Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Final Decision, 14-50 or Wall Connector?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Most don't *need* it. But especially if you have time-of-use rates, swapping plugs isn't as convenient (or, rather, is more inconvenient) than you describe. It's just a nice-to-have, and in relation to the investment in the vehicles it's not expensive.

Ah, I forgot about those stupid TOU plans.

But even then, I can't imagine both people having to drive so much they need to charge everyday. But if you have to drive a lot, might as well be a Tesla.

Reactions: Kleenerth3
Looks like you're in DC. As you may be aware, you can deduct 50% of the cost of installing an EVSE (max $1k credit for residential) from your DC tax return. Assuming the cost of your install is not going to push above $2k, you're effectively getting the HPWC for 50% off. While I don't think this provision in the tax code is going to change anytime soon with the climate push the city is making, I'd take advantage of the benefit just in case. I think an HPWC is a pretty good deal for $250, considering it gets you faster charging and has a few other ancillary benefits like looking nicer. I have one for an outdoor install and have been very satisfied (although I'm on a 30 amp circuit and have an SR+, so the speed makes no difference).

I leave the adapter plugged into the socket and unplug that from the Tesla cord and unplug the other end of the cord from my car every morning. No need to lug the cords around all day.

Why don’t you just unplug the car end? Leaving the 14-50 cord hanging plugged into the socket doesn’t seem very safe practice, plus if you disconnect that part first before disconnecting the car end you may damage the connector if any current is still flowing through (Tesla may use the connector even if it’s not actively charging).

:)Since I decided on a Tesla Model 3, just seemed natural to go with the HPWC. I already had a Leviton 40A EVSW from previous EVs. Still use to charge my Chevy Bolt and Prius Plug In. I like the Tesla EVSE appearance, sleekness, and the availability to charge at home at the highest rate available. Decide what works best for you situation.

If you're going to keep a mobile connector in the car, the wall connector will cost little more than a second MC, a GFCI breaker, a good 14-50 outlet, a cord hanger, and the 14-50 MC adapter.

And it delivers 48 amps to your car.
And it load shares with other wall connectors.
And it has a longer, thicker cord.
And it is hard wired for a reduced chance of failure.
And it is more water resistant.
And it looks cool.

Part of the fun of an EV is reducing to almost zero the thoughts of daily fuel state. Part of that, to me, is not thinking about the location of my connector for emergencies, since I keep the MC in the car at all times. Overkill? Perhaps, but for me, it's five seconds in the morning plugging in the wall connector, five seconds in the evening, and only thinking about cables and SOC when we go out of town.

A second UMC is $20 more than a HPWC.

The Gen 2 UMC is $275. The Gen 1 is $520. The Gen 1 will charge at 40A while the Gen 2 is limited to 32A.

I initially went with the 14-50. After a few weeks, I decided I wanted faster charging, so I purchased an OpenEVSE 40A charger as a kit. It was on sale for $400 at the time. Overall, this was a bit cheaper than the HPWC. If I had to do it over again, I might have gone with the HPWC initially, but I think they were out of stock when I got my car and I would not have wanted to wait for reasonable charging. I got the 14-50 installed 2 days after taking delivery of the car. Of course it worked fine with the UMC until I got the OpenEVSE box.

• Informative
Reactions: rhaekar
The UMC is totally fine for most people. I suspect 32A charge rate is going to serve most people just fine. Its fast enough for an overnight charge even from dead on a NEMA 14-50.

But yeah, the wall connector looks cool, and typically is slightly easier to use since its wall mounted with an integrated cord hanger and hook for the plug. So basically, if you're not super concerned about the additonal cost, and value the slight improvements to potential charge speed and ease of use, go with the wall connector. Otherwise the UMC will serve fine.

Probably avoid charging off 120V with the UMC daily though. Thats SUUUPPPER slow and not the best experience unless you never drive more than single digit miles a day and dont experience cold weather.

I don't like not having the mobile connector with me in the car for emergencies. I certainly would not deal well with plugging and unplugging the mobile connector every time I charge either, nor do I think the 14-50 plug would hold up to the constant wear and abuse of plugging and unplugging. It's meant to be used in a pinch or when traveling to sites without proper EV charging solutions. Spend the money and do things right; get an HPWC and install it. Your life will be so much better. :D Well, OK, your charging experience will be so much better. :)

The Gen 2 UMC is $275. The Gen 1 is $520. The Gen 1 will charge at 40A while the Gen 2 is limited to 32A.

I initially went with the 14-50. After a few weeks, I decided I wanted faster charging, so I purchased an OpenEVSE 40A charger as a kit. It was on sale for $400 at the time. Overall, this was a bit cheaper than the HPWC. If I had to do it over again, I might have gone with the HPWC initially, but I think they were out of stock when I got my car and I would not have wanted to wait for reasonable charging. I got the 14-50 installed 2 days after taking delivery of the car. Of course it worked fine with the UMC until I got the OpenEVSE box.

Ah, my mistake. Didn't even know you could buy gen 1's anymore.

I had a 14-50 installed in my garage. About 35' of cable needed to run it to the location I wanted. Cost me $300 to get installed by an electrician. I bought a second UMC, a used Gen1 off another Tesla owner for about $200 through Craigslist and it works great to charge my AWD LR. I keep it plugged into my 14-50 and charge my car at home with the UMC Gen1 giving me 40 amps and charging up to 37 MPH although it can sometimes go as low as 35. I keep the Gen2 in the car in case I go on a road trip.

Probably avoid charging off 120V with the UMC daily though. Thats SUUUPPPER slow and not the best experience unless you never drive more than single digit miles a day and dont experience cold weather.

Single digits is a bit of an exaggeration. I drive 40 miles a day and live in Colorado and the 120V did just fine until I had my apartment install a 14-50. It charged it back up to 80% with plenty of time to spare. And yes, we did have a few cold days and still did fine.

Single digits is a bit of an exaggeration. I drive 40 miles a day and live in Colorado and the 120V did just fine until I had my apartment install a 14-50. It charged it back up to 80% with plenty of time to spare. And yes, we did have a few cold days and still did fine.

As a temporary solution it’s probably going to get the job done, but it sure ain’t luxurious. You always know it’s going to need to be plugged in all day, and in very cold weather there’s not enough energy to heat the battery and charge at the same time. It’s not that you can’t do it, of course you can. But relying on requiring 8 hours of plugged in time every day to maintain charge is likely to be fatiguing to most long term. And if you go for a longer drive over the weekend, it might take all week to get topped back up.

Moving from a standard 5-15 to even a 6-20 would be totally fine for most. But ~1kw charge rates are brutal if it’s well below freezing and your cars parked outside. Charge rates are super duper slow when the car needs to heat the battery on a 15A 120V circuit.

I originally was just going to use my UMC so I had a NEMA 14-50 put in. Then I found a great deal on a gen 1 UMC which charges faster so keep my gen 2 in the Frunk. I’ve used it a total of Zero times over the year. For a very short time Tesla offered a corded wall connector, now they just have the corded mobile connector.