Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Final Trade-In Offer 25% Less

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good advice on a private sale or local dealer. I'm reluctant to sell to a private party because I'd rather not have people coming to my house.
No FSD on this car.

I actually don't mind a "lowball" trade-in offer: Tesla is running a business after all. I just wish they had come in with their $31K offer first (or $35K or whatever), rather than $43K dropped down to $31K.
You also need to factor in the sales tax credit if you trade- in to Tesla. So that $31K offer really equates to $33K off the price of your new vehicle. Along with no haggling and no people coming to your home... But still a huge difference from their first offer.

Good advice on a private sale or local dealer. I'm reluctant to sell to a private party because I'd rather not have people coming to my house.
No FSD on this car.
Well, I sold all of my previous 9 cars to private party. Never had them come to my house. I would meet them in front of the police department. All sales were no problem and I got a lot more money each time.

Reactions: TFCooper3 and myoda
I took my car to Carmax and a local KBB-affiliated dealer. Carmax said $39,000 and the local dealer honored the KBB quote of $40,650. After taking into account lost sales-tax savings, KBB is still over $6,000 better than Tesla.

The Tesla guy said today that if I re-ordered, they'd credit me the $250 that I gave up when I canceled the first order.

So what do you guys think I should do?

I took my car to Carmax and a local KBB-affiliated dealer. Carmax said $39,000 and the local dealer honored the KBB quote of $40,650. After taking into account lost sales-tax savings, KBB is still over $6,000 better than Tesla.

The Tesla guy said today that if I re-ordered, they'd credit me the $250 that I gave up when I canceled the first order.

I would wait a couple of weeks to see what incentives Tesla offers for this quarter

Evaluate how much emotional damage you will take if trade in for $2,350 less than what originally made you happy about at original order time

Evaluate how much emotional damage you will take if you go through the process to sell to a private party to get $43,000 or more.

Evaluate how much emotional damage you will take if you do NOT get the car.

If any of these scenarios presents little or no emotional damage, its probably the right one :)

Reactions: teko and TFCooper3
Evaluate how much emotional damage you will take if trade in for $2,350 less than what originally made you happy about at original order time

Evaluate how much emotional damage you will take if you go through the process to sell to a private party to get $43,000 or more.

Evaluate how much emotional damage you will take if you do NOT get the car.

If any of these scenarios presents little or no emotional damage, its probably the right one :)
Excellent questions.
I don't like selling to private parties, so I'd prefer the KBB/dealer route even if it's less money.
The other answers are little or no emotional damage.

Update: the first KBB dealer that I went to confirmed the KBB soft offer of $40,650. Based in part on that, I re-ordered a new MSLR. Turns out that my decision to cancel may have been serendipitous, since Tesla came back with a new trade-in offer of $37,100. This was with the same pictures of the same car.
Then, a week ago Tesla started their promotion allowing the transfer of free supercharging from old cars to new cars. So I signed up for that too.
Bottom line: good thing I canceled that first order!

Reactions: My_MMS_75D