Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Feels like a space ship?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
WuPLwh6.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: ikjadoon and Carl
The million dollar question(s):
After the final reveal, will his tweet become obvious? If not, will he admit what he meant?
Also on April 3, 2016 (same day he tweeted "feels like a spaceship"), he tweeted this in response to a comment about "lack of dashboard/HUD": "It will make sense after part 2 of the Model 3 unveil" ( Elon Musk on Twitter ).

On October 19, 2016, he tweeted this about the product announcement that day: "This is also what I was alluding to by Model 3 part 2" ( Elon Musk on Twitter ). The product announcement that day was AP2 hardware and EAP/FSD capability on all future cars. Elon's tweet folded the Model 3 Reveal 2 into that announcement. So, it "make(s) sense" (for him and his designers at least) that with FSD, instrumentation traditionally found on the dashboard would not be needed/provided and that this would feel like a riding in a spaceship where the flight is fully automated. The "real steering controls and system" are the AP2 hardware and FSD.

Whether Elon meant this all along or whether he had something else in mind that was later abandoned/deferred (as some have speculated) is only known to Elon and some Tesla insiders, but his tweets on this subject don't belie the former. That's the problem with drawing conclusions based on terse and cryptic tweets. Someone mentions the term "HUD" in a comment about the sparse dashboard and Elon replies that it'll all make sense after the second reveal. Some interpreted the response to be a nod-nod-wink-wink admission that there indeed will be a HUD. But, taken at face value, that response could just as well have meant that their design choices on the dashboard and instrumentation, as shown in the alpha cars (and consistently maintained through the latest RC cars), will make sense after Reveal 2 (on 10/19/2016) when the underlying "steering controls and system" are unveiled.

Last edited:
Reactions: ikjadoon and JoaoD
Yes, and just so we are all on the same page...here's the EXACT tweet....

Elon Musk

✔@elonmusk

@HBL_Cosmin Wait until you see the real steering controls and system for the 3. It feels like a spaceship.

He specifically says the "steering controls and system", implying that what we saw in reveal 1 was not accurate. However, has anything about the steering controls or system changed since March 31st, 2016? I don't see anything that has made it any more "spaceship" like. I wish someone would press him on this to find out what happened with that, unless the steering wheels we have been seeing on the RCs are mules.

Unless, he was referring to what is displayed on the center screen, which we really have not yet seen in its entirety.

@ecarfan and @angelarm1110 - there is an explanation on another thread around here somewhere which made a lot of sense to me. That is, the poster theorizes that Elon in fact did mean a HUD when he tweeted about spaceship interiors. But something happened over the following months and the HUD got canned for Model 3 - and perhaps is coming instead first to S/X and will show up on 3 in a year or two. This would make sense because this theory accounts for the hiring of the Microsoft hololens folks and that guy who worked on the fancy motorcycle helmet with the built-in HUD, as well perhaps as the Volvo interior designer. Not a peep has been said about what those folks are up to but they were high profile hires clearly not made for no reason.

Maybe they just changed their minds...

This has been beaten to death but nothing has really changed from the night of the reveal and test drives. Drivers specifically stated there would not be a second display, so why we're still debating this is a mystery but I get that rehashing the same question over and over is part of the fun of the forum. Tesla doesn't do concept cars, what you see on reveal night is pretty close to the final car. As other posters has stated the Model 3 is like the Dragon capsule. Seats and monitors and not a whole lot more. So like a space ship!

Yes, and just so we are all on the same page...here's the EXACT tweet....

Elon Musk

✔@elonmusk

@HBL_Cosmin Wait until you see the real steering controls and system for the 3. It feels like a spaceship.

He specifically says the "steering controls and system", implying that what we saw in reveal 1 was not accurate. However, has anything about the steering controls or system changed since March 31st, 2016? I don't see anything that has made it any more "spaceship" like. I wish someone would press him on this to find out what happened with that, unless the steering wheels we have been seeing on the RCs are mules.

One of the better speculations that I've read on this goes as follows: This tweet was made just a few days after the initial reveal. As of that time, Tesla was still targeting a late 2017 release with scale up to 500,000 units per year by 2020. So this tweet occurred before they made the decision to drastically increase production plans.

Also, Elon later said they were laser focused on making sure the manufacturing ramp went smoothly even if it meant delaying some features.

My guess is that now the HUD will initially appear on the model S and X and only later on the model 3.

They probably determined they have enough M3 demand that they do not need this feature early on.

Sorry for the cross post, but my reply really applies to this thread...
In the RC sightings thread,

In response to the image below, trils0n, commenting on favo's post, said:

"Model 3 should have a very good view out the front, anyhow.
Agree, that picture makes it abundantly clear how low the dash is. Visibility will be great! "

To which I replied :
"I think we just discovered what the "Wait until you see the real steering controls and system for the 3. It feels like a spaceship." tweet meant!"

WdaRuG7.jpg

Zoom in on the M3 and compare it to the "regular" car on the right from a visibility perspective....

Sorry for the cross post, but my reply really applies to this thread...
In the RC sightings thread,

In response to the image below, trils0n, commenting on favo's post, said:

"Model 3 should have a very good view out the front, anyhow.
Agree, that picture makes it abundantly clear how low the dash is. Visibility will be great! "

To which I replied :
"I think we just discovered what the "Wait until you see the real steering controls and system for the 3. It feels like a spaceship." tweet meant!"

Zoom in on the M3 and compare it to the "regular" car on the right from a visibility perspective....
but... elon's tweet is referring to steering controls...

• Funny
Reactions: JoeCoolMan24
That "regular car" has a big block of metal in front of the driver. There's just no way to make the hood any lower. EVs have a big advantage in forward visibility -- if they are designed properly and not like a Bolt -- and the Model 3 front end reflects that. And by minimizing the Model 3 dash, Tesla increased that advantage in forward visibility. I think the forward view in the 3 is going to be amazing.