Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Feel the quality

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Noticed some condensation inside both front fog lights this afternoon, which prompted me to check the rear clusters and sure enough, they too have joined the party.

Surly, this can't be normal or acceptable...

IMG_2110.jpg

IMG_2114.JPG

IMG_2111.JPG

its fairly normal under certain conditions. And probably acceptable to Tesla. So long as there is no actual water sloshing around their default is its good I think.
How old is your car? it used to be a big deal in 2019 but I thought things had improved?

My 2018 3 was like this when I first received it, and the service center agreed to replace it but I waited after hearing others note this is not uncommon due to venting. Mine have cleared up on its own over time. Using a pressure washer (which I think my service center was doing at the time) can cause this if not careful. Park in the sun, give it some time. :)

They will only replace if it turns to liquid and fills up. Condensation on its own they will ignore.
I'm afraid, if they don't replace them, they can keep the car. The whole car has a distinct "made in China" feel about it. The more time I spend with the car, the more I see the lack of quality throughout. My concern here is that even if they do replace, it's not going to go away, for reasons commented on above. That said, I have had several other cars with LED bulbs that did not have this problem. Apart from affecting functionality, it looks horrible.

I'm afraid, if they don't replace them, they can keep the car. The whole car has a distinct "made in China" feel about it. The more time I spend with the car, the more I see the lack of quality throughout

Lol, the China made cars are much better than the US ones.

My US one had this and so does my China one. I can't believe it anyone has been pulled over as it doesn't impact functionality.

It is a problem with LED lights across a range of brands. SWMBO's Mercedes does it. , insufficient heat to shift the condensation.
What's next? Heared light covers?
MB is hardly the pinnacle of quality these days so just because they do it doesn't mean we should accept it. I see more MBs with LED segments out on the rear end of cars than any other manufacturer.

Having heat to dry out a poorly manufactured light cluster isn't the answer - I guess they got away with it when there were bulbs in there giving off heat. Now their OEMs will have to learn to make the things properly.

My wife's Lexus doesn't have this problem, nor did my previous vehicles, so it is possible.

I used to think this was a Tesla only problem, but I did see a thread (elsewhere, can't remember where) which showed a bunch of photos of various different cars of different price levels, some higher than Model 3s, all showing the same sort of thing.

There is definitely an issue with the rear lights being "leaky", some are better than others. I had both mine replaced by a ranger and they had zero condensation for months. Now that we've come into winter they've shown the occasional amount of misting as your rear ones. Not quite as bad but not a million miles off.

As said above Tesla won't replace unless there are water droplets in them.

Some manufacturers used to have a problem with so-called 'Friday cars'. Tesla avoids that by making them all Friday quality.
I drove into town yesterday after pre-warming my S - drizzle and 2C. I used to get occasional issues with B pillar cams misting, but yesterday the msg was 'multiple cameras blocked or blinded'. So much for my vision based FSD...
Also, after the last update, I'm getting dipped headlights at every chevron bend and off-road parked car with no lights and many road marking posts - just when you need better driver vision.

• Funny
Reactions: Durzel
The simple fact of the matter is this;

A dealer wouldn't have a new car sitting in their showroom looking like this, most of us wouldn't have took delivery with it looking like this and I'm sure I'm not accepting a 4 week old car with a price ticket on it of circa £50k looking like this, regardless of whether it affects functionality or not.

As for the "made in China" comment, naturally I know where this was built, but I'm sure there will be some age enough to understand what I meant.