Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fiat 500e EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Electric Humor

So....on the way to the airport this week, I took this photo through the window of my Tesla. It is a rare Fiat 500e (California Compliance Car) sporting a very clever "4GOT OIL" license number. The license is in a Tesla frame saying, "MY NEXT CAR IS ELECTRIC!" Cute!

Attachments

• Fiat 500E.JPG
    Fiat 500E.JPG
    540.8 KB · Views: 793
What colors? How many drivers in the family?

I'd love a Fiat 500e. Used to want the orange one, now the classic baby blue is nice.

As you can tell from the photo, my Roadster is Electric Blue. My wife's FIAT 500e is orange. That is a unique color to electric FIATs. She didn't want a large car so the Model S was out. She wanted to make sure other drivers could see her, and she is very happy with her choice.

My son's Model S is Signature Red--also a unique color. My daughter in law and her mother both have pearl white FIAT 500e cars. My son also has a Model X on order--who knows what color that will be?!

The 500e is a great car for driving in the city. Of all the cars we have had over the years, it is the first one my wife really loves!

In my neighborhood we have a silver one and a dark grey one. Both of these colors are my favorite on the 500e. If it wasn't for such terrible crash tests, I'd buy one today!
I had the same reservation when my wife wanted to buy one. She's such a safe driver however and considering the statistical odds of a serious head on crash with city driving etc.., we went ahead anyway.
Any we both love it. ( not as much as the Model S for me :smile:) but it is fun to drive for a small car.
Funky retro blue color and white interior. Great second car

I've been seeing a lot of these around Silicon Valley. One of my wife's Facebook friends posted that they got a group of 7 friends together and got an amazing deal on the 500e. $2,500 down to be recovered by CA state rebate, 35 more payments of only $85. Total of less than $3,000 to use the car for up to 30,000 miles over 3 years.

It'd be hard to pass up that offer if I came across it. I was just looking at cheap EV leases this morning and saw that Chevy is offering $0 down and $177/mo for 36 months/30,000 miles on the Spark EV. Ultimately though, I think I'd pay the extra ~$900 for the rear doors of the Spark.

I've been seeing a lot of these around Silicon Valley. One of my wife's Facebook friends posted that they got a group of 7 friends together and got an amazing deal on the 500e. $2,500 down to be recovered by CA state rebate, 35 more payments of only $85. Total of less than $3,000 to use the car for up to 30,000 miles over 3 years.
Woah. So, you're saying the total cost of lease of a 3 year/30K mile lease was ~$5475, not including the benefit of the $2500 CVRP? If so, they put down just $2500, right?

Were those $85 monthly payments before or after tax?

If so.... hmm. This sounds potentially rather interesting for me, if I end up turning in my Leaf in a bit over 4 months, when its lease runs out. I'd probably want 12K miles/year (like I have now) instead of only 10K/year.

OT: What's a good forum to discuss the 500e? Fiat 500e Forum View active topics seems to have very little activity. They seem to be under the same parent company that mynissanleaf.com is (My Electric Car Forums | Electric Vehicle Forums and News), but MNL obviously has WAY more traffic and is AFAIK, the best place to discuss Leafs amongst American Leafers, bar none.

Last edited:
It'd be hard to pass up that offer if I came across it. I was just looking at cheap EV leases this morning and saw that Chevy is offering $0 down and $177/mo for 36 months/30,000 miles on the Spark EV. Ultimately though, I think I'd pay the extra ~$900 for the rear doors of the Spark.

I'd definitely recommend extended test drives in both vehicles before making that decision.

FWIW, one of my friends who's into cars told me about his experience w/the ICE Fiat 500 that he had as a rental for a weekend. Hope he doesn't mind me posting....

"The short wheelbase makes every bump in the road feel like a jump ramp. Corresponding twitchy steering response makes it feel unstable at highway speeds. A fact not helped by the high seating position.

Hated it."

For the EV, I don't think the seat position's changed, nor has the wheelbase. Unsure how different the suspension feels and whether the steering's any better.

I've personally only driven the the ICE and EV versions once each and only for fairly short test drives at car events. I didn't find the car particularly objectionable from the above POV...

Last edited:
FWIW, one of my friends who's into cars told me about his experience w/the ICE Fiat 500 that he had as a rental for a weekend. Hope he doesn't mind me posting....

"The short wheelbase makes every bump in the road feel like a jump ramp. Corresponding twitchy steering response makes it feel unstable at highway speeds. A fact not helped by the high seating position.

Hated it."

For the EV, I don't think the seat position's changed, nor has the wheelbase. Unsure how different the suspension feels and whether the steering's any better. I've personally only driven the the ICE and EV versions once each and only for fairly short test drives at car events.

I actually have rented the ICE Fiat 500 and agree that it is not a very good car... The EV version, however, is a blast to drive (did a bunch of test drives). I found it to be almost as fun to drive as a Roadster.

Out of curiosity, do you say that because there's one that you prefer over the other or would you just not recommend either of them?

I own a Fiat 500e and really like it, both in form and in functionality. I saw it at the San Jose Auto Show about a year ago, and also saw the Spark EV there and sat it one. We immediately set up an appointment to test drive the Fiat, but did not give the Spark a second look. So I can't pass judgment on the Spark because I simply was not attracted to it. My thought was that with an extended test drive you might find how much you would value the rear doors/rear seat room relative to other pluses and minuses of both cars.

I actually have rented the ICE Fiat 500 and agree that it is not a very good car... The EV version, however, is a blast to drive (did a bunch of test drives). I found it to be almost as fun to drive as a Roadster.

Also driven an 500e, I also found it a fun to drive also, I think the added weight of the battery helps with the stability. Also turns out my wife rather drive the 500e than my roadster :(