Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yea. My car is $11,000 cheaper today than when I took delivery last September. For the exact same car. I did take the 5k refund offered but that still leaves $6k additional in lost value.

11k factoring in tax change? Yup we are same boat. I kept the FUSC, as that should save me about $2,500 a year at current rates compared to paying for SC. Everytime I plug in, I beat back a bit of the crazy price difference:)

Yup I am the same way. I prefer the negotiations, but understand the masses don't. We actually bought a Prius Prime in March and sold in in December for the GFs Model 3, and were pretty much break even on that after almost a year of ownership due to how cheap we got it up front.

I really wish Tesla would settle on an MSRP and offer deals. Still not shady dealer tactics, they will just run a deal when they need to pump up demand.

The biggest thing that people I think miss is when Tesla lowers MSRP, the are making a huge dent in resale value. When manufacturers offer discounts, that does not have an impact on resale (if they always run them it may have a bit of impact, but no where near a MSRP change).

Agreed, I tried making similar points in other threads, but some members just don't agree - mostly members who have not yet completed a transaction on their new Telsa, BTW... :)

11k factoring in tax change? Yup we are same boat. I kept the FUSC, as that should save me about $2,500 a year at current rates compared to paying for SC. Everytime I plug in, I beat back a bit of the crazy price difference:)
Not factoring in tax change no. My car was 64k invoice for a P3d-. Today the standard P3D+ is $55k. So if I had bought PUP Id be sittting at a 16k loss. I don't typically consider tax incentives because not everyone can take them and my loan is based on full price, not tax benefits.

Yea. My car is $11,000 cheaper today than when I took delivery last September. For the exact same car. I did take the 5k refund offered but that still leaves $6k additional in lost value.

The tax credit difference covers most of that though- and other things like the different destination charge, charge for homelink, left-out cables/adapters, etc might more than cover the rest.

Reactions: Kleenerth3
The tax credit difference covers most of that though- and other things like the different destination charge, charge for homelink, left-out cables/adapters, etc might more than cover the rest.
I'm not complaining but that's not true... Factoring in tax credit and if I took the $5k, it still is $5600 cheaper now.... All those things you listed are well under $1k :). Not complaining, being factual.

White a bit off topic, the M3 forum is lighting up with members who felt "scammed" by yesterday's price reductions - especially folks who took delivery very recently and paid more than $5000 more (e.g., P3D customers). For me, it was a $2,200 hit, after three weeks.
Perhaps those discussions on the price reduction should stay in the other threads? So this one can stay on how the op can have his/her billing corrected?

I'm not complaining but that's not true... Factoring in tax credit and if I took the $5k, it still is $5600 cheaper now.... All those things you listed are well under $1k :). Not complaining, being factual.

Uh...no.

Go back and read what he wrote. He said after the 5k the difference was only 6k left.

The tax credit difference is $7500-1875= 5625.

Homelink makes it $5925.

The 14-50 and phone adapters make it $5975.

The $200 destination charge makes it $6175.

Which is more than the 6k cheaper he said the car is today after 5k refund.

Uh...no.

Go back and read what he wrote. He said after the 5k the difference was only 6k left.

The tax credit difference is $7500-1875= 5625.

Homelink makes it $5925.

The 14-50 and phone adapters make it $5975.

The $200 destination charge makes it $6175.

Which is more than the 6k cheaper he said the car is today after 5k refund.
I thoughtyou were referencing my numbers.,P not theirs!

What about gas savings and the cost of not owning the car? (Eg, you got enjoyment out of the car between now and then and that is worth something. How much does it cost to rent a Tesla/day?

What about gas savings and the cost of not owning the car? (Eg, you got enjoyment out of the car between now and then and that is worth something. How much does it cost to rent a Tesla/day?
Like I said, not complaining, just stating.

Lifetime the free SC should more than pay that difference, it is up to $2000 saved now vs paying for SC, and about 3000-3500 compared to gas car. That being said, on the enjoyment front, I would have had no problem waiting 10 months that to save $6k. The real value for me is the SC. If I did not value the free SC, I would be in the very upset camp, especially since Tesla advertises they do not play price games.

I see this as a forever car. If it is as reliable as people say, this car will stay in the garage forever. Why not? Free energy for life, free connectivity, and a claimed drivetrain life of 500k miles; that will take me 12-15 years to get too!

I see this as a forever car....... drivetrain life of 500k miles; that will take me 12-15 years to get too!

:rolleyes:
lmao2.jpg

lmao.jpg

Hi Gang. Purchased a Model 3 Performance September 29, 2018. Around September 15, 2018 Elon Musk announced anyone who takes delivery of an IN STOCK Model 3 Performance using a referral code will get free supercharging for life.

Your story mirrors my own. The only difference is I have an email from the SC saying they put in my referral code (even though they apparently didn't). The 1st dozen times I used a supercharger I was charged. I called and emailed many times before finally getting someone on the phone (after literally dozens of hours on hold and talking to people who couldn't help) I finally got someone who apparently knew what they were doing and partially solved my issue. The charging on my card stopped, though now every time I supercharge it says I will be billed exactly $7.48. This bug lets me know I still have FUSC I guess. Last fall my account changed to say FUSC in my vehicle details, but it has since changed back to pay per use. Luckily the $7.48 is still showing up and no charges have been done against my card. Still not sure if that's coincidence or competence. I'm thinking the former. I know the $5k discount would probably be a better deal for me, but I'm planning on keeping this car a LONG time so I opted to stay with the FUSC.

If I had to hazard a guess - Tesla has the incorrect purchase date assigned in their database for your VIN and has been running semi-frequent batch-processes between this and the supercharger database. When you complain, they fix it in the supercharger database, but not at the source, so it regularly reoccurs.

Also makes me wonder whether or not unscrupulous Tesla employees may have been adding friends and family cars to the "free supercharging" database, and this is an attempt to locate and remove those cars. Internal fraud is an issue many companies must deal with from time to time.

I've found throughout our ownership a small number of Tesla employees with the insight and connections to correct challenging to solve (non-standard issues) on the backend. With the sales staff laid off, your best bet is to find a customer-service manager that you can stay in touch with if the problem reoccurs again.

The suggestion to sell-back FUSC may be another worthwhile option for you. I've been considering it myself, as it seems unlikely that I will ever consume the entire amount given that the bulk of our charging is done at home. Even if I were to take ten cross-country trips, I still would not make it back -- I'm dreaming of making a single country trip, but haven't found the time!

Frustrating. I'd write letter to Tesla legal department. Send copies of all receipts for supercharging you paid for and request reimbursement and to have the free SC turned back on. I wouldn't remove your card from your account as some have suggested as you may then get frozen out of a supercharger when you need it. My understanding is that you can charge once without a card on your account, but not sure more than that.

Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated.

If I had to hazard a guess - Tesla has the incorrect purchase date assigned in their database for your VIN and has been running semi-frequent batch-processes between this and the supercharger database. When you complain, they fix it in the supercharger database, but not at the source, so it regularly reoccurs.

Also makes me wonder whether or not unscrupulous Tesla employees may have been adding friends and family cars to the "free supercharging" database, and this is an attempt to locate and remove those cars. Internal fraud is an issue many companies must deal with from time to time.

I've found throughout our ownership a small number of Tesla employees with the insight and connections to correct challenging to solve (non-standard issues) on the backend. With the sales staff laid off, your best bet is to find a customer-service manager that you can stay in touch with if the problem reoccurs again.

The suggestion to sell-back FUSC may be another worthwhile option for you. I've been considering it myself, as it seems unlikely that I will ever consume the entire amount given that the bulk of our charging is done at home. Even if I were to take ten cross-country trips, I still would not make it back -- I'm dreaming of making a single country trip, but haven't found the time!

This is very good advice, thank you so much. I'm retired now so I have time to fight it which I will.

This is very good advice. Thank you so much. I just retired. Was looking forward to some road trips and using my "free supercharging" I know it wasn't really free. I paid thousands for it. I was looking forward to using my prepaid supercharging.

Not factoring in tax change no. My car was 64k invoice for a P3d-. Today the standard P3D+ is $55k. So if I had bought PUP Id be sittting at a 16k loss. I don't typically consider tax incentives because not everyone can take them and my loan is based on full price, not tax benefits.

Whether you considered them incentives or not, Tesla priced their cars with their existence in effect.

Econ 1A says both producers and consumers benefit from subsidies.

Who gets a bigger share depends on the price elasticity of demand.

Way more people buying Teslas in 2018 have tax liability of 7500 than those who didn’t.

We know it’s not as good or efficient as an actual reduction of 7500 off the purchase price but it is what it is and better than nothing.

You get what you get and don’t throw a fit. :)

Last edited: