Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Final Trade-In Offer 25% Less

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently decided to get the new red MSLR, and trade in my Dec. 2019 (2020) MSLR with free lifetime supercharging. Love that new color.
Based on a trade-in indication of $43,000 I placed the order. The final trade-in offer came in at $31,000. I canceled the order and ate the $250.

The only flaws on my current MSLR (28,000 miles) are 1) a slight rear bumper scratch/dent (shown in pic) and 2) a tiny bit of rim rash on the RR wheel. How much is all that worth?
Tesla Rear View.jpg

Reactions: Propofoln and myoda
I'd sell private party, or to a local car dealer. Telsa is known for lowballing trade in offers. I was thinking of doing the same deal - transferring FSD and trading my 17 100D just for the sales tax advantage, but the offer for my car was insulting from Tesla. Did you have FSD on your trade? It looks like they deducted 12K from the original trade in indicator.

I'd sell private party, or to a local car dealer. Telsa is known for lowballing trade in offers.
I read things like that a lot. Private party, consignment then trade in, in terms of best to worst. That was for only ICE ages stealerships. Now with Tesla in the mix, gotta add a fourth item. Tesla trade-in as the worst. They are very convenient and will always buy your car.

I'd sell private party, or to a local car dealer. Did you have FSD on your trade?
Good advice on a private sale or local dealer. I'm reluctant to sell to a private party because I'd rather not have people coming to my house.
No FSD on this car.

I actually don't mind a "lowball" trade-in offer: Tesla is running a business after all. I just wish they had come in with their $31K offer first (or $35K or whatever), rather than $43K dropped down to $31K.

I recently traded in our 2018 Model 3 MR for a new MYP. The trade in offer was a lot lower than what our car would sell for in the used car market, but still higher than what I was offered by other services like Carvana and Driveway. Earlier this year I traded in a 2018 Model S100D, and the trade in offer from Tesla was actually pretty good, and much higher than what the car buying services offered (including CarMax). Always a good idea to get multiple quotes.

I recently traded in our 2018 Model 3 MR for a new MYP. The trade in offer was a lot lower than what our car would sell for in the used car market, but still higher than what I was offered by other services like Carvana and Driveway. Earlier this year I traded in a 2018 Model S100D, and the trade in offer from Tesla was actually pretty good, and much higher than what the car buying services offered (including CarMax). Always a good idea to get multiple quotes.
Back in late 2019, I traded in my 2016 Model X on this Model S, and had a positive experience with Tesla's trade-in process. They gave me a reasonable offer from the get-go and honored it throughout the purchase.

Just sold my old '16 two weeks ago, days after picking up the new 23. Tesla's trade in value was a laughable 14K.

It ultimately sold for just under 30k to a PP buyer for. Carvana etc were just under 20k, but I ultimately sold at the upper end of KBB excellent range via PP.

For a much newer car, Carvana etc should be better than Tesla and a reasonable option if you don't want to deal with PP.