Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fey fobs not found for 2019.32 security update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That does not make any sense unless you just got your car July, 2019 or later or perhaps if your key fobs were v1 and the fix is N/A. This fix was just developed in July, 2019 in response to a new threat. From an article in Wired. 8/27/2019.

“Tesla implemented the same fix to key fobs for all new Model S vehicles last month, so anyone who bought a Model S since then doesn't need to update”

Full article:
Hackers Could Steal a Tesla Model S by Cloning Its Key Fob—Again — WIRED
Can you let Tesla (service Center) confirm the key fob fix availability date for v2 keys and the reason I got the message "already up to date" for key fobs I got in January 2019 ! Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Can you let Tesla (service Center) confirm the key fob fix availability date for v2 keys and the reason I got the message "already up to date" for key fobs I got in January 2019 ! Thanks in advance
Will do on Friday. I spoke to my service center today. I was told that this issue was also reported by another owner and that they had kicked it up to somebody in engineering and we’re still waiting for an answer.
He also added my Model S remote update failure issue to the mobile service notes so that they could look at it when they come to my home to deal with our Model 3 on Friday as well. I’ll report back whenever I find out.

Will do on Friday. I spoke to my service center today. I was told that this issue was also reported by another owner and that they had kicked it up to somebody in engineering and we’re still waiting for an answer.
He also added my Model S remote update failure issue to the mobile service notes so that they could look at it when they come to my home to deal with our Model 3 on Friday as well. I’ll report back whenever I find out.
Thanks for your time.

Still haven't been able to update either of my key fobs, just keep on getting the "key fob not found at center console, please try again" error. I also get, maybe twice a month, "key fob not detected inside the car" error. Maybe those two errors are related?

Still haven't been able to update either of my key fobs, just keep on getting the "key fob not found at center console, please try again" error. I also get, maybe twice a month, "key fob not detected inside the car" error. Maybe those two errors are related?
Suggestions:
1. Only have one fob in range at a time.
2. Put in a fresh battery.
3. Try placing the fob flat side up.

Suggestions:
1. Only have one fob in range at a time.
2. Put in a fresh battery.
3. Try placing the fob flat side up.

I moved the key fog light to the left and it recognized the key fob (refer to my previous post).

I've tried all this - just one fob in the car, CR2032 replaced, all imaginable locations & positions tried on the center console, mobile phone in airplane mode etc.

I started to get the "key not detected" error in the car quite frequently, hope the battery replacement solved that.

I've tried all this - just one fob in the car, CR2032 replaced, all imaginable locations & positions tried on the center console, mobile phone in airplane mode etc.

I started to get the "key not detected" error in the car quite frequently, hope the battery replacement solved that.
I tried several times and always failed.
Then I moved the key fog light to the left and the key fob was detected.
BTW, the message tells that my 2 key fog (v2) were already updated.

IMG_3111.jpeg

IMG_3113.jpeg

Last edited:
I tried several times and always failed.
Then I moved the key fog light to the left and the key fob was detected.
BTW, the message tells that my 2 key fog (v2) were already updated.

View attachment 454143

View attachment 454144

I've tried also that exact location and having the fob lengthways, sideways, wheels down, wheels up..... I guess I just have to let the service to fix this connection problem, it may also have something to do with those "key not detected" errors.

My screen is saying i have a v1 key fob but my prod date is sept 2018. Thought all produced after june 2018 are v2?
Not sure when exactly the change happened. (When they ran out of v1 Fobs?)
Production dates can be imprecise.
Each Tesla has a “Birthday”
When it appeared on their network...
I managed to find out what it was for my Model S100D before delivery as I was trying to find out if I got the new MCU. Got lucky.
It was born on March 12, 2018. Production completed on March 14, 2018.
As I mentioned in a prior post, I upgraded my March ‘18 to v2 Key Fobs allowing me to leave one of my old Key Fobs (v1) paired. (3 keys max)
Normally I leave it with the battery out for security. Put me in a unique position to test the update on both versions. Properly ID’d all 3. So it is very likely that yours was also.

I’m having the same problem. Ugh... after this new software update I’m getting “key fob not detected inside car”. I have to use my app to drive and unlock. I have V1 key fob, replaced the battery... no help

I’m having the same problem. Ugh... after this new software update I’m getting “key fob not detected inside car”. I have to use my app to drive and unlock. I have V1 key fob, replaced the battery... no help

I had the same problem with only one fob a few updates ago. Basically, the update (car update, not fob update) caused the car to lose pairing with the fob. The only way to do a re-pairing was with a mobile tech visit. Scheduled it, got the appointment for 3 days later. Tech initially warned me it could be a bad fob, but then confirmed it was just not paired with the car, and this wasn't the first time he'd seen this. 15 minutes later everything was working again.

The service fixed the problem on my car - the antenna inside the center console was not properly connected.