Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fictional Concept: Sliding "Falcon Wings" for Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AnxietyRanger

Aug 22, 2014
EU
After the discussion on Falcon Wing doors on Model Y making sense or not - the concensus being, I guess, that their value vs. utility contraints is limited beyond child seat and perhaps third row access - it occurred to me if Tesla might be considering or at some point might have considered some alternative door designs and what those could be.

Of course the simple answer is a Model Y with regular doors or a Model X type of setup. Alternatives could be something already seen, a sliding rear door like minivans, suicide doors akin to BMW i3 or simpler, cheaper gull-wings without the second hinge or one large falcon/gull wing on both sides. All of these alternatives listed, to me, seen much less likely than regular front/back doors or rear Falcon Wings, though, probably for obvious reasons.

However, just as fun (fan?) fiction, what if Tesla were to be breaking new ground with the Model Y doors and decide to evolve the Falcon Wing concept, what could they do that would offer significant benefits while remaining true to the size and type of Model Y and retaining the halo factor a little?

Here's my fanciful idea: Sliding gull wing doors

I am using Model X here for practical reasons, but the idea is to conceptualize a fictional sliding gull wing Model Y:

2urQtGx.jpg

The benefits of the design:
- Perhaps a simpler design mechanically, basically a moving arm/rail on the middle of the roof that can hold, lift/push out and move the door (similar to sunroofs than open outwards), no hinges on the door itself.
- Could be offered as manual or electric depending on, say, whether or not the car has a Premium Upgrade Package since no sensors or automated variable-opening hinges are needed.
- Would leave a Falcon Wing -like opening in the roof, easing child seat access/standing/egress on the second row, the main practical benefit noted on the Falcon Wings by Model X owners on TMC.
- With no need to access a third row (none expected on Model Y), it doesn't matter if the door opening isn't as large towards the rear making the idea more suited for Model Y.
- Free of the opening limitations (e.g. garages) of Falcon Wings, while retaining opening benefits in tight parking spaces.
- Design-wise, the sides of the car could be free of ghastly rails and lessening that minivan feeling. A better design than the concept above, could definitely still look cool/special
- Notes: My concept image of Model X still looks minivan-ish and obviously looks "wrong" because we are so used to the Model X appearance already. Opening door section for a sliding gull wing could be shaped differently than here (smaller).

There are definite cons to this idea as well:
- It would be a new design, with not much benefit of learning from the Model X Falcon Wing design.
- There might be structural issues or requirements making such a movement for the door impractical/impossible.
- It would - again - make it harder to impletent roof racks, though possibly a workaround using the middle area of the roof or very rear of the car for some proprietary rear rack holder could be easier than on Model X because no parts of the doors necessarily extend very far up.
- Most importantly, will never happen.

What do you think of this and what other door concepts for a fictional Model Y might there be?

Reactions: omarti
Do you think a young, "disrupting" startup like Tesla might have become mainstream enough to see this and think, "But not invented here"?
I would worry the cavity into which the door retracts would get wet and filthy and become unreliable, but it looks very interesting!
Robin

I know this is blasphemy to say this, but I really do want a Tesla Minivan. The X is great, but because it can't fit 8 passengers and because you can't fold or remove the 2nd row seats, we had to keep the Honda Odyssey for those rare once or twice a month scenarios we need to fit 8 people or carry cargo. As for the doors, I think the limiting factor is how far back the door can slide. If it can slide far enough back that the entire door opening is usable, then great. Other issue with a sliding falcon door is that if the top slides back too, it would expose passengers to rain. At this point, the door wouldn't really matter to me. Any solution with 8 seats and folding/removable 2nd and 3rd row would be fine I think.

Reactions: garsh
Looks like a standard sliding minivan door to me. Not sure I see the "gull wing" aspect of it in your rendering. As much as Elon has touted the falcon wing doors' superiority to sliding doors, I can't see him suddenly embracing the latter in the Model Y.

It probably isn't completely clear from my concept, but the idea is that the sliding door is the same shape as Falcon Wing on Model X, so it exposes a hole in the roof as well (I called it a gull wing because it does not use a double hinge).

Instead of a hinge to open up, the "gull wing" in the concept would pivot or slide outwards and backwards (and a little upwards). It would expose a hole in the roof when open.

There is no side rail in this concept like in minivan sliding doors, instead a opening mechanism in the roof.

What if it snows?

Good point. Clearly a problem with my design is snowing/raining! Opening the door would offer even less protection than a Falcon Wing does because the door would slide away from the roof opening.

Reactions: Nocturnal
Looks like a standard sliding minivan door to me. Not sure I see the "gull wing" aspect of it in your rendering. As much as Elon has touted the falcon wing doors' superiority to sliding doors, I can't see him suddenly embracing the latter in the Model Y.
I believe he is indicating that a portion of the roof line is cut open for a horizontal section of the sliding door, kind of L-shaped. I like it.