Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fiat 500e EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last weekend we went to the San Jose Auto Show and checked out all of the electric cars. My wife fell in love with an Electric Orange 500e with white/orange interior. She said it reminded her of her first car, a VW Bug. We test drove one this weekend and bought it! 3 feet longer than the Smart so there are a few parking spots in our town that will no longer work, but a lot more versatile with the back seat and 20 mile longer electric range. I really like the way it drives as well. I'll post some pics after we pick it up this Friday.

500eFront3Quarter_zps6945151c.jpg

500eRear3Quarter_zpsca82e195.jpg

500eInterior_zps7537d689.jpg

If you haven't seen this already, you might enjoy Fiat 500: Speed of Sunshine - YouTube.
Let’s hope they don’t have an accident in that car (!) It won’t take much to cause fatalities to everyone in that little yellow original Fiat 500 in the Petrolicious video. Tried searching for a crash test video of an original 500. Couldn’t find one. I am really, really curious as to what such video footage would look like though…

But I did a picture-google for “fiat 500 accidenté”, and let’s just say that I wouldn’t want to be the person that was driving (?) the baby blue (?) one that’s first on that search result page (an original 500). Allegedly the other car was a Chrysler 300 M…

Last edited:
i want to drag race a 500e in my ED

too bad no one around me that i know of has one... but i could try the dealer
0HzEylm.png

me and the wife did already, me in the fiat and her in the honda fit ev.
1658512_10201553967511165_236706343_o.jpg

it was slow but hilarious.

Wooooooooooooowwwww.....

Fiat Chrysler CEO: Please dont buy Fiat 500e electric car - Yahoo Finance

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Fiat Chrysler Automobiles Chief Executive Sergio Marchionne has a request for potential buyers of the automaker's Fiat 500e electric car: Don't buy it. He's tired of losing money.
Speaking at a conference in Washington on Wednesday, Marchionne said Tesla Motors Inc was the only company making money on electric cars and that was because of the higher price point for its Model S sedan. Decrying the federal and state mandates that push manufacturers to build electric cars, Marchionne said he hoped to sell the minimum number of 500e cars possible.
"I hope you don't buy it because every time I sell one it costs me $14,000," he said to the audience at the Brookings Institution about the 500e. "I'm honest enough to tell you that."

Last edited:
Many conventional manufacturers will do everything they can to badmouth EV technology, even build deliberately money-losing cars to prove their point... right up until they go out of business because they can't compete with EVs. That day is coming.

my favorite thing about compliance cars are that they are damn near the best versions of their platforms.
the honda fit ev is such a great all around car. the fiat 500e is second fastest only to the abarth and makes the gas pop look like a half attempt at a car.

unfortunately i have no experience with the spark or smart... but im sure with electric oomf they are better than there gas spec sisters.

Many conventional manufacturers will do everything they can to badmouth EV technology, even build deliberately money-losing cars to prove their point... right up until they go out of business because they can't compete with EVs. That day is coming.

I test drove the Leaf, Fiat and Ford Fusion EV's the other day. Fiat too small, poor crash test ratings, Leaf very nice overall, Ford was very nice as well. Right now there is an addition $6,000 off on the Ford in California, making it $19,000 after rebates and it is more luxurious than the Leaf. But if we do buy my wife an EV soon, I think we have to go with the Nissan. They deserve the support for having the confidence to push EV's forward. I'm a buy, not lease kinda' guy.

Sounds like a bluff to try and make the regulators feel bad. Even if it was true the term "cost me" could also be misleading and in many cases meaning a reduced profit margin. Can't make me feel sorry for FIAT. I think they still make money on these cars. They'd make more if they sold more and get their cost down / profits up with mass production
I came here to specifically get the low down on this.

The base gas model of the Fiat 500 costs $16,195. Presuming they make $0.00 profit off the gas model, then the 500e, which lists for $32,300 MUST cost 46,300 to produce meaning there is an additional $30,105 in tech/materials in the 500e over the base gas model. I know batteries are expensive, BUT a high estimate says the battery costs about $350 per KWH. For 24 KWH that totals $8400, or $24595. That means there MUST be another $21,705 dollars worth of tech and materials in the 500e over the base gas model and the battery in order for them to lose $14,000 per car.

Can that even be remotely true? Are electric car motors that expensive. I must profess my ignorance on the inside numbers game in the auto industry. Does that make sense to anyone here who does know that stuff? Because to a layman, that sounds inconceivable.

I appreciate your thoughts on this.

- - - Updated - - -

my favorite thing about compliance cars are that they are damn near the best versions of their platforms.
the honda fit ev is such a great all around car. the fiat 500e is second fastest only to the abarth and makes the gas pop look like a half attempt at a car.

unfortunately i have no experience with the spark or smart... but im sure with electric oomf they are better than there gas spec sisters.
According to the reviews, the Spark Ev is far superior to the gas Spark. Beats gas Sparks EV does 0-60 in 7.6. The gas Spark does 0-60 in 11 seconds. It also has a whopping 400lb-ft of torque.

I came here to specifically get the low down on this.

The base gas model of the Fiat 500 costs $16,195. Presuming they make $0.00 profit off the gas model, then the 500e, which lists for $32,300 MUST cost 46,300 to produce meaning there is an additional $30,105 in tech/materials in the 500e over the base gas model. I know batteries are expensive, BUT a high estimate says the battery costs about $350 per KWH. For 24 KWH that totals $8400, or $24595. That means there MUST be another $21,705 dollars worth of tech and materials in the 500e over the base gas model and the battery in order for them to lose $14,000 per car.

Can that even be remotely true? Are electric car motors that expensive. I must profess my ignorance on the inside numbers game in the auto industry. Does that make sense to anyone here who does know that stuff? Because to a layman, that sounds inconceivable.

I'm not an auto industry insider, but I have two ideas about this:

1) Fiat sources the battery/drivetrain from Bosch, who must also make a profit, so maybe that inflates the cost vs. an internally sourced ICE drivetrain.

2) I believe the auto industry bakes in the R&D cost of a product line when calculating its profitability. With low volume the R&D cost per car is going to be very high. Which makes Marchionne's statement disingenuous because higher volume would lower the R&D expense and net loss per unit sold.

With low volume the R&D cost per car is going to be very high. Which makes Marchionne's statement disingenuous because higher volume would lower the R&D expense and net loss per unit sold.

Yup. Not to mention part prices vary over a very wide spectrum based on volume. Any "per-car" pricing info is completely meaningless without a volume discussion.

If you're going to make as few as possible (of ANY car; but this is Fiat's express plan for EVs), then yeah, profitability will be elusive. That's why automakers typically aim for volume vehicles, share platforms, etc. Limited production vehicles are typically very expensive "halo" vehicles that are part marketing expense. Limited production cheap vehicles don't make sense, and they know that - but they are sticking with that plan anyway - the only explanation is that they hope the laws will change again. Putting pressure on lawmakers to change the laws is the only reason I can think of for an industry executive to ask customers to not buy their product.

Most other automakers are not so forward; but they too don't like trying to convince their dealers to take on the extra work to sell PEVs; and given that the dealers are their only legal sales channel, if the laws do change most of the cars would disappear overnight, just like last time. (But different this time is that SOME of the cars would stay).

1) Fiat sources the battery/drivetrain from Bosch, who must also make a profit, so maybe that inflates the cost vs. an internally sourced ICE drivetrain.
In this case this is not the case. Should FIAT develop their own electric drivetrain and sell it in same numbers, their loss would be much higher.

2) I believe the auto industry bakes in the R&D cost of a product line when calculating its profitability. With low volume the R&D cost per car is going to be very high. Which makes Marchionne's statement disingenuous because higher volume would lower the R&D expense and net loss per unit sold.
It only shows their will which is to NOT make electric cars. His statement is political pressure against legislature i.e. he is saying "you are forcing us to loose money".