Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Final trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
C

candida

D0276708-FE5C-4BB2-A56B-EEB586ECD11C.jpeg
32A8C566-38BD-40B9-960E-A20B8E413887.jpeg

and this is why I sold it this morning.

Thanks all; it’s been fun.

Not entirely sure what your point is. With home, charging it would've been marginally cheaper than an economic ICE. In my S in winter I’d have been lucky to manage 400 wh/m so even less economic. But totally agree that middle of Wales lacks access to fast chargers and fast charging costs too much to be attractive at the mo'. Add insurance costs and any Tesla repair costs, customer service issues, and mine may well be going soon too. Economics are different for those buying through business and those of use retired and financing it all.

Reactions: boombap
View attachment 898094View attachment 898095

and this is why I sold it this morning.

Thanks all; it’s been fun.
Look at your AVG Energy. ALL above 320 kwh/mi that means 3 miles per kilowatt. During more temperate months (50-70 degrees F) if I drive conservatively I get as low as 160-170 kwh/mi which is 5 to 6 miles per kwh. This has to be due to alot of hills and cold weather. You'll get about the same with any other EV unless a new battery technology comes along. The previous poster it right 10cent/kwh. I pay 26cent/kwh US

I assume he is saying that based on his average usage of 320wh/m his real world 100-0 range is 220 miles and that is too low.
He was driving a preheat pump M3P though which, anecdotally at least, is easily the least efficient variant of 3/Y models. Though no doubt the people who buy them are also among the most "enthusiastic" Tesla drivers which probably does not help.

Reactions: Js1977
I assume he is saying that based on his average usage of 320wh/m his real world 100-0 range is 220 miles and that is too low.
He was driving a preheat pump M3P though which, anecdotally at least, is easily the least efficient variant of 3/Y models. Though no doubt the people who buy them are also among the most "enthusiastic" Tesla drivers which probably does not help.
If I well recall (circa 15 years ago) my impreza sti would only do ab out 180 miles on a full tank... £60 a week on fuel... Moved on to motorbikes after that for my fix... you have to pay to play 😬

Range is a legitimate issue in my book. If I’d known the real range was just over 200 miles 3 years ago I’m not sure I’d have bought an EV. It’s mostly manageable but you’ve got to respect that (if that is the reason for selling). Not everyone has 2 cars.

I no longer have a Model 3 neither, replaced with a petrol car. Range isn't the issue for me, it's the worsening charger availability worries. Those that are working are in constant use. If, like me, you rely on public charging due to living in a flat then EVs are too difficul to live with and too expensive to run. It was fine up to about a year ago but I don't see any signs of network expansion in alignment with EV sales. I include Tesla in that. They are more reliable and easier to use but just as under capacity as every other network these days.

I am guessing cost is not his issue its the PiTA that is filling up an EV away from home. Which is getting worse not better.
AND maybe the cost.
Tell me about it. I never filled my car at home either, had less range and cant recall the whole song and dance taking less than 10 minutes either. I suppose we will just have to keep guessing since he dropped the turd on our doorstep and done a runner...Im sure @PITA gets sick and tired of getting collared on these matters 🤣

• Love
Reactions: PITA
I no longer have a Model 3 neither, replaced with a petrol car. Range isn't the issue for me, it's the worsening charger availability worries. Those that are working are in constant use. If, like me, you rely on public charging due to living in a flat then EVs are too difficul to live with and too expensive to run. It was fine up to about a year ago but I don't see any signs of network expansion in alignment with EV sales. I include Tesla in that. They are more reliable and easier to use but just as under capacity as every other network these days.
Unfortunately as you found its not for everyone. I know some people are determined to make it work but at the end of the day it's whatever makes your life easier at any given time. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: fantasmagorica
Model 3 Performance for the misses for the school run, going to train station and me to have a blast when I fancy it. ICE vehicle for long journeys, and family trips.

I see lots about the cost and electricity is a bit cheaper and so on. I have to be honest that isn't really a factor I care about, the convenience and experience is. This is why people pay more for a higher-star hotel going on holiday abroad, rather than going to Bultins all the time. No offence Butlins, had some nice holidays there as a kid :)

I'd rather pay 3 - 4 times more to run an ICE than have to queue for Bultins... I mean chargers.

Last edited: