Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Filter by Hotels with PlugShare

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am a bit confused as I checked with my desktop via Chrome and upgraded my Android App and in neither can I find the Hotel filter. It is a great addition but how does one find it or activate it? Thank you

On the Tesla version of the desktop you click on the gear icon to the left of the search box. Then on scroll down to find the hotel filter.

Currently this hotel filter feature is not available on Android mobile applications.

Larry

I am a bit confused as I checked with my desktop via Chrome and upgraded my Android App and in neither can I find the Hotel filter. It is a great addition but how does one find it or activate it? Thank you
As Larry mentioned, the hotel filter is only implemented on the Tesla-specific web site (tesla.plugshare.com). As a workaround until it's implemented elsewhere, there's nothing stopping you from going to tesla.plugshare.com on your desktop or Android web browser. Fair warning, though: I tried it on my iPhone and it was unusable due to the screen size and relative font sizes. Works fine on my iPad though, so it might be OK on an Android tablet.

Edit to add: the hotel filter is only as good as their data, of course. I've submitted a handful of problem reports (using the main desktop site) for hotel locations that don't appear in the hotel filter, and I'd encourage others to do the same. So far they seem to be pretty quick to fix them. Ideally, of course, something like "this is a hotel" will just become another checkbox on the main add/edit dialog.

Last edited:
I was wondering if the hotel filter could be modified to "hotels with chargers" and and "chargers near hotels".

The second one would be chargers within a reasonable walking distance, say 1/4 mile. We charged at a Nissan dealer that was 3 blocks from the hotel we stayed at once. The current filter doesn't show that charger. The second filter would show such a charger.

Why is there a tesla version at all? Seems odd to assume that only Tesla owners care about this sort of thing. Even if that's the practical reality, don't we want to encourage hotels to offer chargers? Having this info available to all EV owners is good exposure for them. Hotel owners understand this and it would help motivate them to add chargers.

As to "PlugShare" innovating fast. People have been asking for this for at least a year, they don't have it on android and it's only a tesla specific site on the desktop. I think that qualifies more for foot dragging than innovation.

Last edited:
I was wondering if the hotel filter could be modified to "hotels with chargers" and and "chargers near hotels".

The second one would be chargers within a reasonable walking distance, say 1/4 mile. We charged at a Nissan dealer that was 3 blocks from the hotel we stayed at once. The current filter doesn't show that charger. The second filter would show such a charger.

We are considering implementing this as well as other Point of Interest data and chargers in relation to those POI.

- - - Updated - - -

Why is there a tesla version at all? Seems odd to assume that only Tesla owners care about this sort of thing. Even if that's the practical reality, don't we want to encourage hotels to offer chargers? Having this info available to all EV owners is good exposure for them. Hotel owners understand this and it would help motivate them to add chargers.

As to "PlugShare" innovating fast. People have been asking for this for at least a year, they don't have it on android and it's only a tesla specific site on the desktop.

Phil,

This feature is demanded most by the Tesla community, because Tesla drivers are able to travel farther on a range and have better access to quick charging technology such as the Supercharger network. Other EV drivers do care about this, but from our research and analysis Tesla owners are the key demographic to cater to first.

Adding this feature to Android is on our roadmap. We started in iOS as BETA a few months ago so it is available to other EV drivers, and then implemented it into our Tesla optimized browser. Improvements and upgrades are always on the horizon.

Thanks,

Jordin

On my cross country journey, I always used plugshare while in the hotel the night before. I have to admit the 3G signal is really just too slow to do serious browsing.

Basically, it's good enough so that the passenger can use Yelp for restaurant reviews, look at the weather, or find a B&B to stay at (assuming you haven't planned ahead). You can't really do much else with it, and that was probably the idea.

yes, I get it. My point was why not make the hotel option available to all on the desktop. For trip planning, I usually use a PC and do it before I start driving.

We have plans to implement the hotel search into plugshare.com and Android. At the moment, the hotel filter can be accessed through our mobile app for iOS, which includes non tesla owners, and it is included in tesla.plugshare.com our Tesla specific optimized browser.