Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Feet are frozen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the life of me I can't keep my feet warm. Granted it is below zero here, but my feet are cold. I tried overriding the auto climate and directing it to the floor, but it's like not much air is directed there. When climate is on auto the rest of me and the cabin seem fine. Any advice other than purchasing electric socks?

Reactions: Bobbo8
The new update sucks. It used to be you could put the climate system on 'Auto', and turn off the AC compresser...now you can't. Mine takes 20 or 30 miles of driving to get the outside temp correct. So when I leave my garage, it reads 55 degrees, even when it's 30 outside... so the A/C starts running. It's crazy. Takes FOREVER for the temp reading to get to the correct outside temp. I now only use manual for climate control. Stupidly fixed something that was not broken.

Last edited:
I’m in a similar boat, but my cabin is actually cold while reporting 25 deg C. Service appointment for Wednesday.

Even on high heat, fan 10, and lower vents only, nearly no heat or airflow. Hopefully a software fix?

I think when directed to the floor vents most of the air comes out the vents for the rear seat passengers... try driving from the rear seat :D

An actual potential solution is to block off the rear seat floor vents to see if this forces more air out of the front seat floor vents.

Keith

Well, had an interesting drive home today with the climate control. About 160km, outside -8C. Avg speed, 95km/h. Latest 44.30 version from late last night.

Had the climate set to manual, 27C or HI, all combinations of settings from a/c on, off, to all vent combinations. NONE warmed the car up, or defrosted. Had to stop every 50km to 'scrape' the ice off the inside of the windshield, side windows - and the roof was almost about to rain should it have even heated up. Even tried driving with a window cracked open to exhaust any moisture. The family was cold/complaining the entire time...

Interesting part if when we stopped half way, opened the windows and stopped for 5 minutes (didn't leave the car), the heat suddenly cam blaring on, and melted everything away - and made almost every one start to sweat.... until we started driving and back to cold.

When we got home (was doing a quick turn to another destination), plugged in and put it on defrost (from the app) - everything melted and the car was piping hot. Turned it to Auto, 21C, keep climate on for about 15 minutes, and it seemed to hold the correct temperature.

Definitely seems like an 'only when driving' or the heat loss of the windows can't keep up with the climate system.

In for a service appointment Wednesday, but right now... safety hazard.

Anyone else experience any of this? Took delivery 12/26, with a 327xxx VIN (Mid-Dec MYP build)

I might have a fix for your cold feet! I have the opposite problem when my wife is passenger, my feet get way too hot! Why you ask? She puts her purse and large bag against the center console on the passenger side, blocking her airflow and forcing it all to my side. So as long as you don't have a passenger that will complain, try putting something on the floor against the console to redirect more air to the driver.

• Funny
Reactions: EVer Hopeful
I found the same problem during my first winter with MY. It seems that Tesla does not understand how the heater is used in really cold climates. All heat should be directed to the footwell, with some available for the windshield (but only when there is no road salt spray that will dry on the outside surface!). I have complained to Tesla that when I selected "feet only", my legs actually seemed to feel colder. Tesla Service told me that the cabin temp sensor doesn't measure correctly when the dash vents are closed, so the temperature reading may not reflect actual conditions. I don't know if this is really the case, but I've found that if I select the dash vents off, I have to crank the temperature setting up by about 3C to get a comfortable temperature around my legs.

I'm ok with having to turn up the temp.. my problem is that it doesn't actually generate any more heat... I think it is the cabin temp sensor, as it was about 12C in the cabin, and in the app it shows 29C.... for awhile thought it may have been my warm phone charging in the wireless spot (the cabin temp sensor is just above), so took it out... no change. And that 'area' below the screen did feel warm... well warmer than the rest of the car.

There is a bug in the current firmware where the heat doesn't work in really cold weather (like -10C and colder) in certain cases.

I experienced this on a 2500Km roadtrip and we lost heat completely for 3 hours to the point that water bottles in the car were starting to freeze.

I might have a fix for your cold feet! I have the opposite problem when my wife is passenger, my feet get way too hot! Why you ask? She puts her purse and large bag against the center console on the passenger side, blocking her airflow and forcing it all to my side. So as long as you don't have a passenger that will complain, try putting something on the floor against the console to redirect more air to the driver.
It doesn't seem to help me. I think all women (including my wife) put their purses on the floor next to them. I think it is a given. I don't even seem to be able where the front floor heat comes out.

Reactions: PatP
It doesn't seem to help me. I think all women (including my wife) put their purses on the floor next to them. I think it is a given. I don't even seem to be able where the front floor heat comes out.
I am going to have to comment on my own post:
Wife's purse on the floor has no effect on air flow.
This morning I played a bit with the hvac. I finally found where the air was coming from.
I put the floor heat on max and the fan speed on 10.
The air flow was coming from under the dash and nowhere close to the floor. There are no floor vents in the front, yes, there are floor air vents under the front seats that direct air to the rear of the cabin.
So IMHO it is a design problem. No wonder my feet freeze - even with the air directed to the floor in front.
But at least my knees will be warmed.
I guess I'm used to all my previous cars blowing hot air very near my feet and not my knees.
Third world problem - I know . . .

Reactions: CyberPilot
Perhaps this is the answer:
exhaust manifold heat riser tube.jpg

tape it to the vent opening under the dash and bend (direct) it onto your feet just to the left of the (clutch, or where the clutch should be.) ;)

Found my first gripe with the update: it doesn’t dhow in inches how close you are to things when backing up. Not sure if it did before but I thought it did. It’s like the back up sensors aren’t engaged.

Found my first gripe with the update: it doesn’t dhow in inches how close you are to things when backing up. Not sure if it did before but I thought it did. It’s like the back up sensors aren’t engaged.
I guess the reality is it isn’t needed with the cameras. The corner bumpers would be nice as well as audible alerts.