Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fell asleep using Autopilot - admission from a Model S owner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's very possible to nod off when driving normally or with Autopilot on. But I would much rather have Autopilot covering my back instead of likely veering off the road or into another vehicle.

If you're that tired, pull over and stop please! I would hate to see anyone get hurt.

I used to nod off on long trips. I would start thinking of a nice soft pillow. I stopped nodding off permanently over 30 years ago after staying up all night at an amusement park and falling asleep on the way home. I crossed the oncoming lane, hit a concrete structure for a culvert and rolled a few times in the ditch. I did discover that if you're going to total a car, you're better off being asleep. All 4 of us in the car were asleep without seat belts and no one was seriously hurt.

I've been quite drowsy without autopilot. I've never felt drowsy while using autopilot, but I think that's more a function of the sort of trips I've done lately than anything specific to autopilot... although autopilot could have something to do with it.

I can't imagine being so drowsy that I wouldn't notice the "hold the wheel" noise and sound system muting.

This is one of the factors in my consideration for buying Model S. I have had 2 or 3 experiences of drowsiness while driving and I usually take a break and nap for 10-15 min and am good to go. Nothing has ever happened but my wife is worried AP would make me more liable to fall asleep at the wheel. On the other hand, if I am going to be tired and drowsy perhaps having AP is safer than risk being drowsy in a Non-AP car?

I have to decide soon.

I can barely sleep in a comfortable bed away from home. I've slept on a flight on only a few occasions, and in those cases with great effort. I've never dozed in a car - as a passenger or driver. It's a bit of a curse in most situations, but I can say with pretty good confidence that I have very little concern about falling asleep sitting upright while hurtling down the highway.

Autopilot or not, I think that common sense needs to apply. First understand your limits with regard to the risk of falling asleep while driving a car, and respect those limits to avoid actually falling asleep. Not worth the risk. And yes, there were times when I pushed my limits more than was wise when I was younger.

That said, at its current stage of development autopilot is not good enough to use as a strategy for pushing the drowsiness limit. It still has bugs (off ramp confusion, braking too late approaching stopped vehicle at highway speeds, etc.) and even when it stops absent a response to a nag, being stopped with emergency flashers in an active traffic lane is not my idea of a safe place for a nap.

As to the OP's original question of whether AP makes drowsiness more or less likely, I think that it will vary a lot by individual, so I doubt that there is a simple answer applicable to everyone all the time.

I have never dosed off. but my mind does "think" and I find myself at my destination somewhat surprised how time had passed on the road. Sound familiar? Cell Phones don't help. I'm glad AP is also helping me, but I never feel safe enough to rely on it.

Interesting and real conversations need to be had about our technology and driving.

I had a recent sickness which unfortunately lasted 1 to 2 weeks. When I was driving my ICE, driving home on my commute was a struggle. At the worst stage of my illness, I was barely able to keep awake to make it home. I was drenched in sweat (from fever and stress) when I got home, and basically passed out once I got home. On the occasional days I was able to drive my wife's Tesla, AP made a HUGE difference. I was technically "drowsy" from my illness (not meds), but knowing the car was able to regulate itself made it so much easier.

Late at night, I have *almost* nodded off while using AP on a stretch of highway on my way home. If was past midnight after a wedding, I got in the carpool lane and turned on AP. I slowly began to nod off but I quickly realized I was going to low power hibernation mode and quickly woke myself up. I would have pulled over to take a break but I was just a few minutes from home so I rolled down the windows and drove the rest of the way home.

After that, if I'm REALLY tired or if it's REALLY late, I don't engage AP on purpose to ensure I don't fall asleep. Yep, gotta be careful about that. Obviously not an Autopilot problem, it's a human problem.

But then on the other hand, if I nod off while driving I would rather have AP on than not. So there's that too. It's kind of a mixed bag. But of course, don't drive while drowsy in the first place.

I challenge anyone to honestly say something like this hasn't happened to them at least once. Now, when it did, would you rather it happened with or without AP?
It's happened to me once years ago. Thankfully, only for a split second, and I was in the left lane, and my tires hit the rumble strip and woke me up instantly.

To answer your question? Yes, I would have preferred to have AP. But to play devils advocate, if I had AP, and dozed off, the sound of the tires hitting the rumble strips wouldn't have woken me up, how long would I be asleep for?

While personally I have never dozed off while driving, I have been a passenger in cars where the driver was drowsy, and it is quite scary (and with all kinds of tricks being tried like rolling down windows, bubble gum, turning on radio, etc).

Like others, given the same situation, I would much rather be in a car with AP than not. However, it is an interesting question to ask if people are more inclined to take the risk of driving drowsy when they know they have AP.