going a little further. Definitely skipped our one (and only) supercharger needed along one of our longer regular day trips.

• Informative
got my 60 a couple weeks ago. just upgraded to 75 a few days ago. i like having the extra cushion. i also knew that i would eventually do it someday, so why not now? also, we are charging on a 110v outlet. it will cost me $1,000 to convert to a 220 for faster charging but we plan on moving in 1-2 years, so we're thinking it's not worth it. if we come home and our range is under 100, we'll give it an off day and drive our 3rd vehicle.

You can also consider using a local L2 charger when going out. For example, our pediatrician's office installed a new L2 charger (free) and all our Walgreens locations have L2 (chargepoint). Hell, even though we don't go, the McDonalds' has a blink charger (I am not a part of their network and I don't like McD).

I think you'll find it will work out great having that larger reservoir of energy.

1. 243
2. 90% on 60, 80% on 75.
3. not much. 90% on 60 was 187ish and 80% on 75 is 193
4. Same time. You could supercharge to 100% on the 60 in maybe 40-50 mins, but i dont supercharge to 100% on the 75. On the 75 i think i've always seen it read 1 hour 15 mins... or around there for 100%
5. between 10-40kw
6. its useful. i've been able to drive further and faster.

• Informative
My useful range with 100% charge is between 200 and 219 on a 60/75 (non-D). Without the upgrade, some SC road trips were uncomfortable in the Pacific northwest, but they become rather comfortable without going way out of the way with 75. Also, the 75 gives me three hours driving range, which is about all the further that I want to go without a break. It is still not ideal, but is more adequate.

That said, so far, I have not taken a trip that required more than the 60 with one SC stop (which probably wasn't crucial). :D