Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fiat 500e EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got to autocross one a few weeks ago and wrote it up for AutoblogGreen.
I really liked it, though my time inside was limited to a parking lot. Would have been nice to take it for an extended spin. Still, at lower speeds, lots of fun.

fiat-500e-autocross-628.jpg

Good luck finding one at $24k... I've been to several dealers and they've all been adding a "Marketing Adjustment" approximately $3k for the lowest one...

It is a fun little drive...

Dennis
AEdennis for ActiveE Dennis... Soon to take delivery of Roadster #78 and November for our Model S delivery...

I think he means the $24K is after the $7500 rebate from the Feds and the $2500 rebate from the state. My wife loved the idea of an electric car, but wanted something much smaller than a Model S--easy to buzz around town and easy to park. She had been driving an Alfa Giulia Super for the last 10 years and wanted power steering and no shifting. She has been driving her bright orange 500e for the last couple of weeks--and loves it!

Have you driven the Fit EV or the Spark EV to compare with the 500e?

Just did a parking lot buzz in a Spark. Pretty good but the Fiat gets the "closest to Tesla for fun" award.

I wish I could figure out a reason to justify it! It looks like the dealers see the demand and are adding on all sorts of cr*p so they can mark it up. If only you could buy it on line like another manufacture we here know of...

Hope to drive a Fit someday. I know an owner but every time I meet him he is needing a charge!

Last edited:
Just did a parking lot buzz in a Spark. Pretty good but the Fiat gets the "closest to Tesla for fun" award.

I wish I could figure out a reason to justify it! It looks like the dealers see the demand and are adding on all sorts of cr*p so they can mark it up. If only you could buy it on line like another manufacture we here know of...

Hope to drive a Fit someday. I know an owner but every time I meet him he is needing a charge!

Thanks for the thoughts on the Spark. The 500e was out for me, as I needed 4 doors, but it's always good to hear honest comparisons.

Win a Fiat EV!

LOS ANGELES, Oct. 11, 2013 /PRNewswire/ --

• Ten all-electric Fiat 500e vehicles personalized by some of Hollywood's biggest stars, including Hugh Jackman,Anne Hathaway, Clint Eastwood, Ron Howard, Barbra Streisand and Hans Zimmer, among others, to be auctioned to support Motion Picture & Television Fund (MPTF)
  • One Fiat 500e will be auctioned LIVE at event
  • Nine Fiat 500e vehicles will be auctioned online on eBay Motors from Sat., Oct. 12 - Tues., Oct. 22, 2013
  • Each of the vehicles will have an etched signature on the FIAT glove box by the participating celebrity
  • Funds raised as part of "Into the Green" auction to benefit MPTF
  • Event to include performance with Hugh Jackman from his hit one-man Broadway show "One Night Only"
Hugh Jackman will host the upcoming Motion Picture & Television Fund (MPTF) "One Night Only" Special Benefit Concert onSat., Oct. 12, at 8 p.m. at The Dolby Theater in Los Angeles. The special event, sponsored by the FIAT brand, will feature a green-carpet outside the theater and include a performance with Jackman from his hit one-man Broadway show "One Night Only." During the evening's festivities, the Celebrity Fiat 500e "Into the Green" Charity Auction will begin, featuring ten all-electric Fiat 500e vehicles personalized by some of Hollywood's biggest celebrities. One Fiat 500e will be auctioned LIVE at the event, going to the highest bidder that evening. Nine Fiat 500e vehicles will be auctioned on eBay Motors. Proceeds will benefit MPTF. More information on the event can be found at www.ticketmaster.com/HughJackmanLive andwww.ebay.com/fiat500emptf, respectively.
(Photo: http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20131011/DE95605 )
The Celebrity Fiat 500e "Into the Green" Charity Auction features vehicles personalized by some of Hollywood's biggest stars, including Hugh Jackman, Anne Hathaway, Clint Eastwood, Ron Howard, Barbra Streisand and Hans Zimmer. During the event, one Fiat 500e will be auctioned off LIVE to the highest bidder. Nine additional Fiat 500e vehicles will be auctioned separately on eBay Motors. Each of the vehicles will have an etched signature on the FIAT glove box by the celebrity. All the funds raised during the event and ensuing auctions will benefit MPTF. The 10-day FIAT auction will start at 5 p.m. PT / 8 p.m. ET on Sat., Oct. 12, and ends on Tues., Oct. 22 at 5 p.m. PT / 8 p.m. ET. To join the online auction of the nine Fiat 500e vehicles, go towww.ebay.com/fiat500emptf.
"The FIAT brand's partnership with MPTF brings electric power and star power together for a good cause," said Jason Stoicevich, Head of FIAT Brand North America. "The funds raised as part our Celebrity Fiat 500e 'Into the Green' Charity Auction will help support the MPTF's initiatives, including services and environmental efforts."
The FIAT "Into the Green" Program, created in November 2012, was designed with the aim of promoting and raising awareness of the all-electric 2013 Fiat 500e. The VIP program loaned a Fiat 500e for periods of up to three months beginning in April. All proceeds from the Celebrity Fiat 500e "Into the Green" Charity Auction will support MPTF in providing its services of healthcare, financial relief and retirement living to the more than 150,000 people it helps yearly.
About FIAT 500e
With its iconic Italian style, world-class dynamics and environmentally-friendly zero-emissions design, the all-new 2013 Fiat 500e builds on the Cinquecento legacy, while offering customers a no-compromise electric vehicle (EV) that embodies the FIAT brand's simple, purposeful and fun-to-drive values. The Fiat 500e electrifies the Cinquecento lineup with even more innovation and style, an EPA tested 87 miles of best-in-class driving range and an industry-best 108 per gallon equivalent (MPGe) highway rating of pure battery-electric power. The all-new Fiat 500e arrived at FIAT Studios in California this summer.

About MPTF
For over 90 years, MPTF (Motion Picture & Television Fund) has served as a beacon of hope for entertainment industry members in their time of need. As a charitable organization, the MPTF provides financial assistance and services essential to the well-being of the community and is a leader in the development and implementation of services and programs for seniors and those who care for them. MPTF is supported by the generosity of corporate donors and fellow entertainment industry members who contribute their time and money because they believe in the critical importance of Hollywood Helping Hollywood. For more information, visit www.mptf.com.

The good news is, there are a bunch of them for sale, and there is no reserve.

The bad news is, they are used. So no federal tax credit, and in my state (WA) no sales tax waiver. In fact, they say the ownership transfer will be in CA - so I would have to pay CA sales tax in addition to shipping.

I just got off the phone form the ebay seller and the dealership from where these are coming. Seller was unaware there is such a thing as federal and state incentives. Nice lady on the phone but rather clueless. The dealership says they are "used". Mileage is exceedingly low especially considering someone (maybe the dealer) has placed HOV stickers poorly on these cars. Hmmm......I called back the ebay seller and suggested they add to the description that tax incentives are not valid with these.

Is the FIAT 500e special? Well, it sure is to me. For the first time in my 40 year marriage my wife is finally interested in cars!

My father tells me my first word was 'car.' I always loved cars. Especially sports cars. My first was an MG-TD. Great fun. Handled great; no guts; lots of fun. Then an MGB. When I finished my l-o-n-g education, my first brand new car was a FIAT 1800 Spider. It had a half bench seat in the back for my little kids. You'd do hard time these days for driving kids around in a car like that! I drove it for nearly 20 years as my daily driver. Next came a series of cars in my Alfa Romeo addiction period. (Still have two of them.) I drove my 1992 Alfa Romeo Veloce Spider daily for 15+ years. Never thought I would want another car. Well, my Tesla Roadster put the Alfa out to pasture. It is the best ever. Anyhow, all of this time my wife was very tolerant, but never really cared for any of it.

A couple of months ago she decided--first time ever--she wanted her own new car. Not just one of the pieces in my eclectic collection And, appreciating the technology of (our) Tesla, she wanted an electric. Not a Model S--great car (our son has one), but too big. She wanted something small that she could park easily. So, she drove a Leaf. +/-. She drove an RAV-4 and liked it very much, but we really didn't need an SUV. She wanted something small she could rat around town in. And carry stuff. And no manual steering or stick shift anymore (She got tired of my 1967 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sedan, imagine that?) We drove a humongous distance down to the FIAT dealer in Thousand Oaks to drive the gas FIAT 500 as the electrics weren't out yet. She decided that was 'the one.' We put down a deposit and had to wait a couple of months--and it arrived.

It was love at first sight! She is very conservative--and yet ordered an orange car? She wanted to be easily seen and not get run over by all the SUVs and Hummers on the road. She is a very, very conservative driver. I mean S-L-O-W. But with that electric car zip and no noise, she is now first off of ever light--and really zips around town! For the first time, she is enjoying my 'car addiction.' So any car that can to that to her, is really something special in my (humble) opinion!

And she is not the only one:

2013500e Review By Aaron D. Bragman

"The Fiat 500e may just be the best electric vehicle on the market right now. It's certainly the most fun EV since the Tesla Roadster." A little bit of a strong statement? Well, maybe. But drive one before you make up your own opinion!

Is the FIAT 500e special? Well, it sure is to me. For the first time in my 40 year marriage my wife is finally interested in cars!

My father tells me my first word was 'car.' I always loved cars. Especially sports cars. My first was an MG-TD. Great fun. Handled great; no guts; lots of fun. Then an MGB. When I finished my l-o-n-g education, my first brand new car was a FIAT 1800 Spider. It had a half bench seat in the back for my little kids. You'd do hard time these days for driving kids around in a car like that! I drove it for nearly 20 years as my daily driver. Next came a series of cars in my Alfa Romeo addiction period. (Still have two of them.) I drove my 1992 Alfa Romeo Veloce Spider daily for 15+ years. Never thought I would want another car. Well, my Tesla Roadster put the Alfa out to pasture. It is the best ever. Anyhow, all of this time my wife was very tolerant, but never really cared for any of it.

A couple of months ago she decided--first time ever--she wanted her own new car. Not just one of the pieces in my eclectic collection And, appreciating the technology of (our) Tesla, she wanted an electric. Not a Model S--great car (our son has one), but too big. She wanted something small that she could park easily. So, she drove a Leaf. +/-. She drove an RAV-4 and liked it very much, but we really didn't need an SUV. She wanted something small she could rat around town in. And carry stuff. And no manual steering or stick shift anymore (She got tired of my 1967 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sedan, imagine that?) We drove a humongous distance down to the FIAT dealer in Thousand Oaks to drive the gas FIAT 500 as the electrics weren't out yet. She decided that was 'the one.' We put down a deposit and had to wait a couple of months--and it arrived.

It was love at first sight! She is very conservative--and yet ordered an orange car? She wanted to be easily seen and not get run over by all the SUVs and Hummers on the road. She is a very, very conservative driver. I mean S-L-O-W. But with that electric car zip and no noise, she is now first off of ever light--and really zips around town! For the first time, she is enjoying my 'car addiction.' So any car that can to that to her, is really something special in my (humble) opinion!

"The Fiat 500e may just be the best electric vehicle on the market right now. It's certainly the most fun EV since the Tesla Roadster." A little bit of a strong statement? Well, maybe. But drive one before you make up your own opinion!

Why did she not drive the smart ED if she wanted something small? It's just as fun if not funner being the smallest legal car in the US, and just being a smart car in general, the 500e is a little bit quicker but the smart is plenty quick. Also cheaper, only reason i didn't get the fiat was them be dishonest about their advertised price, would have payed $4,000 more if i had gotten the 500e over the ED so the choice was obvious. I was at the Thousands Oaks dealer too.

Having driven the smallest cars for a year now i can say that no suv or truck has ever had authority over me, i dont worry about any vehicle on the road, i would say my car has been respected, and i will happily drive by a large truck with no worries or one of those lames that has a highered truck because he's insecure of his manhood... then i'll pull up next to him at the front of a light and smoke him and damage his ego. :cool:

Last edited:
On a completely different note...

Since I probably won't be participating, though I did get pre approved as a bidder. ending today and at prices less than what you would get at a dealer...

9 celebrity signed/configured Fiat 500e being auctioned off on eBay. Most are below the sticker AND the Fed and State Rebates (because their used, subtract $10k for California)

http://www.ebay.com/usr/mptvfund

Benefits the Motion Picture, Television Fund.

I'm not associated in them, just interested in EVs and really want a Fiat 500e, except my better half does not feel the same way... So we went another direction for our EVs.

I would love a Fiat 500e as a garage companion to my MS. The problem is they are only sold in Calif as a "compliance car". I even inquired about buying one in CA and trucking it out to Las Vegas, but was told service would be a problem and the local dealer would not be able to service it or honor the warranty. Anybody have any details on the motor, drive train, battery, etc? All Fiat made?

I would love a Fiat 500e as a garage companion to my MS. The problem is they are only sold in Calif as a "compliance car". I even inquired about buying one in CA and trucking it out to Las Vegas, but was told service would be a problem and the local dealer would not be able to service it or honor the warranty. Anybody have any details on the motor, drive train, battery, etc? All Fiat made?

Fiat 500e really was develop by Bosch. Electric motors, power electronics, batteries, and regenerative braking are from Bosch.

The manual says first service 20,000 miles or two years--whichever comes first.

My wife can't wait.
The FIAT 500e does have some interesting color options.
We're going to test drive the 500e in Riverside,CA tomorrow.

Anyone else drive one ?

----------------------------------------
TEST DRIVE.
The 500e is a "cute" car , interesting color options, with lot's of acceleration up to 45mph. I felt is was much more responsive than the 160hp Abarth.
As a small quick get around town car is would a great to have for 2-3 years at least until TESLA gets the Gen III model out.
Down Side - Show Stopper : Only sold in California and service is limited to a few dealers only, too far from where we are.

Last edited:
Why did she not drive the smart ED if she wanted something small? It's just as fun if not funner being the smallest legal car in the US, and just being a smart car in general, the 500e is a little bit quicker but the smart is plenty quick. Also cheaper, only reason i didn't get the fiat was them be dishonest about their advertised price, would have payed $4,000 more if i had gotten the 500e over the ED so the choice was obvious.

We've owned a Smart since they first came to the US in 2008 and have enjoyed using it as a "city car". We were going to trade it in for a Smart ED but have had a helluva time placing our order. We were caught in the model year changeover in Aug/Sept and then they wouldn't let the dealer order our desired configuration until December because they don't have some part for the Tech Package (nav and sound). Its now January and he still can't place the order.

Last weekend we went to the San Jose Auto Show and checked out all of the electric cars. My wife fell in love with an Electric Orange 500e with white/orange interior. She said it reminded her of her first car, a VW Bug. We test drove one this weekend and bought it! 3 feet longer than the Smart so there are a few parking spots in our town that will no longer work, but a lot more versatile with the back seat and 20 mile longer electric range. I really like the way it drives as well. I'll post some pics after we pick it up this Friday.

We've owned a Smart since they first came to the US in 2008 and have enjoyed using it as a "city car". We were going to trade it in for a Smart ED but have had a helluva time placing our order. We were caught in the model year changeover in Aug/Sept and then they wouldn't let the dealer order our desired configuration until December because they don't have some part for the Tech Package (nav and sound). Its now January and he still can't place the order.

Last weekend we went to the San Jose Auto Show and checked out all of the electric cars. My wife fell in love with an Electric Orange 500e with white/orange interior. She said it reminded her of her first car, a VW Bug. We test drove one this weekend and bought it! 3 feet longer than the Smart so there are a few parking spots in our town that will no longer work, but a lot more versatile with the back seat and 20 mile longer electric range. I really like the way it drives as well. I'll post some pics after we pick it up this Friday.
Orange with white interior--just what my wife got. She still loves it. I rented one of the original Fiat 500s in Italy in the 1970s and drove around the country. This car brings back those memories. Just like the new Mini brings back the memory of the original Mini Coopers. But both of these throwbacks are humongous cars compared to the originals!