Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fender trim garnish - Anyone ever lose one randomly?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think hydroplaning through a puddle knocked mine off. Went to dinner Saturday night, and it was there when I came back to the car. Drove home in the pouring rain, though a good-sized puddle before sticking to the left lane to avoid more of them, and the next morning the fender trim on my passenger front fender is gone. Broke clean off with the USS sensor still dangling there (you can see the bottom front part is still held in with the clips).

Went to the driver side to check it out, and it was slightly loose. Popped the driver's front fender trim back in and got me worried about how easy it is for these garnishes to fly off from hydro pressure from driving through a puddle.

Attachments

• PXL_20230521_132238512.jpg
    PXL_20230521_132238512.jpg
    692.6 KB · Views: 183
I just had my right rear "garnish" piece come half-off while driving down the highway at about 70 mph. No water puddle involved. The back half was flopping ii the breeze and it scuffed up the side of the car. I have no idea why it came off, there hasn't been any damage there and nothing recorded in sentry.

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_8434.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_8434.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 79
I think hydroplaning through a puddle knocked mine off. Went to dinner Saturday night, and it was there when I came back to the car. Drove home in the pouring rain, though a good-sized puddle before sticking to the left lane to avoid more of them, and the next morning the fender trim on my passenger front fender is gone. Broke clean off with the USS sensor still dangling there (you can see the bottom front part is still held in with the clips).

Went to the driver side to check it out, and it was slightly loose. Popped the driver's front fender trim back in and got me worried about how easy it is for these garnishes to fly off from hydro pressure from driving through a puddle.

They're held in place with with friction. Only the bottom part of the trim is attached to the bumper, and that's with one Torx to the trim and one to the bottom of the bumper. Actually, it might be 1 or 2 to the bumper, it's been a bit since I've replaced mine.

I experienced the same issue today in the pouring NJ rain today. Interestingly its the passenger side front just like others. Was this fixed under warranty? Mine is a MY and its only 2 months old.

Attachments

• pic.jpeg
    pic.jpeg
    254.7 KB · Views: 17