Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fewer AVCON charging stations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is a thought - perhaps those EAA Avcon converter boxes should have had something other than a NEMA14-50 on the side? Like maybe a NEMA10-30?
That way some people wouldn't assume they can draw 40 amps through them.

For example, Martin's Roadster adapter apparently sets the pilot signal for 40 amps when you put a NEMA14-50 cable into his box. If you used the NEMA10-30 cable then it would send a 24 amp pilot signal which would be more friendly to the ICS-200.

It's a little late in the life of the product to be making such a change, but the driver could easily modify the delivered product if desired. Roadster owners are not the only buyers of these boxes.

The Roadster driver can set the a lower value (30A or 32A -- I'm not sure which) from the touch panel in the car.

Setting the lower value from the car is pretty easy, and the Roadster remembers last-used settings, using the GPS reading for each charging site used. So, the lower setting needs to be entered only once. If the driver forgets that first time, and it's an ICS-200, the driver will be reminded by the voice from the ICS-200 announcing overcurrent. No breaker tripping, no harm, no foul. We've had lots of Tesla drivers using ICS-200 charging stations, and no problems that I know of.

OK, thanks for all the time you put in addressing my concerns.

If you think occasionally triggering the over-current warning on the ICS-200 is OK then I will go with that.

I sent Martin a suggestion that he offer an (optional) NEMA14-50 cable in his kit with the diode config to tell the Roadster to draw 24amps (instead of 40) so those using the EAA adapter could have a cable config that just does the right thing without needing to go and change the VDS setting.

If more of these things are made, they ought to be user friendly enough that non EE's can use them without questions.

(edit: Switching the EAA box to have a NEMA10-30 instead of 14-50 on the side would be another way to make it tell Martin's kit to use an appropriate current level)

Last edited:
By the way, here was one of the sites advocating the home brew EVs use Avcon.
Currently, conversion EVs should seriously consider using the Avcon conductive connector. It's quite robust, a standard that is shared with production EVs and there are numerous charging stations in CA and AZ. It complies with current electrical code, specifically NEC Article 625. It costs a bit more than a NEMA 14-50 but the difference is not significant for a public charging station installation. It's a bit more significant though reasonable for a home self installation. If you're paying for someone to install, you should go with the Avcon. The NEMA 14-50 violate National Electrical Code when used for Electric Vehicle recharging.

So what is the recommended EV grade charge connector that home brew EVs should use right now? Tesla connector? (Not really available). J1772-2009 (not yet available). NEMA14-50? (it doesn't support pilot signals, finger touch safety, etc.) Since that old Avcon recommendation has "expired" what is the replacement? Don't build a "home brew" EV conversion until J1772-2009 is available?

This site is from 1997. Not entirely relevant today.

By the way, if you go here:
Internet Archive Wayback Machine
it shows when it was updated. Someone was updating it even through 2006.
(The dates with "*" show when it was updated)
For instance the old copies used to contain a bunch of Magna charger info that has since been removed.
If you go back to the Year 2000 version it says "Avcon Connector Still in standardization", so it isn't as if was all old info from 1997. The page didn't even add the recommendation to use Avcon for home brew EVs until the July 16, 2002 update.

I guess we wanted to save the old EVs from the crushers, but now we wish all their old standard charge connectors had been crushed after all. :eek:

So what is the recommended EV grade charge connector that home brew EVs should use right now? Tesla connector? (Not really available). J1772-2009 (not yet available). NEMA14-50? (it doesn't support pilot signals, finger touch safety, etc.) Since that old Avcon recommendation has "expired" what is the replacement? Don't build a "home brew" EV conversion until J1772-2009 is available?

The recommendation would be an Avcon inlet, but be ready to change to J1772-2009 in the future.

They pulled ours out about two month after I got the Roadster 2 years ago. I went in and made a stink (politely) and was eventually told it had come from corporate. The pads are still there but the charge area is now a "loading zone". Another argument against EVs getting the prime parking spaces.